1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Possible transmission issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Possible transmission issue?

Okay, first off:
2008 Honda Fit (G1 standard/non-Sport) at ~128,000 miles, regularly taken in for maintenance and other oddball issues*

Yesterday morning, my check engine light came on. Okay, I'll take it to the shop. But then the "D" on the gear indicator started blinking at the same time, which I don't think I've gotten before. Skimming some Google and FitFreaks results suggest there's something up with the transmission. On the drive home, it also wouldn't shift up at speeds around 55mph, and just this morning it shuddered a bit on shifts getting up to speed from a stop.

So okay, it sure seems like a transmission issue. So I took it somewhere near work, and I think they said it was a sensor issue that'll require a rebuild to the tune of ~$2,700(!!!). As my wife points out, my car isn't even worth that much anymore.

Looking for a second opinion at this point before I do anything crazy and/or dumb. Also looking to just talk about it with someone receptive so I don't get goddamned heart palpitations.

*"No, I'm saying the seat latch isn't working. You know that little handle that unlocks the back seat so it can fold down? Yeah, that thing."

Old 05-02-2019, 05:20 PM
Do you have an OBD2 scanner to read your car's codes?

Old 05-02-2019, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
^^ This... or go to a parts house such as Autozone or O'reilys and have them pull the code first before doing anything else. Then report back once done.

Based upon behavior and description, I wouldn't be surprised if the code is for a transmission pressure switch. They're usually located outside of the transmission case and somewhat easy to access.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
First - take some deep breaths
Second - relax in the knowledge that the Fit transmissions are pretty solid compared to most transaxles
Third - get the car to a reputable shop or start working on a diagnosis yourself. It probably needs something simple as mentioned above.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member

IMPORTANT: what are the engine RPMS at 40mph?
PM sent!

Last edited by doctor J; 05-03-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Got my car back today*, and it looks like they did get an error code: p0847, trans fluid pressure sensor/switch low. Sensor problem just like I thought, and a quick googling of the code does not list "rebuild ur transmission" in possible fixes.

I don't know much about the Fit's transmission (I know transmissions are, generally speaking, complicated as hell), but if replacing a fluid pressure sensor requires a rebuild, then... well, maybe my wife is right and I should get a new car. Like one that doesn't require a multi-thousand dollar teardown of an otherwise fine transmission just to fix some electronics.

If I'm reading this right... I hate to assume the worst in people, but it sure feels like I'm either underestimating the problem or someone's trying to pull a fast one on me. Either way, I guess I'm trying my luck with another shop.

*I should have gotten it back yesterday, but HAHA WE CLOSED A HALF HOUR BEFORE YOU LEFT WORK.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
It's 20 minute job. How much is the sensor/ labor? And what shop wanted to sell you a rebuilt transmission?? My friends will shut them up for good!
I've posted a thread of DIY of 3rd gear switch change not so long ago https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-switches.html However because many forum users don't bother to use search function and are not mechanically inclined anyways, they will be paying $$$ for basic repairs!

Last edited by doctor J; 05-03-2019 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
It's 20 minute job. How much is the sensor/ labor? And what shop wanted to sell you a rebuilt transmission?? My friends will shut them up for good!
I've posted a thread of DIY of 3rd gear switch change not so long ago https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...-switches.html However because many forum users don't bother to use search function and are not mechanically inclined anyways, they will be paying $$$ for basic repairs!
I have a sad feeling that he had ignored all of our advice and had a perfectly good transmission rebuilt.

As I said, these auto's usually just need a cheap sensor to repair. They are much better than the average transaxle. Well, that or it's the 90hp that just doesn't put much stress on them.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
When I was 22 years old working in the repair shop I've viewed things differently than now. At present time I do a lot of homework before working on unfamiliar stuff (Internet search and hands-on practice on wrecking yard are helping a lot!)

Old 05-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I have a sad feeling that he had ignored all of our advice and had a perfectly good transmission rebuilt.
What? No, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid here. I'm going to try and find a different place to look at it, which is going to be tricky with all the other stuff I need to juggle today.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
This should be no more than 1 hour for labor (with removal of the splash shield, that is not really necessary)
Make sure that new sealing washer (10 mm ID) is used for installation. there will be a loss of very small amount of ATF (not necessary to add), but keep the rag under. The hardest part is to unlock electrical connector plug if the tab is facing transmission housing. (Was in my case!)

Old 05-07-2019, 11:14 PM
Talked with a shop that my father-in-law relies on, and they said the same thing: needs a rebuild to the tune of $2,400. I looked up my kind of car on Kelly Blue Book, and it says.. well, "fair" condition goes for ~$800-1600, and "good" ~$1,200-2,100.

I guess I can look for a third opinion, but I'm getting the sinking feeling it might be the end for my little red wagon.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:50 AM
5 Year Member
Wish I could test drive it! How did they found it needs rebuild?? Sounds like a red herring!

Old 05-08-2019, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe buy the pressure sensor and pay to have it installed and see what happens? Seems worth a try at this point.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting enough with bad sensor (when it has 3 gears and no TC lockup the car shifts very smooth ) The recommendation for overhaul comes if: brass and non metallic shavings are found on the drain pan, transmission makes a noise; erratic shifting combined with any of the previously listed symptoms.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Need help.

Hello this is my first post and I needed a bit of help, I have a 2008 MT 5speed fit at 157255 miles, just recently I’ve been having a loss of power from 2-5 gear, first is good at take off but when I get in to 2nd it stays at 40mph and my rpms nearly red line and that goes for 3-5 too, Also no engine light on, Ive scanned it and no code, I’ve been troubleshooting and found one misfire (fixed) and also adjusted the valves, I’m looking for any advise please and thank you.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chapa
Hello this is my first post and I needed a bit of help, I have a 2008 MT 5speed fit at 157255 miles, just recently I’ve been having a loss of power from 2-5 gear, first is good at take off but when I get in to 2nd it stays at 40mph and my rpms nearly red line and that goes for 3-5 too, Also no engine light on, Ive scanned it and no code, I’ve been troubleshooting and found one misfire (fixed) and also adjusted the valves, I’m looking for any advise please and thank you.
Sounds like a slipping clutch. Try putting it in 5th gear at around 45 and floor the throttle. See if you accelerate or if the rpm's just go up instead. If it doesn't accelerate, but the rpm's climb, you need a new clutch.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Sounds like a slipping clutch. Try putting it in 5th gear at around 45 and floor the throttle. See if you accelerate or if the rpm's just go up instead. If it doesn't accelerate, but the rpm's climb, you need a new clutch.
Just got it back this morning, and you called it right; the guy in charge of the shop said part of the clutch had worn out, which would indeed merit taking the transmission apart and putting it back together.

Still not happy to have had to pay so much, but I'm not ready to buy a new car and I'm attached to it. Hopefully this will last me a long time.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hardly_Ideal
Just got it back this morning, and you called it right; the guy in charge of the shop said part of the clutch had worn out, which would indeed merit taking the transmission apart and putting it back together.

Still not happy to have had to pay so much, but I'm not ready to buy a new car and I'm attached to it. Hopefully this will last me a long time.
But you have an automatic. The post you quoted was in response to a guy with a 5-speed manual.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
The mechanics are happy to use customer's ignorance to their advantage!