General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

The worst dealership sales lines you encountered while shopping for a Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:48 PM
The worst dealership sales lines you encountered while shopping for a Fit?

I was so glad to be done with shopping for a Fit yesterday. Here are the worst sales lines that were tossed my way. Out of some degree of politeness, I won't specify which dealerships and reps these lines came from.
  • "We don't mark-up our Fits. Other dealerships in the Bay Area sell them for $2,000 more!" (Dealership offer was MSRP)
  • "This is the best offer you'll get. Nobody sells a Fit for under MSRP. If you wanna walk, that's no problem. No harm, no foul." (Offer was already beaten and beaten further with a 5-minute phone call to another dealership.)
  • "You don't need the sound-dampening of the 2012 Fit. All you need to do is change the tires."
  • "An alarm and LoJack are important. Fits are like Civics and Accords. They're among the most-stolen cars in America."

So, what's the worst you've heard when you were shopping?

Last edited by GVlog; 08-28-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i take it you dont shop cars that often?

the worst ive heard was from some chick sales person at a mazadah dealership insisting that the protege5 (years back) had a 8valve 32 cylinder or something.

i was like wow, how's that even possible? and she was like 'yah, i know, it's a great car!' *facepalm*

Old 08-29-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
i take it you dont shop cars that often?

the worst ive heard was from some chick sales person at a mazadah dealership insisting that the protege5 (years back) had a 8valve 32 cylinder or something.

i was like wow, how's that even possible? and she was like 'yah, i know, it's a great car!' *facepalm*

Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Those do sound really bad. I would be intimidated if I was in those lines.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
Way back when I was shopping for my Fit and I was determined to get a 5 speed, the sales guy took me out in two different auto sports to try and convince me that the shifter paddles were more fun than the 5 speed. He was convinced that this was my first car (I was 18 when I got mine) and that I didn't know how to work a stick. Hahaha, nope....

Old 08-31-2011, 03:42 PM
The best thing you can do is get "out the door" quotes from your local dealers on line. That way you will know who is the cheapest. Don't get the selling price, but the out the door price. Everyone will sell the you the car for 15k, but when you get there, the dealer will have all these other options added to raise the price of the car back up. As long as the selling price in your email is the same when you get there, you really don't have any recourse if try and say they are pulling a fast one on you. I know as I was in the business for about 8 years.

As embarassing as it is I have pitched all the typical lines...LOL.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
I had a salesperson tell me that there hadn't been a manual Fit in the state of Michigan in months, and that they'd never be able to locate one. The following weekend I found one 40 miles away and bought it.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 AM
since im in the market for something specific, a white 2012 sport with 5spd I was told by this lady yesterday a bunch of crap! They only had 1 in stock (blue auto w/navi) This is what she said.

Her:The price for the navigation is a heck of a deal
Me: Its like $3,000. I can get a garmin for like $200 and still not get lost.
Her: Yes but they dont work as great as these do.

Her: Whats so important about having a 5spd rather than auto? Its practically the same
Me: All 6 cars i've had are 5sp, i just like that over auto, its more fun to drive.
Her: Its better on gas if you get auto, your MPG go up so much

Her: There seems to be no white sports with 5spd in all of california
Me: well I will keep looking cuz i really dont like that blue
Her: Is there another choice you would like"
Me: Chrome metallic
Her: There is one near by but we dont deal with that dealer, nor would we like to but here is their info...

It seems like sales people are not what they use to be before. I remember walking into a dealership and getting offered drinks, food, and them even driving me to other local dealers to check out the inventory. It seems they dont wanna sell. I contacted the manager today from that same dealership and told him my experience and he said he will do everything he can to get my car. Now that i have a bad experience, i got something to use against them and haggle prices down. lol

Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by jayhawker
The best thing you can do is get "out the door" quotes from your local dealers on line. That way you will know who is the cheapest. Don't get the selling price, but the out the door price. Everyone will sell the you the car for 15k, but when you get there, the dealer will have all these other options added to raise the price of the car back up. As long as the selling price in your email is the same when you get there, you really don't have any recourse if try and say they are pulling a fast one on you. I know as I was in the business for about 8 years. .
Thanks so much for this tip!!! I bought my white base auto Fit about 2 weeks ago and got the OTD prices from the dealers, so I could compare apples to apples. It's amazing how much of a difference there is for "tags" from one dealer to another ($300 difference from the lowest to the highest!) I am just lucky that I was able to find my choice of color and paid below MSRP.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Not while purchasing the Fit... but one sales guy once told me this...

"It will likely never be this clean again!"

Old 09-29-2011, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GVlog
"An alarm and LoJack are important. Fits are like Civics and Accords. They're among the most-stolen cars in America."

So, what's the worst you've heard when you were shopping?
While obviously they were trying to scare you into purchasing more stuff from them, Honda insurance rates are generally higher than other competitors' cars due to Hondas typically having higher theft rates.

I don't knock car salesmen too much since that's just their job, plus I had given that job a try before as well (though I was cool about it and customers really liked me because of it), though here are some funny things I remember:

[While test driving a new 2003 WRX years ago] Salesman: "The WRX is the only car where you can be at 60 mph, downshift, then pop a wheelie."

[After the test drive, when I was talking about how I was looking at the SRT-4] Salesman: "The WRX is faster... look at the 0-60 times, the WRX does it in 5.4 seconds and the SRT-4 does it in 5.6 seconds."
Me: "What about after 60 mph?"
Salesman: "..."

[Before test driving a 2003 SRT-4 as the salesman tried to start the car] Salesman: "Damnit, this car isn't working either."
Me: "Put the clutch in before you turn the key."
[Salesman puts the clutch in and starts the car, and it starts. Earlier we ditched another SRT-4 which he said wasn't working, and he thought that I had tampered with it.]
Salesman: "Oh..."
Me: "So did you also not put the clutch in when trying to start the other SRT-4?"
Salesman: "Um... no."
[The salesman was easily 300+ pounds, and I didn't want to test drive the first one to begin with since it was parked close to another car and I figured it would be hard for him to get in, but I didn't want to say that, so when the other car wasn't working, he thought that I did something to it like I said earlier, even though I was being nice by not saying his fat ass wouldn't fit.]

[Talking to a salesman at a Mitsubishi dealership] Salesman: "What kind of car do you drive right now?"
Me: "A Mercedes E320, parked outside."
Salesman: "Want to trade it in for this C240?"

[Test driving a 2007 Civic Si a few years ago, which I told him I was looking at since I had an Evo and was looking for something that might use less gas, even though I just wanted to have fun with it] Salesman: "So what did you think of the Civic Si?"
Me: "It was fun, but it just didn't do it for me. It's not fast or fun enough."
Salesman: "Well, we have a G35 inside, how about that?"
Me: "That is slower than my Evo and gets the same, if not worse, mpg, so no."

Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Sorry to bring up a old thread, but I have a good one from my salesman.

I had asked where the storage bin under the rear seat on the driver side was. I really wasn't sure where it was. I knew more about the car than he did for sure though, so I made him work for it. Here is how it went.

Me: So where is this hidden storage area under the rear seat?
Guy: Uhhh, hold on, uhh, I'm not sure(while he is looking around in the car for a solid 5mins or more)
Me: Well it has to be in here, its on the list of included items, so it has to be here.
Guy: I know it has to be here, I am just not seeing it. But still looking for it he goes on.

Now he come across that little storage bin in the very back on the pass. side, you know where you put towels or something.

Guy: Ohh you see here, this must be it.
Me: How is this it, its not under the seat and its on the pass. side of the car.
Guy: Well it must be it, cause you know these cars are from Japan. And in Japan they drive on the right side, so everything is switched, so this must be it.
MeGetting a bit frustrated after I explain to him that it is not it) This is not it, I know all about these cars, and about how the cars are designed in Japan. I know the difference between the two. So this is not it, I would like to know where it is.
Guy: Goes inside the dealer, to either look it up, or ask a superior person.
Me: (Waiting for 10min plus)
Guy: Comes out of dealership, immediately shows me where it is. After he had to look it up.

You would think he would know where it was, know everything about what he is selling. Haha, I know they don't. One could wish though.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM
Thats a pretty sweet story, brah

Old 02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Thumbs down Worst for me was...

At Landmark Honda in Alexandria. They had two Blackberry Pearl automatics, and the saleman took me out to an empty space to see one...so we went inside so he could locate the other one in the parking garage, but before he could find it the sales manager told him that he needed the computer to close the deal he was working on, and for my salesman to log off immediately.

I told the sales manager that if he logged off my salesman before he finds my car, I was walking out and not coming back. He did not care...I walked out an bought the exact car elsewhere...I now WILL NEVER buy a car from Landmark Honda in Alexandria EVER!...

Old 02-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Him "Your new Honda Fit will run 0-60 times rivaling the used Evo we have at a fraction of the price."
Me "Do you mind if we take the Evo out so we can compare."
Him "Just trust me."

FAIL

Old 02-21-2012, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Wow... the guy really thinks that people believe that?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Yeah dood! It haz that mad vtec yo...

wow I can't believe I just typed that. I apologize to the entire forum.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Taking the Fit on a test drive and having the saleman give me the entire blah blah blah when I get back to the dealership and then him saying do you have any questions:

Me: Pop the hood
Him: Pop the hood?
Me: Yeah pop the hood
Me: Yes I'd like to see the engine
Him: I've been selling cars for 10 years and I've never had a female
who was shopping on her own ask to see the engine.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GVlog
Fits are like Civics and Accords. They're among the most-stolen cars in America."
Oh that shit F@#K ...

Last edited by phenoyz; 03-29-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cat
Taking the Fit on a test drive and having the saleman give me the entire blah blah blah when I get back to the dealership and then him saying do you have any questions:

Me: Pop the hood
Me: Yeah pop the hood
Me: Yes I'd like to see the engine
Him: I've been selling cars for 10 years and I've never had a female
who was shopping on her own ask to see the engine.
At first, I thought you were trying to be funny by quoting The Fast and the Furious. But that is still funny.

Quick Reply: The worst dealership sales lines you encountered while shopping for a Fit?