General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

TPMS light, grrr.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
TPMS light, grrr.

What a pain in the ass. I've been driving since the late 80's and never needed a computer to tell me when to check my tires, lol. Anyhoo....I put a set of tires on 2 weeks ago, and accidentally broke one of the monitors. I went to the dealer and bought a new one, and the book said they program themselves once driving 40 seconds above 15 mph I think. I got done, and the light NEVER came on.

A week later, the TPMS light came on. I was thinking.....ok why now? I checked the air pressure in all 4, plus the spare, as recommended on the door. Any ideas what this might be? Gracias

Old 06-11-2011, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by captainhowdy
What a pain in the ass. I've been driving since the late 80's and never needed a computer to tell me when to check my tires, lol. Anyhoo....I put a set of tires on 2 weeks ago, and accidentally broke one of the monitors. I went to the dealer and bought a new one, and the book said they program themselves once driving 40 seconds above 15 mph I think. I got done, and the light NEVER came on.

A week later, the TPMS light came on. I was thinking.....ok why now? I checked the air pressure in all 4, plus the spare, as recommended on the door. Any ideas what this might be? Gracias
Well, first of all, I'm old school...or just getting old, but I agree with you. TPMS...might be safer for a lot of idiots that NEVER check their tires..or even look at their tires...but I think for the majority TPMS ends up being just a costly PIA...if I could NOT have it? I'd personally rather NOT have it...but I guess on modern cars it's going to be part of the unavoidable future.

When you say "The Book" are you talking owners manual? Because I was under the impression that if you "replaced" a TPMS you had to have it programmed. Usually the dealer.

I could be wrong about this. But my loose guess is that you either need to have the new sensor programmed at the dealer (guess what? More spent money!) or you have bought a defective new unit.

Can't think of much else it could be.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
I went by the door jam sticker as far as pressure to use....I didn't see a monitor in the spare but they say it does. The Mitchell procedure says no re set procedure necessary.....I just find it weird that it randomly came on a week after doing the work and hasn't gone off since. I guess I'd go to the dealer if I had to, but what a silly reason, lol. Oh well, I never did the recall headlight wiring repair, maybe I'll drop it off for those things and it seems more worthwhile, lol.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Check my signature link to just eliminate the damn thing. Useless light.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:17 PM
If it's a new TPMS sensor the car (not the sensor) has to be programmed- each sensor has a code and the car doesn't learn it automatically.

We can all say we check our tire pressure and don't need this, but MOST people don't check it. Plus, let's say you're on a long journey and there's a slow leak. You might not notice it until the tire's close to flat... it's useful technology and it saves gas for the people who don't check their tires (plus adds a bit of safety).

Old 06-13-2011, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by captainhowdy

I know for a fact that on GE8s, the sensor needs to be programed to the car either at the dealer or with an after market device.

Now, once the sensor detects low pressure (sets off light) and you fill it up, a very short drive (less than a city block) should clear it.

Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
If it's a new TPMS sensor the car (not the sensor) has to be programmed- each sensor has a code and the car doesn't learn it automatically.

We can all say we check our tire pressure and don't need this, but MOST people don't check it. Plus, let's say you're on a long journey and there's a slow leak. You might not notice it until the tire's close to flat... it's useful technology and it saves gas for the people who don't check their tires (plus adds a bit of safety).
I don't think that I could agree more with what was said here.

No offense to anyone here, but NO woman that I know AND most men rarely check their tire pressure. Those of us on this forum, or similar, are the exception.

Also, it's VERY hard, if not impossible, to visually see the difference between a tire inflated to 28 PSI (enough to set off the TPMS) or one inflated to 32-33 PSI as recommended by Honda.

Why not have the light giving these people an early reminder to fill them up before they get dangerously low?

I am all for them, so long as they are reliable units that don't need to be replaced/ serviced often. So far, we rarely hear of failures so they seem to fit the bill.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
I hated the idea of the TPMS system when I first got the car, but twice now it's saved a tire for me. Most recently, I checked the tires on a Friday night, and all was well. Set out for a doctor's appointment early the next morning, and was warned of a soft tire by the TPMS.

Apparently, a bit of dirt got caught in the tire valve when I checked the tires, and overnight the tire went soft. I pumped up the tire and it's still holding pressure, but if not for the warning, I might have ruined the tire or worse.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
I don't mind the nanny for the same reasons as Uncle Gary. The Honda system makes it impossible to just buy a set of winter tires, swap, and go. The car cannot learn the new sensors. Program in the winter, program again in the spring.

Pain. Other cars learn by themselves.