1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Noisy steering!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Noisy steering!!!

My steering on this car is about to drive me CRAZY. When I turn the wheel to the right at stopped or very low speeds, *creeeeeeeeaaaaaak*. It sounds like a rubber shoe on a wet linoleum floor, but not very loud.

It's not a drivability issue (so they say), but it's driving me NUTS. I've had it in twice, both times for a full day, and once they replaced the cable reel (nope) and the other, they lubricated something in the rack (Nope!). Neither worked. I'm not taking it back again JUST for that, since it's not affecting driving, but what could be the problem here?

Old 08-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I would bet it is the boots on the ball joints or the tire rod ends. I had this on my Dakota after replacing the ball joints. Even after 40,000 miles they still made a creaking noise. I had my wife turn the wheel when I listened with a tire off. Sure enough the ball joint was making the noise. The grease seal on these newer sealed grease-less joints seem to make noise.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
mine has done it for quite a while.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
could be your strut mounts. the entire strut turns with the steering so that's about the only mechanical thing that can make noise. wonder if your top mount bearing is binding.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:18 PM
The grease seals are what they lubricated. It worked for a few days, but now it's back again. It ONLY happens when I'm turning the wheel to the right from center. No noise at full lock, and no noise on left turns. Just from centerline to right-turn. Odd.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I hear it inside the cab. just beneath the steering column somewhere. squeaky shoe sounds about right

Old 08-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Same place as in mine. They actually took my column apart to find it and finally had to call Honda. They guessed at it, but apparently, they weren't right either.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gimme
I hear it inside the cab. just beneath the steering column somewhere. squeaky shoe sounds about right

i have had this too, started about at 26k. it comes and goes though.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
oh, i thought you were getting like a rubber creaking sound...hummm...

id remove the steering wheel and take a look inside. but remember you need to unplug your battery and let the ECU drain at least a good 3-5min before you remove the airbag. (i just step on the brake pedal to drain the remaining power) otherwise i can potentially deploy... and that can be very harmful / potentially deadly. so do it at your own risk).

Old 08-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Conflicted
The grease seals are what they lubricated. It worked for a few days, but now it's back again. It ONLY happens when I'm turning the wheel to the right from center. No noise at full lock, and no noise on left turns. Just from centerline to right-turn. Odd.
maybe they messed up the passenger one?

Old 08-12-2009, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
Check and maybe lube the grommet where the steering shaft goes through the firewall.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
oh, i thought you were getting like a rubber creaking sound...hummm...

id remove the steering wheel and take a look inside. but remember you need to unplug your battery and let the ECU drain at least a good 3-5min before you remove the airbag. (i just step on the brake pedal to drain the remaining power) otherwise i can potentially deploy... and that can be very harmful / potentially deadly. so do it at your own risk).
Umm...yeahnot! It's not in the wheel. It's definitely behind the dash.

Originally Posted by Yes, I Vtec
maybe they messed up the passenger one?
I don't think so. It's always been in the passenger side and the same noise, so I don't think that's the case.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
yah, it's hard to diagnose with your explanation...

hope you find the root cause though.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Apparently, it's hard to find, period. It's annoying, but doesn't seem to mess anything up. I just thought someone else might have gotten theirs fixed.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Have you had someone else with their head under the hood listening to it to try to locate it?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
They couldn't hear it over the engine. It's not even that loud inside the car...it's just realllly audible if the radio is off and there are NO KIDS in the car. LOL.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Bringing up an old thread

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? mine occurs when turning the steering wheel to the left...

mechanics also tested it at no load and there was no noise....

Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
So does mine, it only occurs when turning the steering wheel to the left...

Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
could be your strut mounts. the entire strut turns with the steering so that's about the only mechanical thing that can make noise. wonder if your top mount bearing is binding.

yeah, I like that source better than the boots.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
wow, it happens to me too, after a tierod set change, and strangely i have exactly the same problem, the sound tipe and the causes only centerline to the right, but mine is RHD.. i'm very curious too about this, because i've greased the ball joint boot and like other said on this page, but it still there, than a mechanic told me that its the sound from the supporting rubber above the shock, i haven't checked it yet, but, its quite reasonable..

Quick Reply: Noisy steering!!!