1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Roof Storage / Coffin Recommendations

Old 02-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Roof Storage / Coffin Recommendations

Hi all!

OK, so I've entered freak out mode recently. I live in Virginia and am moving to Los Angeles at the end of the month / beginning of next month.

I don't own much (no furniture or appliances), but I own some large things that I care about enough to bring with me in the Fit (Sansui stereo setup, photo equipment, computers, etc...). Now, the Fit is fantastic at holding things, but I'm wondering about getting a bit more space up top.

Anyone have any recommendations or reviews on what to go toward / watch out for? Brand reco's?

I'm searching myself too, but have found little, valuable info.

All the thanks.

-K

PS - for those wanting to give insight into moving in general, I appreciate it, but I'm good. Books are going via Media Mail ($0.59/lb), art is going via FedEx, and everything else is going via Amtrak (yup, they ship shit. And it's great).

Old 02-15-2019, 05:07 PM
Hey K,

I kinda did the same thing from Long Beach, CA to Sacramento. My heaviest stuff, over 2000 LP records was carried by my father, when he visited me. I managed to carry quite a bit and was really impressed with the volume offered. The biggest thing carried was a futon frame (no mattress). I carried way over the limit, just didn't drive crazy. The Fit managed just fine, even the climbing.

I'm assuming you already have your roof rack? If you do, I would check when REI has their Garage Sale. You might be able to find something fairly cheap. When you get to LA, you could sell it. Sorry I don't have more to offer.