General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Is Honda manufacturing manual transmission Fits?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Is Honda manufacturing manual transmission Fits?

Each time I speak to the salesman through whom we placed our order for a Fit Sport manual transmission, the vaguely estimated delivery date slips by a few weeks. Two dealers have told me Honda does not allow them to order manual transmission Fits. My question: Has Honda decided covertly not to ship manual transmission Fits to the US? It could make business sense: If Honda can sell all the Fits it can make by equipping them with automatic transmissions, thereby both simplifying the build process and making higher profits, why would Honda manufacture any manual transmission Fits for the US? I heard two months ago that Honda was allocating only 15% of the Fit build to manual transmissions, but I'm starting to wonder whether the percentage is now zero.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
My dealer has sold one base manual, one base automatic, and two sport automatics (one of them is mine).

Old 06-26-2006, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
I doubt that, i just believe that the US mainly drive A/T and the demand is greater for the A/T so they might be full steam ahead on manufacturing A/T's for the masses, and like you said, maybe they are going to pick a week to add M/T's to assebly line?

(This is all my personal speculation! None of which is researched in any way!)

**** JUST MY OPINION*****

Old 06-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
wasn't there a post somewhere here where someone said there was a 1.5:10 ratio on the manuals to automatics here in the states? I'm just happy I got my manual

Old 06-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by gimme
wasn't there a post somewhere here where someone said there was a 1.5:10 ratio on the manuals to automatics here in the states? I'm just happy I got my manual
That is correct. Honda allocates 15% of your Fit allocation to be manual transmissions, the problem is we only get 2 Fits allocated per month. We need 10 just to get 1 manual trani. the only reason I can think of (this is my opinion only) is that the Civics and Fits use the same manual transmission and the Civics are an established vehicle in the states and North American car of the year. They are also underproduced and selling before they are off of the truck. So maybe Honda is fufilling the demand for the Civic manual trans at the detriment of the Fit with the manual trans. since the Fit is new.
Just my $.02?

Old 06-27-2006, 06:15 PM
5 Year Member
Question

Is it possible that some of us who have already ordered and placed down payments on a manual transmission Fit may not EVER get one? Everything I'm reading here paints a very gloomy picture for the foreseeable picture. I can "hang in there" if I know that I will eventually have my manual Orange Fit (even in a few months), but...never??? Or is that catastrophic thinking on my part?

Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fit2bowner
Is it possible that some of us who have already ordered and placed down payments on a manual transmission Fit may not EVER get one? Everything I'm reading here paints a very gloomy picture for the foreseeable picture. I can "hang in there" if I know that I will eventually have my manual Orange Fit (even in a few months), but...never??? Or is that catastrophic thinking on my part?
Sorry...that second "picture" (second sentence) should have read "future." Oops.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm in the same boat. The dealership has orders in, and they get 3-4/month, but they don't know what they'll get when. The good news is that when they get one in, they call people on their list first by trim level, then transmission choice, and I'm the first sport manual on their list - they're guesstimating another 2 months, but they don't seem to have any clearer picture than I do......

Old 06-29-2006, 03:54 PM
I wonder how much I could get on Ebay for my black Fit Sport MT????

Old 06-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by hiroko12
I wonder how much I could get on Ebay for my black Fit Sport MT????
I was wondering the same thing

Old 07-03-2006, 03:27 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
I'm lucky I ordered mine when I did. Some of you need to look in bigger markets with higher volume dealers.

Old 07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
FWIW, I've seen a pretty even split in Fits as far as MT vs AT goes. But I'm talking seeing 2-3 Fits in a dealer tops.

I got a MT Sport. There was another Fit there at the time, it was a Base AT.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Where I work we have lots of autos but very few manuals, and they are usually sold before we even get them(the manuals). And the Sports don't stick around long. The LX auto models seem to linger longer haha

Old 07-04-2006, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
I'm glad I got my manual transmission but i have heard that Honda is not going to produce as many manuals as they are autos...so your time may be running out if you want one! (but i'm sure there is a dealer somewhere who will find you one if that is what you really want, u just have to be firm with them!)

Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 AM
We came SO close to getting a Milano Red Fit Sport MT last Saturday. My brother-in-law went to a Honda dealer in Virginia, and there it was, just off the truck. But a customer had made a deposit on an order of a blue one. The dealer called her, and she came in and bought the red one. The dealer claims to have a blue Fit Sport MT coming in about three weeks, so I guess Honda is still shipping MT models.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:42 AM
I should have mentioned that only 15% of the Fits will be manuals.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Hey RedAndy, the dealers DO know what they are getting in! I work at one! I've been riding their butts about getting me my Fit!!!!!!! They are ordering it this week!!!!!!!! They also told me I'm looking at about 8 more weeks until delivery!!!!!

Last edited by SlowHatchGrL; 07-04-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by SlowHatchGrL
Hey RedAndy, the dealers DO know what they are getting in! I work at one! I've been riding their butts about getting me my Fit!!!!!!! They are ordering it this week!!!!!!!! They also told me I'm looking at about 8 more weeks until delivery!!!!!
Hey hatchgrl, what day did you order yours?? I placed my order July 7.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:50 PM
I was at a dealership on Saturday to test drive an Auto Fit Sport and we loved it but my fiance and I decided we wanted a manual. They told us that they get 4/5 a month and 4 out of 5 are Sports, and 4 out of 5 are Auto. They said the soonest they could even possibly get one in would be October but they wouldnt know for another month. They also told us if the more options we added on the harder the sales manager would work to find us our Manual Fit. Also we were told that they cant specifically pick what they get so we couldnt order exactly what we wanted but they could try to get the color and transmission we wanted. I really want a manual Fit but I dont like the idea of not knowing anything about when it would get here, I guess this is pretty normal then?

Oh yeah they also said that they are only making 50k of them for 07, but 200k in 08 so maybe they will make more manuals then?

Last edited by MSPRO; 07-11-2006 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:08 PM
So out of the 50K only 15% are Sport MT??? If this is true only around 7,500 Sport MT's. That will make those cars pretty rare for a Honda.

Quick Reply: Is Honda manufacturing manual transmission Fits?