1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Performance Filters.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Performance Filters.

I currently have a homemade short intake with the parts from Autozone and such. And well.. I hate it. And I don't want to drop cash on a intake and go through the whole smog shit again like I did with my previous car. So I wanted to know more about the high performance filters from Spoon and Mugen to put my stock box on.. I hope some of you guys can help answer them for me cuz i'm really interested in them.

Basically.. do they make a difference? Like sound or even noticeable throttle difference.

Will they pass smog?

Which is better Spoon or Mugen's? Or any other companies?

And lastly where are some good places to get them at good prices?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I would just go with k&n drop in. Numerous people have used the Spoon and Mugen ones and say it is not worth the 100+ dollars. But yes they will pass smog and they are not any noisier than stock, they just flow better. You should see a slight increase in throttle response but thats about it.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
I guess, I definitely understand that, but I kind of want to keep to the JDM and spoon or mugen theme you know? But I'm just considering all my possibilities first in terms of filters.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 PM
I saw somewhere before that the spoon actually dropped 1 HP on the dyno...Might wanna look into that more though.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
well.

i have the fujita CAI. but during the winters i run the k&n filter with stock air box.

i did feel a difference, it wasnt so sluggish.

i like it, and you will pass smog of course.

but...you wont have to go smog your car for i think 5 years?

thats a long time heh...

Old 12-07-2008, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
yeah spoon or mugen is cool i suppose. but really its a filter thats hidden behind a box. its really not worth spending.

i guess for bragging rights for a FIlter?

i would just stick with a fujita filter with your custom short ram and call it a day.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
I actually have a AEM DryFlo on as a filter right now and its real great. But my point is that I just want a stock box to pass smog and also not feel sluggish. And I really just wanted to see what's up with all the different filter choices.

Honestly when smog does come up and stuff I really don't wanna go through the hassle of paying to pass or changing everything back up. But I also don't want a sluggish feeling airbox either.

And I might not go with Spoon/Mugen just cause of the steep price but just wanted to see if you guys have anything worth noting.

Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SD_MR_FIT
well.

i have the fujita CAI. but during the winters i run the k&n filter with stock air box.

why do you swap back to the stock air box in the winter?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
CAI intakes can hydrolock in water depending on where you live. I'm guessing where he lives it can flood or rain heavy enough to cause problems. also if you live in a snowy area, snow tends to stick onto CAI filters and sometimes clog em..

Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YA2_user_GD3
CAI intakes can hydrolock in water depending on where you live. I'm guessing where he lives it can flood or rain heavy enough to cause problems. also if you live in a snowy area, snow tends to stick onto CAI filters and sometimes clog em..
well, I have very cheap sri from advance auto and was just wondering if I should put my stock box back on. I have no worries about hydrolock tho. sorry about the thread jack...

Old 12-07-2008, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
yes i live in construction zone. were it is very un-even so there are deep puddles. i usually hydro plane all over the freeways aswell as other cars because there are so many puddles.

OP...my friend has the mugen filter and i notice no difference between his car and my car. the only difference is that the k&n is easier to clean and needs to be oiled.

im thinking about just cutting the bottom of my box off retaining the clips and just using that as my custom short ram. it will pass smog because it is still using the oem airbox.

ive done it with several cars and they have passed smog.

i

Old 12-07-2008, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
That sounds good actually, taking off the bottom half..

i really hate oiling the filters. if thats the case with K&N, I'll pass. I figured since the Spoon/Mugen are hi-flo that it would either be deeper toned or slightly louder. but it seems like its not.

does anyone kno any sites that sell the filters from spoon/mugen?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 AM
AFE and blitz make dry reusable filters.. i think my gfs buying me an AFE for xmas cuz i was dropping hints

Old 12-08-2008, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
the fit's L15a engine doesnt react for SHIT to boltons, so it doesnt matter what filter/intake you get. the gains will be so minimal.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
That is veeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrry true. I noticed my intake made absolutely no difference lol. but i still wanted to try at least. nothing wrong with effort right? haha

Old 12-08-2008, 03:47 AM
5 Year Member
Get a fujita CAI they're good for the money. I love mine. Although I didnt notice a difference in performance it definately give the car more of a "tuned" sound.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Fujita definitely.
I have had my SRI installed for a year now, and it DOES give the Fit a little more umph, and better MPG.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
I just ordered the HKS one last week.im not expecting anything other than hopefully a little better throttle response.i removed the baffles from the stock box as well.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
I am using the HKS super hybrid. It is a drop in filter for the stock air box.
It helps a little bit and gives you what you would expect from an upgraded air filter and nothing more. Personally I can't justify spending over $50 for an intake, it just isn't worth the money.

If you really want to notice a little bit try cutting the bottom of your air box but don't expect much.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
As someone else stated, you don't need to smog a new car for about 5 years...you could stick with what you had, just dont get rolled and hood popped.

the stock airbox was engineered and designed for this motor...it'll actually work best. With an SRI or CAI, you might loose power/torque either at the earlier or later part of the power band; provided every thing else engine, exhaust etc. remains stock. But if you like the sound, all you need is to find a C.A.R.B. Legal intake, and you'll have no issues passing smog.

I just use a K&N drop in and that has made the car louder, but didn't have a noticible effect on mpg or fuel compared to OE, but I like how i can clean it whenever i want/need to (came with the re-oil kit free). I've also used em in the past and have had no issues.

Hope you find something you like without dumping too much money into it, but at the same time, not damage your engine with dirty air.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance Filters.