1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Fit a good performance platform?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Fit a good performance platform?

I did a search and read over a number of threads, but I still wonder - is the Fit a good performance platform?

I bought the Fit to be a gas saver. However, it seems to be a fairly nice handling car. It's slow as the day is long though. I sold off my high performance cars mainly to get more garage space, but also because it was getting hard to justify a $30k car just sitting there waiting for the next $500 track day. Now that the Fit sits where said track car used to reside, I have to wonder if it couldn't pull double duty. DE's are not a race so winning isn't the point, fun is. (sidenote - Had to laugh at the Kraftwerks Fit/M5 race video. The M5 is not a very good track car.) I used to run BMW 2002s which were fast econo-boxes. The Mini S's do very well on track days, but imo, are overpriced. I wonder if the Fit could be a modern version of an old concept - cheap, roomy, mileage, performance?

That said, is the Fit a suitable platform for performance upgrades? I see the Kraftwerks SC kit which would get some hp on the menu, and I know there are suspension mods available. Toss on some R compound tires and I have to think it might be a fun car for tight tracks and auto-X.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:09 AM
If you want to make power then your gunna have to supercharge/boost or kswap.

I know a lot of people do autoX with the car though and it sounds like fun. Like you said, it does handle well and with some basic suspension mods it will even better. I hear a rear sway bar is money

Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
If you can live with the fact that the car was never designed to handle Evo-busting power, then yes, I think it's a good performance platform. The fun has more to do with its inherent good handling than anything else.

I don't think the Fit would disappoint you if you push through with the double-duty idea.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Type 100
If you can live with the fact that the car was never designed to handle Evo-busting power, then yes
Absolutely! - I should point out that my expectations are realistic. I'm not looking to hunt Evos or STis. I simply want to increase the performance above baseline making it more suitable for track. I suspect I could throw stupid money at the Fit and still get lunched by the above cars in stock form. But, if I can throw a $3k SC on it and another $2.5k in suspension and Dot Rs, I have a nice, efficient car for daily use and fun for the track. Total spent on the car would be $20k, which seems high, but it's a lot cheaper to throw $5.5k at the car than buy a track car and insurance, not to mention the above mentioned parking hassles.

But, if there's some reason that the Fit is unsuitable, such as inherent handling issues that I am not aware of, or something about the engine that makes it not worth enhancing, I would like to know. My guess is it would be okay because I see so many Si's and GSRs at the track. Good bloodline.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nevada72
Absolutely! - I should point out that my expectations are realistic. I'm not looking to hunt Evos or STis. I simply want to increase the performance above baseline making it more suitable for track. I suspect I could throw stupid money at the Fit and still get lunched by the above cars in stock form. But, if I can throw a $3k SC on it and another $2.5k in suspension and Dot Rs, I have a nice, efficient car for daily use and fun for the track. Total spent on the car would be $20k, which seems high, but it's a lot cheaper to throw $5.5k at the car than buy a track car and insurance, not to mention the above mentioned parking hassles.

But, if there's some reason that the Fit is unsuitable, such as inherent handling issues that I am not aware of, or something about the engine that makes it not worth enhancing, I would like to know. My guess is it would be okay because I see so many Si's and GSRs at the track. Good bloodline.
i bought the Fit to save gas also. But being that the Fit handles very well for what it is, is an added bonus making it a worthy platform over most econo boxes. So yes the fit can be made to go fast. But like you mentioned above, dont expect to be punching Evos and STI's in face. But with a FI setup you will be owning on cars in the same class as the Fit and having a damn good time doing it. Not to mention keeping up with the faster Hondas.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by AnlDyxp_GD3
....But with a FI setup you will be owning on cars in the same class as the Fit and having a damn good time doing it.
That's what I'm after - fun! Could you elaborate on the FI setup?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 PM
That's what I'm after - fun! Could you elaborate on the FI setup?

Forced Induction

T1R Turbo
HKS Turbo
Kraftwerks Supercharger

Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
yeah there are a couple of options. As mentioned above, T1R, HKS, Greddy, Kraftwerks all have an applications for the Fit. do some research and choose wisely =]

Old 02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit is a great base for performance tuning.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member

Do you have an 07, 08 or 2009?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by NBPturtle
Forced Induction

T1R Turbo
HKS Turbo
Kraftwerks Supercharger
Oh - got it. I thought you were referring to Fuel Injection work. Thanks for explaining. Yes, so far I've looked into the Kraftwerks. It's even on sale. I will investigate further.

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Do you have an 07, 08 or 2009?
It's an 08 manual Sport.

Last edited by nevada72; 02-19-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
It's an 08 manual Sport.

you sir...are a winner

Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NBPturtle
you sir...are a winner
hehe, then yes... a very good platform indeed

Old 02-19-2009, 02:40 PM
....and it's gray!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Oh - got it. I thought you were referring to Fuel Injection work. Thanks for explaining. Yes, so far I've looked into the Kraftwerks. It's even on sale. I will investigate further.
kraftwerks is on sale..but id recomend the HKS kit over it. you can get the HKS kit from evasivemotorsports.com for $3000 i think. will get you at least 20more HP than krafterwerks and still be streetable, while being easier to upgrade as well.
just redo the turbo oil drain to somthing better and add a BOV to the HKS kit and its a very nice setup.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
I had a thought the other day while perusing the eBay 'salvage' title cars. Several of them offered what could be a less expensive route for the Fit. My idea: Buy a wrecked Fit and -GUT- it. Sell off the interior (who needs a dash or airbags in a track car?) and every other part (K20 swap!) you won't be using and then build a decent little fun car for 'off-road use only'. I saw one yesterday (day before?) which needed a door, fender, and headlight and they wanted less than $6,000.

Best of both worlds. You keep your daily driver for fuel economy, then jump into your other car for playing around.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
the fit is designed to be a gas sipping people mover

Old 02-21-2009, 05:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
the fit is designed to be a gas sipping people mover
Much like the original Chevy II/ Nova. Look how many of them are sporting 500 horse small blocks today.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
It's an econobox that happens to handle well. Why race it? That's just dumb. Just mod it to handle better and look nice, but don't expect it to beast on anything other than on another econobox. At least you were smart enough to get the stick shift. That adds to the fun factor

Old 02-28-2009, 05:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Contrabida Face
It's an econobox that happens to handle well. Why race it? That's just dumb. Just mod it to handle better and look nice, but don't expect it to beast on anything other than on another econobox. At least you were smart enough to get the stick shift. That adds to the fun factor
a dude i could kick it with. plus a vallejo local. sup mang. lemme shoot your car

Quick Reply: Fit a good performance platform?