1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Transmission problem And Dealer Story!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:35 PM
Transmission problem And Dealer Story!!

Ok i have had my 07 auto Fit since 6 miles, I am now at 31,500.
Two weeks ago, on normal acceleration after the engine got warm (occured a few times right at start) the transmission would slam into first and then second and then third. And when i say slam i mean it would jerk me forward, wasnt beating on it, normal acceleration, revs go a little higher than normal and SLAM!. Take it to honda on grand here in chicago, and they replace a trans fluid switch that they say shorted out, also try to get my to do a trans fluid swap for 159.99 THEY ARE OUT OF THEIR RIGHT MINDS thats a 60.00 job anywhere else, i decline and leave. all is well.

2 days later the car seems to be acting strange again, not slamming into gear anymore but, first is reving a bit higher than normal and when i get to second it shifts and then hesitates and kicks in, almost like it quick shifts from second to third, bam - bam, annoyed, i bring it in again yesterday. They call and ask me if i have my stock exhaust. I have an Aspec axle back. Have had it since 5,000 miles. I ask why and they state that they need the stock exhuast to have stock backpressure, etc. I bring them the stock axle back this morning and they just called and said that it was the aspec exhuast that may be causingthe issue. I agree to come pick it up and drive it for a few days to see if the problem persists.

Any ideas?

Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM
They're on crack.

The exhaust is no way related to when your car shifts.

myke

Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
sounds like they flashed ECU ? i dont have auto but some else chime in if im wrong

Old 07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
wtf...those ppl know nothin

Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
To be honest the dealer on Grand does not impress me but at least they are trying. I doubt they know whats wrong with the trans so they are doing the process of elimination. Just make sure you keep all your receipts of when you go in there that way you got proof of the problem. Even once the warranty is up they have to cover the problem because your complaints began when you were in warranty.

Oh and no your exhaust is not the problem BUT believe it or not I had a Civic that when I installed led taillights it caused the tranny to shift hard as hell. For some reason the trans circuit ran through the taillight circuit, WEIRD. So it could be something simple. But keep records of your problem.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 PM
ARghhhh I hope the GD3s don't have bad transmission issues. It's really too early to tell... bummer.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:34 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITFOLLY
ARghhhh I hope the GD3s don't have bad transmission issues. It's really too early to tell... bummer.
too early to tell? my car is 3 years old.

any who...the dealer is F.O.S! The Magnuson Moss act protects aftermarket parts users. They must in fact have documented proof that the exhaust is what caused the failure in the TRANSMISSION. I work for an exhaust manufacturer and battle alll daayyyy loooong on these issues...as I am in the Tech/Warranty dept.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-29-2009, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
Most transmissions that I've seen have a throttle control valve or vacuum modulator valve.... Since the Fit has drive by wire a throttle control valve would be electronic and it is possible that it could also work off of be controlled by vacuum or throttle position.... either way, that is what it seems like is causing the problem based on my experiences and what you describe.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member
The only thing that I can see on a breakdown of shifter parts at the Majestic Honda website that I think could be related to the problem that you describe is the shifter solenoid but there has to be something that activates it that is the cause.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by gimme
too early to tell? my car is 3 years old.
I don't really think 3 years is long enough to be sure they won't start running into problems chronically like my last Honda was known to do. No news is good news on that front, so far so good, I'm just paranoid.

My AT '01 Civic would eat a transmission consistently every 75k miles.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Texas,
I was thinking about a vacuum being effected, but the way i typed it out it looked like i was being a smart ass when I wasn't

Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if it persists i would change the tranny fluid... 31k miles is usually too soon to change but considering abrupt shifts it could be the problem.

do you hypermile? im not sure how keeping in neutral affects our current trannies but some older AT trannies cant get enough oil when coasting in neutral...perhaps this was only in the early days.

someone with more knowledge explain...

you dont do any neutral-drops on your car, right?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not as sleepy as I was The last time I posted and thinking better.... I came back to this thread to say the same thing that kenchan already said..... If your driving consist of a lot of short trips in an urban setting where it gets as cold as it does where you live, I would think that a fluid change may be well over due.... The back flush process is a good thing but I would make sure that the fluid used meets Honda's standards..... If you just drop the pan and change the filter and fluid yourself it will not remove the fluid in the converter but you will know that that the fluid you purchase is the right stuff and the effects will be the same............Thanks gimme for the link on the warranty act.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM
hey guys

Thanks for the quick and way informative responses. So texas do you think i should maybe mention the drive by wire system and the switch to them, and the other part you mentioned? maybe this will point them in a direction they dont even know to go? and the other thing, by show of hands i would say that i should probably swap the fluid and see if that helps?

thanks again guys

oh yes, btw Never any neutral drops or the neutral coasting, i have never even heard of that ha

Old 07-29-2009, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
I would change the fluid first. If it is back flushed the labor is cheaper and there is no need to replace the filter.

Old 07-29-2009, 03:26 PM
hmm ok. Dont think im going to take it to grand though they wanted as stated above ridiculous amount, called ohare where i bought the car and they said backflush and swap 80.00

Old 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
I believe that is a fair price because it was more than that in 2001.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM
also forgot to mention, was getting a whirling noise coming from the front, they told me it was because the gas tank is under the drivers and passenger seat, it can get loud, well how come i havent heard it in 30,000 miles?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
That whirling sound isn't good if you are having transmission problems...... It sounds like it could be the death rattle.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
That whirling sound isn't good if you are having transmission problems...... It sounds like it could be the death rattle.
The noise is the car counting down to self destruct

Hey all joking aside is the auto trans on the Fits a CVT Transaxle??

Quick Reply: Transmission problem And Dealer Story!!