General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Age of the 'Average' Fit Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:57 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mholbrook38
Looks like the average Fit owner (FitFreak Member) is somewhere between 17 and 80, loves cars and is enthusiastic about their Fit be it GD3 or GE8.
Heh, I think you nailed it. I was about to respond with "There are two Fit age groups: under 25 and over 45." when I saw posts from thirty-somethings. So it looks like all age groups are entranced by the little beastie.
Just the kind of group I like to find myself in.
Ditto that.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
I became a Fit owner last month. I'm 56 and still playing in a rock band on weekends. I may be growing old, but I'll never grow up. The Fit is the most fun I've ever had on four wheels, and it carries all my band gear. Fun, practical and affordable in one package? How could I NOT buy one?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Old fart fit guy 61 yrs OLD

Hi I too cleared H.S. in 1965,U.S.A.F.SEA in 1966 zipping around in my SSm auto Fit.I really like this car cause I feel 23 when I'm behind the wheel.
jimrb66

Old 04-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Talking Uh, I feel young at 48...

Uh, I feel young, at 48, because of all you old guys here in this thread!

%^)

>THANK YOU, veterans!<

My g'pa was a mechanic/salesman at a Chevy dealer for over 50 years, so Chevy blood courses through my veins.

I thought I'd never succumb to the foreign car mentality, but this Honda Fit is great!

I moved my second son into his dorm at Pitt in one trip!

Clear to DC, for the other son, with stuff stuffed into his Cavalier and the rest in our Fit.

Heck, I could buy two of them for what I paid for one of my Blazers, and I have more usable room in IT!

I could rave on.

As an aside, my bro-in-law said he read a report that placed the Ducati motorcycle and the Fit into the "best bang for the buck" category.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Talking "Jew" got it!

Originally Posted by manxman
Good testimonial, Craig. BTW, smoked salmon isn't a myth. Try some!

Yes, we have kosher delicatessens in Shadyside and Squirrelhill.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nmfit2008
Hey FitFreakers,

I am 69, and we just came up on our 1 yr anniv with our '08 Fit 5-speed. We drive it hard, and it has rewarded us with a one-yr gas average of 41.3 mpg.

Ya got me beat by a year. I'm only 68 - enjoying my 2007 5 speed sport - when I'm not riding my Suzuki Volusia.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by nmfit2008
To FitNewbie,

My recommendation in buying a Fit is simple....do not buy the auto trans.

The 5-speed manual is way more fun...and easy to shift. But it also has more power when needed (with shifting), and will certainly get much better gas mileage than the auto.
Whether or not the manual is more fun is debatable. When I was younger I preferred a manual but not anymore.

The manual (sport model) allows for downshifting so I don't know about your argument about more power through shifting... although I tend to agree. With a manual you simply have more control over the gearing.

However, regarding the manual vs automatic I don't know that there is much of a difference in mpg. This used to be true in the 80s and early ninetees, but technology has improved considerably.

In my mind, the only reason to get a manual transmission is if you're very obsessed about mpg and you like the ability to shift and have more control of the car. Seeing that most on this forum appear to be the younger "lemme tweak my car for more performance" crowd (as far as I can tell from the language and the topics) - I suspect most want manual transmissions for the macho factor not the mpg...
Been there, done that, bought the book

I'm all about automatic transmissions these days.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by mozarwasagenius
Whether or not the manual is more fun is debatable. When I was younger I preferred a manual but not anymore.

The manual (sport model) allows for downshifting so I don't know about your argument about more power through shifting... although I tend to agree. With a manual you simply have more control over the gearing.

However, regarding the manual vs automatic I don't know that there is much of a difference in mpg. This used to be true in the 80s and early ninetees, but technology has improved considerably.

In my mind, the only reason to get a manual transmission is if you're very obsessed about mpg and you like the ability to shift and have more control of the car. Seeing that most on this forum appear to be the younger "lemme tweak my car for more performance" crowd (as far as I can tell from the language and the topics) - I suspect most want manual transmissions for the macho factor not the mpg...
Been there, done that, bought the book

I'm all about automatic transmissions these days.
Plus, it's easier to have one hand on your woman and the other for driving with an auto.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by minnemike
Plus, it's easier to have one hand on your woman and the other for driving with an auto.
ok, the adolescent in me finds that very funny

Old 04-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Im 20, Ill be 21 in december and hope to own a fit before then or shortly after.

I know a 65 year old man who has a 09 purple fit.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PossibleFitNewbie
Hey everybody. I'm curious about this and thought I would ask. What is the 'average' Fit owner age? Many of the folks around here seem to be in younger age brackets (late teens & early twenties). I'm 40 myself. Not a Fit owner just yet though (but hoping!!!!).

Jeff (PossibleFitOwner)
I'm almost 49 1/2 (holds up a bunch of fingers...uh, and I need to borrow more fingers...)

Just the other day I passed by some folks who were a bit older than me, driving an 09 Storm Silver Metallic Sport and their steely hair (a couple) totally matched the car color. It looked really cool.

It's the total package. It's the "one size fits all" kind of car.

1. It's an entry level car
2. It's a sporty car
3. It's a family car
4. It's a single person's car
5. It's got everything standard that you need
6. It's got many add-ons available to modify to your heart's content
7. It's an economy car
8. It's a reliable car
9. It's a car for auto cross
10. It's a car for commuting
11. It's a HONDA!!!

If you remember back to the 70's, each one of the above would bring to mind a very different car. Economy wasn't sporty. Reliable wasn't modified. Auto cross wasn't a family car.

Entry level cars, well, you were lucky if they came with seats and doors. Let alone stereos and A/C.

And nobody auto crosses a Yugo. (I hope)

It was pretty clear who the market was for each car. And for a lot of cars on the market now, it's still pretty clear who the manufacturers are aiming at. Like Scion. It started as a serious competitor to Honda (my opinion) but now it's appearance, it's something I just can't get into. It's too hooligan-chopped-top looking???

But with the FIT, it has an overall pleasing appearance. That isn't trying TOO hard to be something. So people don't know if it's OK for them to buy it. LOL!

I wasn't sure if I'd have to argue with young people over buying the car, because I liked it for it's economy, reliability, etc.

Sort of like that old beer ad: "Tastes great" vs "Less filling".

"It's a young person's sporty car" vs "It's an older person's reliable, dependable car". Or "An older person's sporty car" vs "a younger person's reliable, dependable responsible car".

It works either way. And nobody ends up feeling out of place in the car.

What a really want to know though, is does this hatchback make my butt look big?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mozarwasagenius
ok, the adolescent in me finds that very funny
And the old fart in me finds that desirable.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
25 here.

I bought it for the space for my dogs. Chose it over a yaris because I also wanted something fun-to-drive and with decent handling. Needed excellent gas mileage, and better reliability than a VW golf/rabbit.
I absolutely love my car and have never regretted my decision. If anything happens to our Mazda3 we'll pick up another Fit.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Mileage

Hey Mozarwasagenius,

If you look over on the eco thread, at the mileage figures:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...nomy-poll.html

Most of the auto trans drivers are getting between 27 -35 mpg. Many who drive mostly in city driving are getting low 20's, and not very happy with the auto trans Fit. There are a few who drive mostly highway, and are getting good mileage....low 40's even.

But people with the manual trans are generally getting better mileage with mixed driving. I have found that on the open road, the Fit prefers to stay at 65 or below. It handles well at 80 mph or higher, but it eats the gas at those speeds. There is one guy who drives his Fit at 95 mph much of the time. He doesn't worry about gas econ!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
kayak

I have shown this about a yr ago, but just for review....

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...oofracks04.jpg

this is how we look when loading two kayaks for our trip to the Rio Grande most weekends in Spring and Summer.

The 2-man kayak is inside...an inflatable 13-ft kayak, plus equipment and food for the day.

The water in the Rio is snow runoff coming down from Colorado....so right now there is lots of water....but it is very cold.

Last edited by nmfit2008; 04-06-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: add the pic
Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm 25. This is the 1st car that I bought entirely on my own money.

'09 TW GE M/T.

Last edited by EK3 Ferio; 04-07-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
I'm 26 myself.

Fell in love with the little critter when the GD1 was featured in Autocar ASEAN's January 2002 issue - the GD Fit was barely 6 months old by then. Back then I was wondering when it would come to the Philippines. Four years later, it became a reality.

Fast-forward to 2007 and I found myself behind the wheel of a second-hand 2005 GD1 Jazz. I'm indulging my curiosity and DIY fetish with it, the first car I've done so.

Funny thing is, in the UK, people see most Hondas (i.e. those without the Type R badge) as old man's cars, the Jazz/Fit included, and people my age wouldn't want to be caught dead in one. Over here, the Jazz and its hatchback competitors are seen as yuppie-mobiles for twentysomethings, and Hondas in general are deemed desirable by younger people. It differs depending on where you go I guess but it seems the Jazz/Fit just attracts all ages

Old 04-07-2009, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TaffetaWhite
I'm almost 49 1/2 (holds up a bunch of fingers...uh, and I need to borrow more fingers...)

Just the other day I passed by some folks who were a bit older than me, driving an 09 Storm Silver Metallic Sport and their steely hair (a couple) totally matched the car color. It looked really cool.

It's the total package. It's the "one size fits all" kind of car.

1. It's an entry level car
2. It's a sporty car
3. It's a family car
4. It's a single person's car
5. It's got everything standard that you need
6. It's got many add-ons available to modify to your heart's content
7. It's an economy car
8. It's a reliable car
9. It's a car for auto cross
10. It's a car for commuting
11. It's a HONDA!!!

If you remember back to the 70's, each one of the above would bring to mind a very different car. Economy wasn't sporty. Reliable wasn't modified. Auto cross wasn't a family car.

Entry level cars, well, you were lucky if they came with seats and doors. Let alone stereos and A/C.

And nobody auto crosses a Yugo. (I hope)

It was pretty clear who the market was for each car. And for a lot of cars on the market now, it's still pretty clear who the manufacturers are aiming at. Like Scion. It started as a serious competitor to Honda (my opinion) but now it's appearance, it's something I just can't get into. It's too hooligan-chopped-top looking???

But with the FIT, it has an overall pleasing appearance. That isn't trying TOO hard to be something. So people don't know if it's OK for them to buy it. LOL!

I wasn't sure if I'd have to argue with young people over buying the car, because I liked it for it's economy, reliability, etc.

Sort of like that old beer ad: "Tastes great" vs "Less filling".

"It's a young person's sporty car" vs "It's an older person's reliable, dependable car". Or "An older person's sporty car" vs "a younger person's reliable, dependable responsible car".

It works either way. And nobody ends up feeling out of place in the car.

What a really want to know though, is does this hatchback make my butt look big?

I couldn't have said it better, myself. IMO, Honda "hit one out of the park" with this car, creating a car with very broad appeal that can be almost anything you want it to be. This is why there may be no such thing as an "average" Fit owner.

Or to put it another way, Fit owners are not "average".

Old 04-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by PossibleFitNewbie
Hey everybody. I'm curious about this and thought I would ask. What is the 'average' Fit owner age? Many of the folks around here seem to be in younger age brackets (late teens & early twenties). I'm 40 myself. Not a Fit owner just yet though (but hoping!!!!).

Jeff (PossibleFitOwner)

I'm 30 and bought my Fit on sunday.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 PM
congratulations djcrb9!

Quick Reply: Age of the 'Average' Fit Owner