1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Dead Pedal Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Dead Pedal Troubles

I bought the zeta dead pedal for the gd3, but when I went to install it, the holes didn't line up correctly.
I sent it back and they drilled out the top hole so that it would be elongated to fit. It looked good to me, but when I tried to install it today I'm getting similar problems. They joints just are not flush and I have to push the rear of the pedal hard into the carpet to make the holes angle more correctly, however it still does not seem to line up.

For those of you who have the zeta dead pedal, how difficult is it to install? I realize it's a little tricky holding the pedal up, and the hood release and putting the bolts through, but this just seems too difficult.
Please post your experiences so I can decide whether to persist or just return it.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:51 PM
I installed it a year ago, but it took me about 20-30 minutes start to finish. It WAS a bitch to hold it up while putting the bolts through, especially with my knees on crappy pavement and I'm tall, leaning into the car. Try to find a DIY on here or on google.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
was a 5 minute job for me, you just remove the plastic cover, then the two screws that hold the hood release, pop in the pedal and bolt it back up.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 PM
i had the same problem. but i sent pictures on how it didnt line up.

got it back and no problems after that.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Huh. I intentionally pushed mine as hard as it would go towards the front of the car... At least at the top. After installing it the first time, I wasn't satisfied with the angle and had to re-install it. The setup does have a little give to it when you are installing. I put in one bolt and got it close to being snug, then used it as a pivot to line up the other hole.

Gots to say that I really like my Zeta dead pedal. I drive 100 miles to/from work every day and it really comes in handy.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 AM
5 Year Member
I installed mine a couple weeks ago. I put in the top bolt first (loosely) and had my wife step down on the pedal to align the bottom hole. That did not work. I just kept moving it around and messing with it until I could get the first few threads of the bolt in there. Once you get those first few threads, you're golden. It's perfect now and very stable. The angle is a little steeper than other dead pedals on other cars, but I honestly could not live without this in the Fit.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I wasn't the easiest bolt-on, but is was still only a 10-minute job, and I had no 2nd person to help. Everything lined up well enough, and the tension on the hood release was much less than I'd anticipated. A very worth-while accessory; you'll love it once you get it installed.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i did mine in 22F weather at night. took maybe 10-15min tops. and no helpers needed.

i have to say even after 2 winter salt seasons it has yet to show any rust.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:24 PM
zeta dead pedal

Hi
i installed mine on my 08 fit about 10 months ago at work in about 15 min.I started a few threads on top bolt first and than started lower bolt.than just snuged up each bolt a little at a time.I could not live with-out that dead pedal
Jimrb66

Old 06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Mine was also a major pain to install. However, once I finally got the screws partailly in and was able to tighten them down the fitment was perfect. Almost as perfect as it was ment to be there from the factory.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
thanks for the replies everyone! I'm definitely going to try it again.

I should have asked my question a little differently though. When you take all the parts off, and push the hood latch out of the way, and line up the dead pedal for placement, does the tab on the dead pedal sit flush against the metal of the car? Mine looks way off, and the angles are not orthogonal. It looks like there's no way in hell that it's going to be able to screw in. That's why I gave up so easily.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
not sure but maybe you were looking at the wrong screw holes
or just holding the pedal in a different angle.

the fitment is near perfect. as mentioned above, pretty much
a OE fit.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
The legs of the dead pedal that bolt onto the car are all different, since they seem to be hand welded. The first dead pedal sent to me was not at a 90 degree angle, so I couldn't get it to line up to bolt. I had to send that one back and get a replacement, which was better welded in terms of angle. After I got the replacement, it took 15-20 minutes for me to install, and still required a lot of pushing the dead pedal into the floor to allow proper alignment.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 PM
LOL...i guess im the only one that took 35-40 mins to get mine in. Had the same troubles until I finally got one screw in to hold the pedal while I realigned it for the second screw.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 PM
What does it do for you

I dont ever put my foot up there. seems uncomfortable

Old 06-18-2009, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
really? my left foot is on there almost all the time unless it's on the clutch pedal.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM
dang, now it makes me think twice about this dead pedal, was looking into buying one but i don't want to deal with all that hassle to try to fit it on (or returning it to get new ones that fit). tsk tsk..

Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by OutkastGS3
dang, now it makes me think twice about this dead pedal, was looking into buying one but i don't want to deal with all that hassle to try to fit it on (or returning it to get new ones that fit). tsk tsk..
We have sold thousands of the pedals all over the world! The percentage of problems has been quite small, way less than 1%. As with anything, there is always a chance that a product slips through the cracks that does not meet specs. We stand behind our products 100% and we will do whatever we can to make things right!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
I experienced similar problems as the original poster, and was unable to install the pedal. I just e-mail you guys at support@zetaproducts.net.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM
The holes on my Zeta dead pedal were all off . I had to attack it with my vise and a hammer for 20 min before it lined up. Once I got it on though it quickly became one of my favorite upgrades . A must have for us long-legged drivers.

Quick Reply: Dead Pedal Troubles