Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

In-Message Attachments

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:09 PM
In-Message Attachments

Why can't I post attachments or images in a message?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
[IMG ] the link there no spaces on anything not even the img thingys [/IMG ]

Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Thumbs down

Nope. An IMG link to Flickr resulted in a tiny question mark logo, no posted image.

The FAQ needs to be updated, BTW, because it suggests users can post in message attachments through the forum, which they cannot.

I need you to put this to me like I'm a three year old, since apparently I'm not allowed to upload directly from my hard drive to the forum. What site do I need to use in order to post an image which is already uploaded on this site? I really don't want to post a link to another thread to show an example of what I am trying to present in a new thread, because nobody will click on it, and I won't get an answer to my questions.

Originally Posted by Posting Rules
You may not post attachments
This is what is posted at the bottom of the page when I post. Is that due to some sort of registration level which I am unaware of? Or is this the norm? If so, the FAQ needs to be updated, because as it is, it is false advertising.

Last edited by Praxis; 02-01-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
You're probably using the wrong style link.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Flickr works just fine for me:

Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Well, this is the URL I used in an IMG link and it didn't work. Perhaps the profile on Flickr needs to be public?
Headlight Surround II | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM
Now when I use the exact same URL with an IMG bbcode:

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member

Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Then help me out here. Why is it when I use the link I get a question mark post? Furthermore, why does this site not allow attachments? I presume because of space concerns, which is a legit reason, but they should not advertise the ability to post or upload images in message if a user cannot do that. If we need a third party site, they should say that in the FAQ. And yet there isn't one mention of using a third party site.

Anyways, putting the FAQ thing aside, I really just want a way to upload pictures to my posts, and I can't do that through Flickr for some reason.

Last edited by Praxis; 02-01-2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
I don't use the links. I just go to the size of the picture I want, right click and choose copy image url or w/e it offers you along those lines. I then click the image button above the reply box, paste the url in and BOOM.

Give that a shot once.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Unhappy Confused

I'm seriously confused. You say you don't use links, and then you say you copy and paste a URL. So which is it? If the were a button or option to push to upload an image, I would click it in an instant. But there is no such option, and the posting rules for me say exactly as follows:

Originally Posted by Posting Rules
You may not post attachments
I am using an iPad 2. Maybe that has something to do with it. But I'm totally confounded on why I can't load from my hard drive, why I can't post from a Flickr account, and why FitFreak.net doesn't allow me to post attachments.

I apologize if I'm getting a little heated here, but it is frustrating to be promised something which isn't delivered, or to see other users enjoy privileges you can't without any discernible explanation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How did you post an image?

Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 AM
Question

So here is my whole process. I click "Post Reply", enter the Reply to Thread page, post [ IMG ] {url enclosed} [ / IMG ] (all minus the spaces and the {} brackets as is standard html/bbcode) with the url for the Flickr image upload and then click "Submit Reply". The result is as follows:

Here is what happens on another non-iPad computer when I reply while clicking the now-apparent "Insert Image" icon with appropriate url enclosed:

Old 02-01-2013, 12:43 AM
FAQ Needs a Rewrite

On the FAQ directions under "Attachments and Images", it states as follows:

Originally Posted by FAQ: Attachments and Images
On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'.
But there is no button labelled "Manage Attachments". I checked two separate computer formats to verify this. Then it goes on to tell me:

You can upload an attachment from your computer
Maybe somebody can, but I sure can't, on either of my computers. I'm a bit surprised this hasn't come up as an issue with any other user, since it isn't as though I am using a super ancient platform with an iPad 2.

This merits some sort of explanation, and if it doesn't, everyone who uses FitFreak should know the FAQ is inaccurate and unhelpful.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Praxis
I'm seriously confused. You say you don't use links, and then you say you copy and paste a URL. So which is it? If the were a button or option to push to upload an image, I would click it in an instant. But there is no such option, and the posting rules for me say exactly as follows:

I am using an iPad 2. Maybe that has something to do with it. But I'm totally confounded on why I can't load from my hard drive, why I can't post from a Flickr account, and why FitFreak.net doesn't allow me to post attachments.

I apologize if I'm getting a little heated here, but it is frustrating to be promised something which isn't delivered, or to see other users enjoy privileges you can't without any discernible explanation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How did you post an image?
I don't click any buttons on Flickr to get the links.

I did this:

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Again, explain this to me like I am a foreign language speaking three year old who is blind and has no experience of human communication, because I don't understand, perhaps because I am retarded. This is what your URL looks like:

Originally Posted by mike410b
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5097/5454338759_43a035c857_b.jpg
And this is what mine looks like minus the photostream nonsense but using the button Share>"Grab the Link" along with the URL for my post:

Originally Posted by Praxis
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92850410@N08/8434809688/
They look totally different. Mine doesn't even end in .jpg. Please help! What am I doing wrong?!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Hang on a second because I didn't see your detailed instructions before I posted. Please wait while I try them out!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
You're sharing a link to the page the picture is on, you're linking to a page similar to this:

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...pscd6c4703.png

That's why I just right clicked the photo and stole the url that way.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 AM

Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Boom bizzle.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:03 AM
Lightbulb

Well, sort of. It only replies with the copy of your image, not the image I actually hit up for copy on my Flickr page. Let me go through some trial and error here for a second...

Quick Reply: In-Message Attachments