Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Ferrari F40: The Eight prototypes

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member

Before we take Friday off, we thought we’d bring you something truly unusual, a prototype marking the birth of a car that defines “Supercar,” one of the eight known 1987 Ferrari F40 prototypes, chassis 74049.

SPECS:
580hp, 2936cc Tipo F120AB V-8, Weber-Marelli fuel injection, IHI twin turbos with intercoolers, magnesium cased five-speed manual transmission with AP racing clutch, four-wheel adjustable height independent suspension, four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,450mm (96.5”)

HISTORY:
The first F40 prototypes were not really F40s at all, but 288 GTO Evoluziones. Ferrai built five of these development exercises wearing bodies that had a mixture of GTO and F40 styling cues. The chassis and suspension parts developed for the 288 GTO Evo found their way under the upcoming model, but the first true F40 was chassis number 73015. It was assembled as a show car and greeted the public on July 21, 1987, at a press conference in Maranello. An aging Enzo Ferrari gave a speech praising the new F40 while refering to the days when street cars could also be raced on the track.

And raced they were. A total of 19 brutish F40LM racing versions were made up by Michelotto and campaigned with reasonable results, and some street cars were brought up to race spec as well. Other race versions were the mildly modified F40 GT and the more developed F40GT/E, which competed in various series.

Eight known F40 prototypes (73015, 74045, 74047, 74049, 74327, 75034, 75052 and 76354) were built for testing everything from suspension to drivetrain development. After showing at the 1987 Frankfurt Auto Show, 74047 was sent to Michelotto and made into an F40GT that ran successfully in the 1992 to 1994 Italian GT Championship. Prototype 74045 was later transformed into an F40LM (and then into a GT/E) and ran Le Mans in 1995 and 1996, while number 76354 was shown at the 1988 Geneva Auto Show.

Each of the F40 Prototypes was used differently, with each one serving a distinct and special purpose. One F40 Prototype was used to test the suspension system. Another was used to fine-tune the noise levels, emissions gear and brakes (power brakes were tried and rejected). One early prototype was set up for promotional purposes for car shows and press conferences. An unknown prototype gave its life against the crash barrier to satisfy American regulations, and one was used as a training dummy to instruct production line workers.

As development progressed, new prototypes were made up incorporating changes suggested by testing the earlier efforts. Track testing was done at Fiorano, Nardo, Imola and at the Alfa Romeo test track at Balocco, while street testing took place on thousands of miles of Italian roads.

Each F40 prototype differed in detail from the others, but there are visual differences from the later production F40s. Prototype tail sections have five louvers on each side underneath the spoiler, while the street cars have only four. Door mirror placement varies from car to car; some early prototypes have no outside mirrors, others have mirrors mounted on the side window while the street car mirrors are pedestal-mounted to the door itself. The Plexiglas rear engine cover also varies, with some prototypes having more louvers than standard.

The chassis on 74049, the Ferrari F40 Prototype presented here, appears to be the same as the ones used on the production line; that is, a steel tubular frame built by Ferrari supplier Vaccari reinforced with carbon fiber and Kevlar panels. However, the body panels are lighter than stock. The hood, doors and rear deck replicate the European production items (no bumper protection like on the U.S. version), but are thinner and lighter. The doors sport Lexan side windows with sliding vents, as did the first fifty or so of the production models before customer complaints caused Ferrari to switch to heavier glass roll-ups. There is no side impact protection in the doors and the belly pan is Kevlar, versus steel on U.S. models.

Five rear side vents on each side are consistent with prototype form, and the Plexiglas rear engine cover has twenty small slots, as opposed to just eleven larger ones on the standard cars. The side mirrors are mounted to the Lexan windows. In back, the license plate area is flanked by twin red fog warning lamps, which were only fitted to European models (and even then they were usually on the lower valence panel instead). There is no high brake warning light on the rear deck as on U.S.-spec models.

The interior is mostly standard. The dashboard and instruments are standard Euro F40 and Sabelt racing five-point safety harnesses are fitted on both sides. The seats are upholstered in red, and air conditioning is included for added comfort.

Underneath, things are subtly different. The suspension bushings are stiffer replacements similar to the F40 LM. Luongo reports the corner weights were within seven pounds side to side as delivered (convenient, as turning is difficult with no adjustable coil spring lands). 74049 is also fitted with the adjustable ride height option, which can be manually switched on to raise the car up for traversing bumps, or in automatic mode will progressively lower the car as speed increases. Normal ride height is 4.9″, which drops to 4.1″ at 75 mph, but can be raised to 5.9″ at low speeds. This hydraulic system was installed on very few cars (particularly in the U.S.); however, a number of cars had the system retrofitted. The brakes are standard calipers and rotors, which operate with aggressive racing pads.

On the scales, 74049 weighed 2,800 pounds wet, a good 200 pounds less than the 2,976 pounds (dry) weight of a U.S.-spec F40 (the competition LM reportedly weighed 2,315 pounds dry). Ferrari had initially announced the street F40 would weigh in at 2,425 pounds, but this was rather optimistic.

74049’s true singularity lies in its powerplant. The standard F40 engine is a Tipo F120A, while the higher output F40 LM used a Tipo F120B. Interestingly, the engine plate on 74049 states that it has a Tipo F120AB, which may be a cross between the two. Although most major components are the same as a standard F40, 74049 is believed to produce about 100hp more than the 478hp that a European model F40 produced (tested at 7,500 rpm without air passing through the intercoolers). This makes it only about 160 horsepower shy of an LM. The IHI turbos are different from stock, but not the same as the ones on an LM. The ECU is an enhanced one-off unit. Intercoolers are standard, but do not wear the BEHR lettering of the street units. As with European models, there is no catalytic converter and many of the brackets for the exhaust system are hand-fabricated. The air cleaners are also subtly different for no apparent reason. The fuel cell housing is made from carbon fiber.

The gearbox looks like a standard F40, and has a magnesium case like a 288 GTO. It is fitted with a three-plate (vs. two on the standard F40) AP racing clutch with a special throw-out bearing. Another interesting detail was the number of parts on the car sporting hand-lettered part numbers that could be changed as the project developed.

After its testing days were over, 74049 was retired. Reportedly, it spent time in the Ferrari museum before ownership was transferred by Luca di Montezemolo to a member of the Italian Royal Family. It subsequently passed through two additional owners since 1995 and is now being offered by RM at their Maranello sale in three weeks.

The Prototype F40, chassis no. 74049 is an amazing cross between the production F40 and the competition-only F40 LM. More than anything, it gives us a fascinating look into the life of a Ferrari prototype, where things are seldom as they seem.

Video:
YouTube - Ferrari F40 Prototype

Old 03-12-2009, 05:50 PM
Banned
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeetness!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Merchant / Group Buy Organizer ( non-certified )
Stunning, the F40 is my favorite super car and the brief history is very interesting.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I wasn't impressed with the F430, I hope they fixed some of the interior things that drove me nuts with it.

That being said, I grew to love the ability to kick the rear-end out in a corner by just flexing my toes.....

I hope everything good has been transfered over, and they fixed that damn funky seat's lumbar controls.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like member Wait4thefit has similar wheels.

Name:  DSC_0261-2.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  122.2 KB

Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by awptickes
I wasn't impressed with the F430, I hope they fixed some of the interior things that drove me nuts with it.

That being said, I grew to love the ability to kick the rear-end out in a corner by just flexing my toes.....

I hope everything good has been transfered over, and they fixed that damn funky seat's lumbar controls.

I am quite confused. Are you saying you own(ed) a Ferrari F430 and that you don't/didn't like it?

And what do you mean "everything good transferred over"?

Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned
wait an f430 owner is on FF.net wtf???

Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7

I am quite confused. Are you saying you own(ed) a Ferrari F430 and that you don't/didn't like it?

And what do you mean "everything good transferred over"?
No, I never owned one, but I made friends with an f430 owner, and had the opportunity to accumulate a significant amount of track-time in it, in exchange for letting him drive my "go-kart" Civic.

The shifting seemed too rough for my liking, even when I tried to 'soften' the shifts by reducing acceleration. The paddle-shifters were the absolute best I've ever used, much better than the Fit's. The throttle response was incredible, I'd give anything to have that kind of reaction-time on my Hondas.

I didn't like the steering when the rear-end was spinning, it felt like the front wheels had lost grip too, even through they hadn't. When into a full four-wheel-drift, the steering became hyper responsive. I didn't like the seat. It didn't have proper lumbar support, and the tilt "didn't feel right."

Then again, it's a dedicated racecar that happens to be street legal, and not a commuter car. It was extremely fun to drive on the track I drove it on, out on the road, all bets are off. It was hard to keep in check when on normal traffic roads. There was just too much power.

I wouldn't buy one, as there are suitable substitutes, but I guess that's just a matter of preference.

I don't mean to discourage you, but if you have the means test-drive it, and make your own assumptions.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 PM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
I guess my biggest question is, "What does any of this have to do with the 1987 F40 prototype vehicles?" Or did the discussion about a Ferrari built in 1987 simply open up an opportunity for you to drop the nugget that you spun around in an F430?

If we're dropping names of high end cars we've driven, I think the most baller-rific car I was able to rag around in was an '06 Bentley CGT. Around town and at the track. Oh, and it also had a GMG Racing Stage 1+ ECU/BOV upgrade kit that brought the stock twin-turbo W12 up to about 650hp/600trq, and that was before the nitrous. Imagine a handbuilt, near 3-ton, vault-like cacoon with an interior slathered in buttery soft dead cowhide and solid pieces of real laquered wood scattered about, and it hits warp 9 like RIGHT NOW, running deep low-down 11's on 22"s.

And also, what again were you talking about when you said "I hope everything good has been transfered(sic) over, and they fixed that damn funky seat's lumbar controls."? Transferred over to what, where?

And what would you suggest as a all-around better alternative to the F430?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Sid 6.7
I guess my biggest question is, "What does any of this have to do with the 1987 F40 prototype vehicles?" Or did the discussion about a Ferrari built in 1987 simply open up an opportunity for you to drop the nugget that you spun around in an F430?

No, I didn't mean it that way. Reading just owns me. I didn't see that these were old prototypes.

If we're dropping names of high end cars we've driven, I think the most baller-rific car I was able to rag around in was an '06 Bentley CGT. Around town and at the track. Oh, and it also had a GMG Racing Stage 1+ ECU/BOV upgrade kit that brought the stock twin-turbo W12 up to about 650hp/600trq, and that was before the nitrous. Imagine a handbuilt, near 3-ton, vault-like cacoon with an interior slathered in buttery soft dead cowhide and solid pieces of real laquered wood scattered about, and it hits warp 9 like RIGHT NOW, running deep low-down 11's on 22"s.

And also, what again were you talking about when you said "I hope everything good has been transfered(sic) over, and they fixed that damn funky seat's lumbar controls."? Transferred over to what, where?

And what would you suggest as a all-around better alternative to the F430?
I really don't like super-cars or even semi-super-cars. The only semi-super-car I really liked was the Audi TTS Quattro, but a ferrarri is in a totally different class. Bentleys are more of a "chauffeur" class car in my mind, not the "I have so much money I'm going to buy a car I can't drive on the street easily" kind of car.

Don't get me wrong, I just can't read. (I got distracted by all the pictures.) Just so we're on the same page, my dream car isn't anything exotic like a f430, just a Mugen Accord Wagon.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Why so serious?
5 Year Member
Oh, ok, now I get it. You didn't read the article, and somehow you looked at a bunch of huge hi-rez photos of a 22 yr old Ferrari F40, and somehow thought this was some brand spankin' new Ferrari model they were going to produce in the future.

I guess you're right, super-cars aren't your thing.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Banned
wow no offense but how did you think this was new model???