1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

can a 2007 Fit be towed behind a RV with 4 wheels down?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:08 PM
can a 2007 Fit be towed behind a RV with 4 wheels down?

My owners manual states nothing about it being towable. I emailed REMCO ( a parts dealer for tow vehicles) and they said that in 2008, Honda said that the 2008 Fit is towable. Remco also said that since my 2007 transmission is the same as a 2008, then it to is towable. Has anyone towed a 2007 Fit behind an Rv? Thanks, Jim

Old 10-18-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I used to work for a Honda Dealership and they told me the only vehicle that can be towed on 4 wheels behind a RV ist the CR-V...

Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for thr reply. I heard the same thing but just downloaded the 2008 Fit manual and it says you can tow it behind a motorhome !! Nice dog.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jimboy
My owners manual states nothing about it being towable. I emailed REMCO ( a parts dealer for tow vehicles) and they said that in 2008, Honda said that the 2008 Fit is towable. Remco also said that since my 2007 transmission is the same as a 2008, then it to is towable. Has anyone towed a 2007 Fit behind an Rv? Thanks, Jim

You can tow a Fit behind the MH but expeience says to tow it on a dolly with front wheels off the ground.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks jimboy
But I think what mahout says is right - almost every car can be towed with a dolly, but there's only a few that can be towed flat..to be prfectly sure, ask somebody in your Dealership, they should know!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mela_SC
Thanks jimboy
But I think what mahout says is right - almost every car can be towed with a dolly, but there's only a few that can be towed flat..to be prfectly sure, ask somebody in your Dealership, they should know!

The best thing to do is go to the motor home forums and ask them. Experience counts more than manuals or opinions.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:17 AM
the manual says you can, but for an a/t you have to stop every so often or something like that or youll fry the trans

found on another site

Honda does not recommend this car for flat towing. If you set it up for flat towing and something goes wrong due to it being towed it will not be under warranty. It will be a tow at your own risk.

AS is giving proper instructions for the CR-V to be towed. If you look on page 358 of your Civic owners manual it will tell you the following:

"With the front wheels on the ground, do not tow the vehicle more than 50 miles, and keep the speed below 35 mph."

from honda:

Is it possible to tow my Honda vehicle with all four wheels on the ground (dinghy towing)?
For model year 2006 and newer, if a Honda vehicle is approved for towing with all four wheels on the ground, it will be noted in the Owner’s Manual for that vehicle. Please refer to the owner's manual for specific towing instructions.

For model year 2005 and older, dinghy towing capability may or may not be possible. Please contact Honda Automobile Customer Service (800-999-1009) for additional information on whether or not your specific 2005 or older vehicle may be dinghy towable.

Last edited by HONDAMATIC; 10-22-2009 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
2007 fit is towable-- Honda Headquarters

Upon request, I have recieved an Honda Letter from their headquarters in California , that the 2007 Honda Fit is towable behind an RV with all 4 wheels down. I can use this letter if I ever do have trans problems. Thanks to all who gave me input.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mela_SC
I used to work for a Honda Dealership and they told me the only vehicle that can be towed on 4 wheels behind a RV ist the CR-V...
My manual for my 02 crv says to only tow with four wheels off the ground.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Details?

Upon request, I have recieved an Honda Letter from their headquarters in California , that the 2007 Honda Fit is towable behind an RV with all 4 wheels down. I can use this letter if I ever do have trans problems. Thanks to all who gave me input.
What else is required? I want to do the same.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
My recollection is the crv used a mechanical clutch pack that responded to differences in rotational speed. So if you tow that car with only two wheels, IE on a dolly like a normal FWD car, the clutch will engage and you will cause much damage. I had a 2004.

Honda awd cars use a similar system today, but the clutch is electronically engaged. But, don't take my dim recollection as a firm recommendation ... There may be other Hondas the same as pre 2005 crvs as well.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member
I bet for an AT, even in neutral you are whipping up the transmission fluid. Seems like not a great idea. A MT would be more or less ok.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ringstop
What else is required? I want to do the same.
Honda headquarters don't know the sheet!
Make adapter for lifting the front end to tow it behind the RV!

Old 04-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I bet for an AT, even in neutral you are whipping up the transmission fluid. Seems like not a great idea. A MT would be more or less ok.
+1! Auto cars can't be flat-towed.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Details?

Jimboy, it's been 10 years. How did that work out?

Last edited by Ringstop; 04-15-2019 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 04-22-2019, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
This is so typical. So many people assume everyone else in the world drives an automatic transmission. Saw a car with funny bumper sticker with a pictogram of the manual trans shift pattern on the spare tire cover : "Notice: This vehicle equipped with anti-theft device" So true, most young kids these days are clueless about manual tranny.

The poster jimboy didn't mention if he has auto or manual. If it's manual, like some other posters say, should be fine for flat towing if you leave it in neutral ;-).
But I'll bet he has an automatic. No matter what anyone tells me, I would not flat tow an automatic tranny. Period. Two wheel dollies are too readily available and cheep insurance.

Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 AM
I don't have a clue what the issue would be with a manual trans.........could be left in gear?????

Old 05-25-2019, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Hi, i have owned my AT Sport for 13 years now (bought 04/2006). After an inquiry to Honda Canada, I got an e-mail given me an OK and a sheet of easy to follow instructions while the Fit is being towed as a youyou.
I installed a base plate 5 years ago but never had a reason to tow it behind my RV untill last summer. With 180 000km on it, I decided that Montreal to Yellowstone would be the ideal trip to give it a try. My bad (never replaced the oil, used as a family car on mountain roads, driven like a sport car...) or old age, the transmission failed. The car made it back home on a dolly!
I replaced the AT with a used one and decided to give it a new chance: This winter I towed it all the way to Mexico and back with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever.
I will repeat the experience next winter.

Incidently, the Honda Fit is one of the most towed car / youyou that I have seen on the road on in campsites... never on a dolly, always on its wheels, all generations but the last,with the belt transmission.

It is the perfect trailer / car combo for snowbirds!

Old 05-25-2019, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Good info. Sounds like a real world answer right there.

Old 02-22-2020, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by tricolor
Hi, i have owned my AT Sport for 13 years now (bought 04/2006). After an inquiry to Honda Canada, I got an e-mail given me an OK and a sheet of easy to follow instructions while the Fit is being towed as a youyou.
I installed a base plate 5 years ago but never had a reason to tow it behind my RV untill last summer. With 180 000km on it, I decided that Montreal to Yellowstone would be the ideal trip to give it a try. My bad (never replaced the oil, used as a family car on mountain roads, driven like a sport car...) or old age, the transmission failed. The car made it back home on a dolly!
I replaced the AT with a used one and decided to give it a new chance: This winter I towed it all the way to Mexico and back with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever.
I will repeat the experience next winter.

Incidently, the Honda Fit is one of the most towed car / youyou that I have seen on the road on in campsites... never on a dolly, always on its wheels, all generations but the last,with the belt transmission.

It is the perfect trailer / car combo for snowbirds!
It would be great if you had the instructions that Honda sent you and would share the information. I want to try towing my 2007 Fit with an automatic too. Maybe I want to have the transmission fluid changed first?

Quick Reply: can a 2007 Fit be towed behind a RV with 4 wheels down?