Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Honda Fit vs. Toyota Matrix

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Honda Fit vs. Toyota Matrix

I am comparing the 2009 Matrix with the 2008 (soon to be 2009) Honda Fit. First off, I know, I should be comparing the Fit to the Yaris or something, but I hate the Yaris and a hatchback is a necessity. So, I pretty much prefer everything about the Fit except the size. The Fit gets better gas mileage and it seems to be designed more intelligently, ie all the seating configurations. The addition of "Tall Mode" is a great idea, not only for carrying stuff, but also for traveling with my english bulldog. I love him to death, but he's not too bright. The way the Matrix seats fold flat, they leave space between the back of the front seats and the folded rear seats because the headrests don't retract (as they intelligently do in the Fit). He would find some way to get himself wedged in there, part of him anyway. In the 2009 Fit, with the seats folded flat, they are pretty much flush with the back of the front seats, which is great. Even better, he could just roam around the floor in tall mode. Another gripe I have with the Matrix is that with the base model, the front passenger seat doesn't fold flat. What a joke!

My only real issue with the Fit is cargo space. Comparing the 2008 Fit to the 2009 Matrix (which isn't accurate, I know, as the Fit is getting slightly larger), the Matrix cargo volume with seats down is 48.9 cubic feet compared to 41.9 for the Fit. Also, the depth in the cargo area with the seats up is 26" for the Fit and 33" for the Matrix. The Matrix cargo area is also wider in certain areas because of the wheel well positioning. I guess I don't really have a question, I'm just throwing this out there looking for some thoughts. Maybe some people compared the two cars as well. Obviously, this is a biased site for feedback, but oh well.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member
If a hatchback is a necessity you might want to look into this

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...us-2009-a.html

But, I love my Fit and there's a lot of room for cargo, like you said. The '09 will be a little bigger, but I'm almost positive the Matrix will still have it beat in terms of cargo space. I can't relate too much with the dog issue, because I own a Chihuahua and he fits in the glovebox, j/k.

The Matrix was something I was thinking about getting for a second car. the only issue I had was price after you upgrade from the base model.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM
The Matrix, similarly equipped, is quite a bit more expensive than the Fit. For that extra money, you get a larger vehicle with a bit more storage space, and slightly less fuel economy. It's actually a pretty nice car, and I might have bought one if the Toyota sales guys hadn't turned me off so badly ("It's a Toyota, they sell themselves!"). Plus, with the Tall mode seat configuration, I can fit a 46" LCD TV upright in the box, can't do that with the Matrix!

Plus, certain parts of the Matrix felt cheaply made to me. All around, the Honda, to me, feels better made. I haven't seen the 2009 Matrix, though, so these comments are in regard to the 2007-2008 Matrix design.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:50 PM
5 Year Member
i dont know... The matrix looked decent in photos, but in real life it just looks like its other siblings on the Toyota line-up. I think Hondas have slight variations to each car giving them different personalities. I also dont like that the Pontiac something.. is it pontiac? Has a car that has the same interior as a matrix and slightly different exterior. All in all i just think the Fit is a bit more spunky and funner to look at.

The new one also no longer has a spare tire so it'll definitely have more room in the back and it'll be a gas saver too

Old 07-01-2008, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
do you want more power and space? or do you want better fuel economy (1.8 litre matrices withstanding) a cheaper entry price, and a nicer, more upscale interior?

it basically comes down to that.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
The new one also no longer has a spare tire so it'll definitely have more room in the back and it'll be a gas saver too
No spare tire? I guess that's great for space and all but...what about when you need a spare tire? What does Honda expect you to do?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by mpb2000
No spare tire? I guess that's great for space and all but...what about when you need a spare tire? What does Honda expect you to do?
Call AAA? :D

I Don't think the no spare tire thing is absolutely confirmed, is it? I don't believe the final specs for US have been revealed yet.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
spare parts

I think other countries offer the spare tire as option equipment. And I don't think Honda has said for sure the 09's wont have a spare. I'd be reluctant to buy a car without a spare tire, and I have yet to use one.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 AM
I did a search on the forum and there's a thread about the no spare tire rumor. Basically, no one knows for sure about the US version. Some people are saying yes, some say no, so that probably means Honda hasn't made it official. That might be a deal breaker for me if it isn't at least an option. I wouldn't want to drive around without a spare. I've had to use it on my car and my wife's car. Even though I'm concerned about space, that's one thing I wouldn't want to sacrifice. I've had to wait for AAA on a couple of occasions and it can take forever. Then you have to take it somewhere for the tire to be patched, etc. If you just have a spare you can change it in 15 or 20 minutes and be on your way and fix the tire when you have time, not while you're supposed to be in a meeting or something.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
well im sure that if they dont include a spare tire then they most likely will put on run-flat tires

Old 07-04-2008, 09:10 AM
I did a search on the forum and there's a thread about the no spare tire rumor. Basically, no one knows for sure about the US version. Some people are saying yes, some say no, so that probably means Honda hasn't made it official. That might be a deal breaker for me if it isn't at least an option. I wouldn't want to drive around without a spare. I've had to use it on my car and my wife's car. Even though I'm concerned about space, that's one thing I wouldn't want to sacrifice. I've had to wait for AAA on a couple of occasions and it can take forever. Then you have to take it somewhere for the tire to be patched, etc. If you just have a spare you can change it in 15 or 20 minutes and be on your way and fix the tire when you have time, not while you're supposed to be in a meeting or something.
Hi,

I posted the thread about the spare tire rumor. My feeling is that Honda will keep the spare for the American market, but that's only a hunch.

Here's how to solve your problem: Buy an '08 Fit. You'll save a few bucks over the '09 and avoid the possibility of not getting a spare. In my opinion the first-gen Fit is much better looking than the longer-snouted '09, which kind of merges with the Matrix in its overly sleek, futuristic, gumby-type appearance. Believe me, you'll have plenty of room in the Fit. I really like mine -- I'm averaging 41 mpg over my first 3000 miles. I've owned cars since the 1970s, and far and away I like this one the best.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Go with the Matrix, and when he gets wedged inbetween the floor and the seats take a picture for us, I'm laughing just thinking about it.

On a serious note I think you'll enjoy either car really, just test drive both of them and make sure to find out which one covers more of your needs.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I went to a Pontiac dealer and sat in a Vibe (the Vibe and the Matrix are virtually identical vehicles). Didn't test drive it today, as I want my wife to be there with me when we do. I thought it was a very comfy seat, and a very nice car.

Advantages of the Vibe, as I see it:

1. More power (132 hp in the 1.8L)
2. More cargo (49 cu ft with seats down, 20.1 with all seats up). Also, the cargo area is a plastic material, with rubber running strips that reduce the chance your crap will slide around. There are also several hidden pockets below the deck of the cargo floor.
3. More comfy driver seat, and I like all the seat fabric more. Also, I felt more comfy with my right foot--as they operate the pedals.
4. XM is standard, built in.
5. Height-adjustable seat.
6. Available rear-passenger air ducts under the seat.
7. Standard 110v outlet. (this is neat)
8. Center console!!!

Advantages of the Fit, as I see it:

1. Better economy (34mpg vs. 31)
2. Magic seats
3. The Fit's space is more efficient. Its a MUCH smaller car, but it only loses about 8 cu ft of cargo space compared to the Vibe/Matrix.
4. It ends up being cheaper overall... You have to add options to the Vibe to match what is standard on the Fit. When you load up the Vibe, you are talking about 19grand for the 1.8L. More for the 2.4.

The one thing I did not like about the Vibe is that they are really pushing the 2.4L engine.... There are options that SHOULD be available on the 1.8, but are only on the 2.4. Some of them are silly. For example, the 2.4 comes with a fold-down passenger seat. It folds flat, similar to the "Long Mode" of the Fit. But, the 1.8L does not have this, even as an option! Why would they do that? I do not need the extra power of the 2.4 (I think its 158hp), and then go down to 29mpg...

I think I will take the wife to go drive the Vibe tomorrow. Will let you know more about my test drive!

Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM
The one thing I did not like about the Vibe is that they are really pushing the 2.4L engine.... There are options that SHOULD be available on the 1.8, but are only on the 2.4. Some of them are silly. For example, the 2.4 comes with a fold-down passenger seat. It folds flat, similar to the "Long Mode" of the Fit. But, the 1.8L does not have this, even as an option! Why would they do that? I do not need the extra power of the 2.4 (I think its 158hp), and then go down to 29mpg...

Welcome to Toyota's world! I noticed this when I was shopping the Matrix. There are dozens of different versions of the car available, all with different prices, different packages.. it all got so confusing. The Fit made it easy! Manual or AT? OK. Base or Sport? OK. Color? OK. DONE!! Easy as pie. I wish more manufacturers would take this route.. none of this nickel-and-dime stuff in order to publish a cheaper "starting" price.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:40 AM
5 Year Member
Well, you can get tons of options to the Fit/Jazz also, but none of them is dependent of what car model you buy. As far as I know anyway.
Here in Norway we have around 100 diffrent items to choose from on the options list.

When I was test driving cars back in october 2006 before I ordered my Jazz I also had a look at the options list for those cars. And some options on the other cars only come with one particular model as mentioned above. I also saw another strange option: If I ordered a Ford Focus with AT I could not get the navigations system. The navigation system was only a option on MT?!?!

Some had other options, some of them was logical since eg cruise control on MT is not the best thing so they only offered as an option to AT. And some had a roof window and therefor you could not select the roof console for those cars either, but thats ok.

Back to topic:
I have not seen the Toyota Matrix here in my country, but when I was out testing Toyota there was not many models to choose from in the segment where the Jazz is. I could only get two diffrent cars from Toyota; the Yaris or the Verso. In my work I daily drive a car named Toyota Yaris Verso but that is not in sale anymore. The todays Toyota Yaris avaiable today is a 5-door car with much less cargo space vs the Honda Jazz. But else the Yaris is a nice car with about the same options and the same motor and mpg.

The new Toyota Verso is a model that in size is between the Yaris and Corolla. But unfortunately the Verso only come as a 2-seater (cargo transporter) or as a 7-seater. And all those seats take up ALL that precious cargo space. The Verso as a 5-seater would be a opponent to the Jazz. But still the 5-seater Verso would have less cargo space than the Jazz :)

Old 07-07-2008, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by FITDragon

Welcome to Toyota's world! I noticed this when I was shopping the Matrix. There are dozens of different versions of the car available, all with different prices, different packages.. it all got so confusing. The Fit made it easy! Manual or AT? OK. Base or Sport? OK. Color? OK. DONE!! Easy as pie. I wish more manufacturers would take this route.. none of this nickel-and-dime stuff in order to publish a cheaper "starting" price.
I also appreciated how simple it was to decide on which Fit I wanted. And fortunately Honda put everything I needed into the Sport model. Why not "vote" against the Toyota/Vibe corporate mindset by getting a Fit? You'll spend less at the outset and probably less over the life of the car, thanks to Honda quality. I have parked my Fit next to Vibes and Matrixes, and was struck with the size difference. As you point out, your mpg will be significantly better with a Fit, plus the Fit uses its space so efficiently. Also, be sure to check and see if you can get side curtain airbags in the Toyota/Vibe. This important safety feature may be bundled in with some expensive package giving you exotic junk you don't need.

Old 11-24-2022, 12:47 PM
I am comparing the 2009 Matrix with the 2008 (soon to be 2009) Honda Fit. First off, I know, I should be comparing the Fit to the Yaris or something, but I hate the Yaris and a hatchback is a necessity. So, I pretty much prefer everything about the Fit except the size. The Fit gets better gas mileage and it seems to be designed more intelligently, ie all the seating configurations. The addition of "Tall Mode" is a great idea, not only for carrying stuff, but also for traveling with my english bulldog. I love him to death, but he's not too bright. The way the Matrix seats fold flat, they leave space between the back of the front seats and the folded rear seats because the headrests don't retract (as they intelligently do in the Fit). He would find some way to get himself wedged in there, part of him anyway. In the 2009 Fit, with the seats folded flat, they are pretty much flush with the back of the front seats, which is great. Even better, he could just roam around the floor in tall mode. Another gripe I have with the Matrix is that with the base model, the front passenger seat doesn't fold flat. What a joke!

My only real issue with the Fit is cargo space. Comparing the 2008 Fit to the 2009 Matrix (which isn't accurate, I know, as the Fit is getting slightly larger), the Matrix cargo volume with seats down is 48.9 cubic feet compared to 41.9 for the Fit. Also, the depth in the cargo area with the seats up is 26" for the Fit and 33" for the Matrix. The Matrix cargo area is also wider in certain areas because of the wheel well positioning. I guess I don't really have a question, I'm just throwing this out there looking for some thoughts. Maybe some people compared the two cars as well. Obviously, this is a biased site for feedback, but oh well.
Both the Fit and Matrix have poor safety ratings. Both are flimsy little cars, so I wouldn't be too giddy about either, yet I see mothers driving children around in them. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Matrix but it makes more sense to forget both and get a Corolla.