Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

what is wrong with this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Yep, like afreespirit and Texas Coyota mentioned, it is slow for me, especially since dial up is our only choice for internet connection. When I find a forum for a subject I am interested in, speed does matter for me. But, I like it here as the information is very helpful. When I click on the fit freak forum, I get up and do something for about 7 minutes. I did just so and got some vacuuming done. I usually disable third-part cookies and plug ins to help with speed, and at this forum I often find myself disabling images.

I also emailed the webmaster to remove my double post, but so far it is still there. It would have been nice for me to be able to delete it soon after I noticed I had double posted, but that option wasn't available.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Safina
Yep, like afreespirit and Texas Coyota mentioned, it is slow for me, especially since dial up is our only choice for internet connection. When I find a forum for a subject I am interested in, speed does matter for me. But, I like it here as the information is very helpful. When I click on the fit freak forum, I get up and do something for about 7 minutes. I did just so and got some vacuuming done. I usually disable third-part cookies and plug ins to help with speed, and at this forum I often find myself disabling images.

I also emailed the webmaster to remove my double post, but so far it is still there. It would have been nice for me to be able to delete it soon after I noticed I had double posted, but that option wasn't available.
*how ironic that I get lagged as I'm trying to reply to this thread*

But you should have an edit button. Part of the function of edit, is the delete post... once you click on edit.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:19 PM
I never knew about the delete post option.

Safina I couldn't imagine running a dial-up connection now days. Lived with one for years... there's no DSL option available to you? I get mine through Verizon, a decent connection that suites my needs.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
No worries here either as far as speed goes. There are so many variables that affect speed at the final I/O, which our desktops and/or laptops are. Type of carrier service one has and one's computer setup (hardware and software) are just the most noticeable ones where we, the user, can have some impact over. Other than that, the rest are all happening in the background where the average surfer has nothing to do with.

Much like a "public" road, anything goes. Only place where things are usually really "fast" are in workplaces where they have their own "controlled infrastructure" and limited access, much like roads on private property.

Last edited by Subie; 01-23-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
I've been on this forum regularly for the last 4 years. I've noticed the speed and load problem lately. This is not imagined and it has nothing to do with my equipment... I check speeds regularly each day with numerous sites. They are all lightning fast. This site used to be fast... sometimes still is... but many times just a slow drag.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi Goobers,
I would have thought so, too, as I did try that. When I hover my mouse over the Edit button, it shows "edit/delete messege" but after clicking "edit" it does not have a button to delete post. Clicking on "edit" again only brings to "advanced" and still no "disable" button. After reading the FAQ's for this forum, this can but turned on or off by the administrator, and maybe since I am new it is turned off until I make so many posts. Just a guess. Usually there is a time limit to delete a post and this too is controlled by the administrator.

Hi Krimson Cardnal,
Yes, hard to believe that there are folks with dial up. I live in central Arkansas and there are many folks here that still rely on it. Our land line service is bad enough ever since AT&T took it over. There is Hughes Net satelitte service but it is costly per month and the start up equipment is expensive. Since my husband gets laid off from engineering type jobs quite a bit, we tend to be on the frugal side. We also had dish network for a year and dropped it after discovering we only watched a couple of channels. Now we us Netflix, getting discs in the mail and get to watch what we want. The hilly regions here are slow to put up cell towers to reach those in between the low spots, but I 'm sure sooner or later wireless will be available here. I hear West Viriginia is even worse off than here as they have many hollows and that would be quite a job to put up towars on every top. I guess that's the price one pays for living 12 miles from town. But I don't mind as I'm used to it.
Regards, Safina

P.S. Just in my post to correct a spelling and lo and behold, there is the Delete button! I didn't see it in my other post soon after I posted it and edited it. My fault. I guess the time limiit is super short.

Last edited by Safina; 01-23-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Among many others

Server service websites use, server architecture/infrastructure, time of day, volume of transaction packets, embedded ads, switching points, routers, bus bandwidth, etc. all affect website behavior and how we see it. If everything remained constant, the variable would be traffic volume. Just some tidbits of cyberspace...

Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM
I sympathize with you dependance on ATT. I used them as an ISP for a while and just couldn't deal with it anymore. Keep an eye on DSL service in your area. I was in a similar situation and it eventually came through.

I've been able to avoid cable/sat TV hook-ups. Briefly had cable years ago and when they told me there was a charge to drop HBO I asked if there was a charge to drop the whole service - they said no and that was that.

I do get a local broadcast free air signal, however. Even got a converter box after they went to digital broadcast. Works perfect for me. I just bought a Roku and now have streaming access through the DSL. It's all you need.

I can't hang my big old Samsung analog flat screen on the wall, but I really never had the inclination to do that anyway. It's a great TV, eventually it'll become an LCD, but it ain't broke yet.

Oh yea, welcome to the freakworld and I'll be sure to type slow so you can keep up_

Old 01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I do get a local broadcast free air signal, however. Even got a converter box after they went to digital broadcast. Works perfect for me. I just bought a Roku and now have streaming access through the DSL. It's all you need.

I can't hang my big old Samsung analog flat screen on the wall, but I really never had the inclination to do that anyway. It's a great TV, eventually it'll become an LCD, but it ain't broke yet.

Oh yea, welcome to the freakworld and I'll be sure to type slow so you can keep up_
We too have a digital converter box and get ABC and PBS, and mostly watch PBS as we're big fans of Mystery! and some of the documentaries like American Experience.
Ha, and we still have a CRT Sanyo 19" TV, but it works in our smallish living room and hooking it up to the old stereo speakers really gives an enjoyable viewing experience.

When it breaks and we replace it with a flat screen, we will make sure not to hang it over the fireplace as I sometimes see in shows like, "This Old House". That can't be a good place for a TV and I think too high up unless one stands to watch it.
Thanks Krimson_Cardnal for the welcome and telecommunication tips.
Regards, Safina

Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 PM
I concur on the load speed issue. I have the issue on my mac at home which has one of the fastest wi fi signals available for residential use. It happens on my iphone using the mobile app on 3G or wifi and it happens at work on my PC...

I dont seem to have these problems with any of the other sites that i frequent.

still love the site though, don't get me wrong :-)

Old 01-28-2012, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Something else that happens occasionally is when I go to write a post, the smiley icons are missing! There is no way to add them even though it says "smileys turned off" and I had made no changes. Then after awhile they mysteriously reappear.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
Smile anyway, it's good for your facial muscles!
Yeah, stuff happens.