1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

*sigh - never thought this would happen

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
*sigh - never thought this would happen

The wiper fluid nozzle on the back BROKE off. I now have a hole that spurts out fluid like an open artery. I'm not 100% sure what exactly transpired but I think some washer fluid froze inside the nozzle (yeah I live in a cold climate) and when I had tried to spray the pressure may have just popped it off. In my defense, it worked last winter without a hitch under similar temperatures and my front nozzles work normally. So... what options do you think I have other then having the dealership replace the whole back window assembly? Judging by the way it's affixed I think they *could* actually just replace the nozzle itself but they'll most likely pull a dick move and say the whole thing has to be replaced. Has this happened to any of you guys before?

Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
hmm, try following the instruction in the first post of this thread https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...bulletins.html

if i remember correctly, there's PDF instructions for replacing the rear nozzle. it looks like they can just replace the rear nozzle, and that you're not alone when it comes to owners having had this problem. hope this helps.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:53 AM
5 Year Member
Good call, yes there is a TSB on this specific topic. Just follow the directions in the linked thread and download the TSB. RG

Old 12-10-2008, 07:45 AM
5 Year Member
Ooh thanks, didn't catch that. I'm gonna get it fixed before that flat spot where the nozzle was drives me nuts -_-''

Old 12-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting this up on the forum - I live in a cold region too and never thought that it would break that part. Will remember to not spray if it is really cold. Hope you get it fixed and back to normal soon. I can't stand to have stuff on my car not working or broken.

Cat :x

Old 12-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Banned
Suggestion for people in cold climates:

To keep what happened to the OP from happening to you, and to make your washer fluid extra effective in washing away road film from oil, DO THIS---------

Add 1 cup (8 ounces) DENATURED ALCOHOL from your hardware store, to your washer fluid tank every time you refill it with the cheap "Summer Formula" washer fluid, or pay more for the "Winter Formula" fluid, which costs more because they added alcohol to it. The alcohol disolves oil on your windshield, and PREVENTS THE FLUID FROM FREEZING.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i think most folks accidentally hits that nozzle with their ice scraper without
knowning and it just breaks off.

i doubt the pressure from the frozen nozzle would be enough to pop it out
of the glass. if that was the case, i think the front washer nozzles would also
pop out off the bonnet on a lot of cars in the winter due to it being frozen
and closer to the pump. hahaha.

just expressing my opinion.