1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Front Bumper Cover :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
Front Bumper Cover :(

I had a minor "incident" with a snowbank this winter, and sustained some damage to the front bumper cover (some cracking/paint splitting).

I took it in to a place for an estimate, and he said while they said they could fix it (using a combination of heating/gluing/compound/paint) for approx $400, he said the next time I "bumped something", it'd likely start to paintsplit again. So that didn't sound like an appealing option.

He actually recommended I look into replacing the entire bumper cover. He mentioned OEM and also 'after-market', but couldn't get a price as there were none in stock from his suppliers. He said to try again in 6 months.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice, or knows what type of price I'm looking at? I'm in Canada.

Thanks, and love the car! (it is a 2007 standard model)

Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 AM
If you're looking at replacing your bumper, maybe look out for some after market ones like the guy said. Like INGS etc

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
I had a minor accident and the paint was screwed up enough for me to just say screw it and replace the bumper. For the part, painting and mounting I was charged $600 USD.

I looked into an aftermarket bumper but decided I'd rather have a reliable sturdy bumper than a fiberglass bumper that will for sure get cracked with someone just leaning on it.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
hrmm

Thanks for the replies. I am now checking into prices for the bumper up here in Canada. The US price at bernardiparts.com is really good ($157 USD), but once you calculate shipping ($97USD) and customs, I'm sure it is not as appealing as just getting one up here.

So I buy the bumper and it comes "unpainted" right, and then I take it to a place that'll paint it and mount it? Ugh my poor car!!

Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
Going to a local body shop is the best bet. They will order the product, paint it and mount it all for you. If you need your car go there and pay them for the part and have them tell you when it's in so you can drop your car off. That way your car does'nt sit there while they wait for the part to be delivered.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
keep an eye out in the For Sale section. Theres people selling their bumpers. If you're lucky you might even get one that matches your car color. and putting the bumper on is easy. goodluck! =]

Old 04-06-2009, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
One might also suggest eBay. I see bumper covers on there quite often, and one of the usual sellers is located in Canuckia. Replacing it yourself is easy, too. There are only 4 screws and a double handful of push-pins to remove and it comes right off.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
wait, i just re-read the first post. A bumper cover?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry I mean the bumper itself.. Front bumper.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFieFoeFum
oh fsho. yeah check the For Sale threads. You find bumper for sale every now and than. If your lucky you can find one in your color

Old 04-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
6months? LOL hahaha.

if you plan on bumping your car again why not just leave it as is?

Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Banned
Not in stock from suppliers? Honda doesnt count? Their not as expensive as everybody thinks. Honda parts come pretty cheap. A new honda bumper painted by a good shop should cost around $600 and maybe less.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Halifax Dealership 1
"The front bumper cover for a 2007Fit, is $537 plus painting and installation. The exact figure for painting & installation I am not sure of, but it is around $300-$400."

Halifax Dealership 2
"
hello

a replacement bumper, painted and installed would be $1168.63 tax included. That said if you had a crash it would be worth visiting our body shop to have it checked and make sure no further repairs might be needed.

thanks"

Sydney Dealership: "We don't do autobody here, but the bumper is $537 plus tax"

Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM
5 Year Member
put a bra on it 100 $

Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by iKONA636
Not in stock from suppliers? Honda doesnt count? Their not as expensive as everybody thinks. Honda parts come pretty cheap. A new honda bumper painted by a good shop should cost around $600 and maybe less.
I paid $1,200 for both the rear bumper and front bumper painted and mounted.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
I had my Crown Vic turn sideways in snow and slid perpendicular on a concrete divider for about 100ft. No damage to the car whatsoever save for all the paint being removed from the front bumper.

Working at a dealership at the time, the lot guy noticed my problem and told me something great. Even though cars come to the lot on carriers with all that plastic on them, they still occasionally got damaged in shipping. Since we obviously aren't going to pay hundreds to fix each car at a body shop, we had a guy that came in a truck every week or every other week or whatever. The lot guy said when he came in to talk to him.

The guy came and I showed him my car. I gave him $100 cash and in a hour, my bumper was paint matched perfectly, done right in the parking lot, and looked as good as if the spendy body shop in town did it. He said it would be dry to the touch in a hour or so, but not to wash it for a few days. I had the car for another year or so before someone drove into it and totaled it and no one could ever tell what had happened to it.

So to wrap things up, talk to your local dealer and ask if they have someone come in to touch up new cars that get damaged. Slip him whatever, and come back in a hour. I guess he put mine on the books because I believe I even got a receipt in case it wasn't perfect.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Cool

I feel your pain. Couple weeks ago some old doofus decides to back up in the street, into my front bumper and it broke through the shell, like a small puncture. It took a pretty good hit, but held up remarkably well considering. Anyway, I've gotten two estimates for repair/repaint, blending the new paint (around the hood & sides if necessary), possibly fixing the stiffener underneath if damaged, etc for about $630. I was told the color might not be exact, thus the blending technique to be less noticable. The other quote was for $580. Both said that complete replacement wasn't necessary, only repair. Fortunately this guy had insurance thats going to cover the cost to repair.
I was so p'od. I've babied this car, it had hardly any rock dings or anything, now this.
Good luck with yours.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFieFoeFum
Are you sure? The bumper is the steel part under the bumper cover. It isn't visible and doesn't matter what color it is. The bumper cover (Honda calls it the bumper 'face') is the plastic piece over it.

...at least that's the way -I- see it.

Or another way of putting it: Do you need part #04711-SLN-A71ZZ, or part #71130-SLN-A00ZZ ??? I need to get something done with mine, too. I was heading home from work the other morning and hit a 'road alligator. (just google it) Tore the lower cover from under the bumper face and left gaping holes in the trailing edge. The damage isn't visible unless you're lying on the ground, but I can't put the lower cover back on until I fill the holes where the bumper clips were.

Oooo.. Bernardi has the the rear cargo tray on sale for $39.95 ... Too bad I already have one.

Last edited by E = Mc2; 04-07-2009 at 08:55 PM.