Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Facia panels

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by NvM
Hey vividjazz who did you use to import your double DIN panel and metal brackets. Cheers
I just asked my father-in-law to pick one up from the local Honda dealer in Bangkok.

Turns out the Genuine Honda facia is made in the Phillipines but costs more to buy in the Phillipines than in Thailand???

My deck before

And my deck after

Old 10-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by vividjazz
If your lucky the climate control air con might be offered in the US market.
VIVIDJAZZ: I got the double DIN panel already do you really need the metal brackets??? If you do what is the partnumber for this brackets?

Old 10-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by ^CarBoy^
VIVIDJAZZ: I got the double DIN panel already do you really need the metal brackets??? If you do what is the partnumber for this brackets?
The factory head unit is a single DIN with a custom facia. The factory brackets mount the unit in the center of the opening. You probably could reuse these brackets but you will be left with a half DIN gap both above and below the aftermarket head unit you install. If you don't want to use the other DIN space and can find 2 half DIN blank plates (if they exist) to cover the holes and those half DIN plates don't need to mount to any brackets to stay secure or if you don't mind big gaps in the middle of your dash.

Alternatively you could fabricate your own metal brackets or modify some out of another vehicle (get some out of say a Commodore from a wreckers) or mod some universal brackets from someone like Aerpro www.aerpro.com.au. Its not like they have to look pretty as noone is ever going to see them inside the dash. They just need to secure to the facia and hold the equipment in the right place.

I threw the 2 bags out that the double DIN brackets came in so don't have the 2 Honda part numbers for them but if you ask for them I'm sure any NON-Australian Honda dealer can work out the parts. They certainly can't be confused for anything else.

NOTE: No Honda Australia dealer will have the part or be able to get it as it isn't brought into Australia and isn't of any use without the double DIN facia which Honda Australia also don't bring in or want to know anything about. You can however buy the control stickers from an Australian Honda dealer for well over 100 times the price of the exact same genuine Honda stickers in Thailand (except no heater dial in the Thai models).

How did you end up buying the double DIN facia without the brackets?

Thai Honda dealers asked without prompting "Do you need the brackets with that? and Do you need the control stickers? Are you sure you don't want them as well?"

Old 10-29-2005, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

And my deck after
It think the picture shown above will likely be part of the facia design of the US-market Fit, since Honda knows there is a strong market for aftermarket car stereos in the USA. The double DIN mounting makes it possible to install high-end car stereos offered by Pioneer, Alpine, Blaupunkt, etc. that are mostly double-DIN sized; also, it makes it possible for Honda to offer as an aftermarket option a navigation system (since it will be high enough to mount the actual LCD navigation display so it meets the current NHTSA safety standard for such displays).

Old 10-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
It think the picture shown above will likely be part of the facia design of the US-market Fit, since Honda knows there is a strong market for aftermarket car stereos in the USA. The double DIN mounting makes it possible to install high-end car stereos offered by Pioneer, Alpine, Blaupunkt, etc. that are mostly double-DIN sized; also, it makes it possible for Honda to offer as an aftermarket option a navigation system (since it will be high enough to mount the actual LCD navigation display so it meets the current NHTSA safety standard for such displays).
I hope it is for you guys sake because the integrated unit just sucks and changing it is one of the worlds biggest pains. They do sell the Accord and the Mazdas in the states with integrated units and it seems to be a trend among manufacturers to tick off buyers who appreciate half decent sound.

The factory Jazz head unit does not play CDRs (officially) or MP3s has sooo little amp power (but matches the 4 surprisingly well sealed factory paper cup speakers in the doors well), display blanks out and controls lock up when too hot requiring the aircon to be run to bring it back to within operating temperature.

Old 10-29-2005, 04:19 AM
The factory head unit is a single DIN with a custom facia. The factory brackets mount the unit in the center of the opening. You probably could reuse these brackets but you will be left with a half DIN gap both above and below the aftermarket head unit you install. If you don't want to use the other DIN space and can find 2 half DIN blank plates (if they exist) to cover the holes and those half DIN plates don't need to mount to any brackets to stay secure or if you don't mind big gaps in the middle of your dash.

Alternatively you could fabricate your own metal brackets or modify some out of another vehicle (get some out of say a Commodore from a wreckers) or mod some universal brackets from someone like Aerpro www.aerpro.com.au. Its not like they have to look pretty as noone is ever going to see them inside the dash. They just need to secure to the facia and hold the equipment in the right place.

I threw the 2 bags out that the double DIN brackets came in so don't have the 2 Honda part numbers for them but if you ask for them I'm sure any NON-Australian Honda dealer can work out the parts. They certainly can't be confused for anything else.

NOTE: No Honda Australia dealer will have the part or be able to get it as it isn't brought into Australia and isn't of any use without the double DIN facia which Honda Australia also don't bring in or want to know anything about. You can however buy the control stickers from an Australian Honda dealer for well over 100 times the price of the exact same genuine Honda stickers in Thailand (except no heater dial in the Thai models).

How did you end up buying the double DIN facia without the brackets?

Thai Honda dealers asked without prompting "Do you need the brackets with that? and Do you need the control stickers? Are you sure you don't want them as well?"
I ordered mine from JDMYARD and we didn't realize that we needed that metal brackets. Anyways as you said we can probably fabricate one, I know a stereo installer that might be able to also make a cover for the openings on top and buttom of the double DIN cutout as you said if I use the existing brackets....

Another question. Do you have the detailed instructions on how to take off the front facia? I got the 2005 model Jazz.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:34 AM
I've posted them earlier in this thread but here are the diagrams again

Note you have to take the glove box apart and the dash under the glove box as well as the entire center area in order to disconnect the 3 vent controls. The Honda security screws require a dentists mirror and a long extension to which you attach the necessary security screwdriver bit.
(they only put security screws on so you rip the crap out of the dash and maximise damage to your car getting it apart if you don't remove them properly not to stop anyone silly enough / drunk / high on drugs who actually would steal the factory head unit.)

You'll have to rewire the harness for the aftermarket head unit and also ether resolder the antenna to a standard connector or order an adapter from the US. They have used an exceedingly obscure connector just when you thought they couldn't possibly be complete bastards they never fail to disappoint.

I doubt the unit cost to Honda of this abomination of a mainland Chinese head unit would exceed a single digit in US dollars.

Last edited by vividjazz; 10-29-2005 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:07 AM
5 Year Member
Lightbulb

I hope it is for you guys sake because the integrated unit just sucks and changing it is one of the worlds biggest pains. They do sell the Accord and the Mazdas in the states with integrated units and it seems to be a trend among manufacturers to tick off buyers who appreciate half decent sound.
Actually, the factory-installed car stereos on the US-market Accord and Civic are fairly decent, mostly because in the USA market Honda has to compete against the third-party aftermarket units.

I can see the US-market car offer three level of car stereos:

1. Basic unit (single-DIN sized) with unit on top and a storage space on bottom.

2. Advanced unit (double-DIN sized) with better-quality tuner, MP3/WMA playback ability, and possible 3-5 disc changer.

3. Navigation/stereo unit (double-DIN sized) that is very close to the functionality of that navigation unit on the 2006 Civics in terms of button placement and screen size. Press one button and the screen pops up out of the way to reveal a disc changer to insert navigation DVD/audio CD's.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi all,

I have a copy of the installation instructions in English as a pdf file (11MB), if anyone is interested. I ordered the replacement panel from Honda UK for £55 and am getting a local installer to fit a new head unit etc.

Simon

Old 01-29-2006, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
schgreen, really?

Did you contact them directly (through phone and not a dealer) ? Also, can you tell me when you get your part, is it the same colour as the one that Vividjazz has installed on his in the previous pictures?

Also can you give me the part number when you get it, cos I'm interested in it also .

Can you send the instructions to kentris [at] gmail (dot) com

Old 01-30-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi,
Apologies for being a bit unclear in my first post. I ordered the part through my local Honda dealer in the UK. The part number is 08B00SAA510A, for models with manual aircon. There is another panel for models with auto aircon.The one I received is dark grey, similar to the pictures posted by VividJazz ie much darker than the current fascia. As you will see from the manual, there seem to be two colour options, described as Mono Gray Metallic and Dark Titan Metallic. I have no idea which one I have. I will e-mail you the pdf file,
Cheers, Simon

Old 01-30-2006, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for that schgreen

Btw vivid, do you know what colour your fascia panel is? Cos I have the same stock headunit you do and it's the same colour.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:08 PM
hi schgreen! if you don't mind, can u also please email me the instructions pdf file? jonski01@yahoo.com

thanks!

Old 02-04-2006, 06:37 AM
Hi,

This is my installation in progress.It took the installer 2 hours to change out the fascia. Slight hitch encountered when I found that I had the wrong wiring harness adapter. I've got to wait another week while my installer orders the correct one. The colour difference between the new fascia and the rest of the dash doesn't bother me at all, and I'm happy enough with the solution used by the installer to fit the head unit mount within the double DIN panel - he used a metal plate cut to fit. The other change from the original fascia is the light grey colour of the aircon control knob stickers,

Simon

Old 02-04-2006, 09:09 AM
Jonski,

I tried a few times to e-mail the pdf, but it bounced. I've put it up on the web at the following site: http://uk.geocities.com/schgreen@bti...t.com/jazz.pdf,

Simon

Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
ahh lookin' good there schgreen.

Hmm, think I'll order mine in a few weeks when mum goes to Hong Kong and she can give me her credit card, muahaha.

Just gotta make sure they order me the light-grey one.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:37 AM
Are you saying the parts shown here can allow me to change the cd player in my 2002 Fit?

Old 02-05-2006, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by koyotegambit
Are you saying the parts shown here can allow me to change the cd player in my 2002 Fit?
yes indeedy.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Schgreen, I'm in Jamaica so I dont really know how to get the parts shipped here, I probably will have to go to Miami to shop around, however the geocities link with the pdf instructions are down, is there anywhere else I can get it.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:39 PM
here is a pic of the us radio/bezel. It seems we may have to order the same kit from flip land. or i may just pick up the parts when i go there in july w/ my wife
and family.....

Quick Reply: Facia panels