1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

07 Fit MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 11:45 AM
5 Year Member
I average around 34mpg but just started mostly using the paddles and I can tell the fuel economy is better (at least according to the erroneous mpg-o-meter)

Old 04-03-2010, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Who wants MORE miles on a tank of gas? I will hit 360-365 miles BEFORE my low gas light comes on. And often go 50 more miles before filling when the light does come on. But I am only getting 33.5 MPG highway driving 75 MPH. When I fill up, I will put in up to 12.9 gallons in a 10.6 gallon tank!

How so you say? Defeating the laws of physics. When I fill up and it clicks off, I shake the car side to side, add gas, shake, ad gas, shake.... This puts .2 gallons in each time. I can fill it up to the opening, about another two gallons after first click. I will get 120 miles before the gas needle even moves. 220 miles to a half tank. And the above mentioned 360 plus miles when the low gas light comes on. If I fill to first click I am lucky to get 280 miles until the gas light comes on.

Please, please, please don't tell me it is not good to fill up that full. Been doing it since new, 50,000 miles and have not had one lick of trouble. If you don't want to do it then don't. Don't rain on my parade...

Last edited by rocksnap; 04-03-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
oh nice haha i get it lmao

Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 AM
We have the 07 Sport MT and cosistantly got 42-43 on one particular trip. At 35K the Engine light came on and the dealer reset and found a coolant temp error. They swear nothing else. My mileage on that same trip was 35. Since then I had one at 31 where I used to have 35. I'm a bit confused. We aren't hyper milers but do practice good driving habits to get decent MPG. BTW, the best ever was 48.08 but that one took some tricks.
A set of new tires hasn't helped so far. We opted to go for a better ride and taller stance with the Pirelli P4 in 185/60/15. That did give us a true speed of 72.5 at an indicated 70. The ODO is also off showing a 4% having driven more than registered. A new air filter was installed recently in hopes this may be part of the problem. I'm also wondering if a change in gas formulation has something to do with the poor mpg. Oh well, I still laugh when we pass a SUV using three times the fuel that we do!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 07 AT with 50k miles on it. I get 38 ~ 39 MPG hwy with a lots of stop and go trafic. I try not to drive over 75 and I'm light on the right foot. Im very happy with the mileage as my last car 2004 Suzuki Aerio only got 29 mpg on a good day and with the AC on it go 26 mpg.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
i don't think i've ever gotten under 30 mpg combined. 300 miles a tank is 30+mpg, it's only a 10 gallon tank...like others have said, it's more about your driving habits

Old 04-12-2010, 04:09 PM
380 miles with 11 gallons in the tank. This was with back to back fill ups..Mixed highway and stop and go. I thought I would hit 400 on these tanks because I went 120 miles before the needle hit the f mark. ~34 mpg??

Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap
Who wants MORE miles on a tank of gas? I will hit 360-365 miles BEFORE my low gas light comes on. And often go 50 more miles before filling when the light does come on. But I am only getting 33.5 MPG highway driving 75 MPH. When I fill up, I will put in up to 12.9 gallons in a 10.6 gallon tank!

How so you say? Defeating the laws of physics. When I fill up and it clicks off, I shake the car side to side, add gas, shake, ad gas, shake.... This puts .2 gallons in each time. I can fill it up to the opening, about another two gallons after first click. I will get 120 miles before the gas needle even moves. 220 miles to a half tank. And the above mentioned 360 plus miles when the low gas light comes on. If I fill to first click I am lucky to get 280 miles until the gas light comes on.

Please, please, please don't tell me it is not good to fill up that full. Been doing it since new, 50,000 miles and have not had one lick of trouble. If you don't want to do it then don't. Don't rain on my parade...
I've been told that the way you're filling up your tank is dangerous. Problems won't be noticed until you get 51,000 miles on the car.... it will then promptly explode.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by srad2drag
As of right now I'm at 290 miles and my needle is less than 1/4. I filled up on Monday and the car took 9.6 gallons. So roughly 30 mpg at this point..Still not good enough.

But as was mentioned earlier I have to re train myself to drive gas conservingly if thats a word lol..
That's what I'm getting too, at around 280 or 290mi it's time to fill up and it takes on 8.x or 9.x gal. I don't run tanks bone dry.

My fiancee seems to get slightly better mileage than I do when she drives the car. Then again, she thinks my car is quick, while I find the acceleration lackluster but adequate for a commuter car. I'm going to venture a guess that I'm a bit heavier on the throttle than she is.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Filled up again last night. Put in another 11 gallons. On this last tank I managed to 426 miles. Again this was with mixed highway and stop and go..My gas light came on at 390 mile mark. I think I could have pushed it alittle further but was alittle leery of that. I did notice that when I was refueling the pump stopped at 9.7 gallons. But I kept shoveling in the gas until I hit the 11 mark.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:07 PM
Filled up again last night. Put in another 11 gallons. On this last tank I managed to 426 miles. Again this was with mixed highway and stop and go..My gas light came on at 390 mile mark. I think I could have pushed it alittle further but was alittle leery of that. I did notice that when I was refueling the pump stopped at 9.7 gallons. But I kept shoveling in the gas until I hit the 11 mark.
Once the pump shuts off the tank is full as far as I am concerned. I had always understood that it was bad to overfill a tank because you overload the EVAP system. I also avoid running tanks low for two reasons. One, the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel it is sitting in, and running the tank low allows the pump to run hotter causing it to burn out faster. I try to never run below 1/8 tank. The other reason applies more to older cars, where running the tank bone dry sucks up all kinds of sediment and crap into the fuel system. Others may disagree with me but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I figure Honda's engineers know more about fuel tanks than I do and I'm not going to try to second guess them.

On a totally different note, I notice you also own an '86 5.0 notchback. I have an '85 GT convertible which I have converted from CFI to SEFI and from automatic to 5 speed courtesy of a wrecked '86 GT hatchback. I hope you still have the '85/'86 style nose. I always thought that the '85/'86 Mustangs were the best looking of the breed.

My Fit is my sensible, reliable, economical DD and my Mustang is my toy. I love them both, though many see that as a contradiction. I don't.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by frankiesaysrelax
Once the pump shuts off the tank is full as far as I am concerned. I had always understood that it was bad to overfill a tank because you overload the EVAP system. I also avoid running tanks low for two reasons. One, the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel it is sitting in, and running the tank low allows the pump to run hotter causing it to burn out faster. I try to never run below 1/8 tank. The other reason applies more to older cars, where running the tank bone dry sucks up all kinds of sediment and crap into the fuel system. Others may disagree with me but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I figure Honda's engineers know more about fuel tanks than I do and I'm not going to try to second guess them.

On a totally different note, I notice you also own an '86 5.0 notchback. I have an '85 GT convertible which I have converted from CFI to SEFI and from automatic to 5 speed courtesy of a wrecked '86 GT hatchback. I hope you still have the '85/'86 style nose. I always thought that the '85/'86 Mustangs were the best looking of the breed.

My Fit is my sensible, reliable, economical DD and my Mustang is my toy. I love them both, though many see that as a contradiction. I don't.

I have read people putting 12 gallons of gas on their Fits. As far as long term durability is concerned, I will take my chances. Also I think the fear of running below 1/8 tank of gas due to pump issues is a bit extreme.
Not knocking you but...damn??
The Fit is my DD too. I really like the car, it serves my needs perfectly.

As for the mustang,I still got the factory nose. I hate to see 4 eyed mustangs with a aero conversions. A good mustang site is foureyedpride.com. That site is dedicated to all 79-86 mustangs.

Here's a quick pic of my 86:

Name:  Picture182.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  106.8 KB

Name:  DSC00621.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  108.0 KB

Last edited by srad2drag; 04-15-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
I have read people putting 12 gallons of gas on their Fits. As far as long term durability is concerned, I will take my chances. Also I think the fear of running below 1/8 tank of gas due to pump issues is a bit extreme.

As for the mustang,I still got the factory nose. I hate to see 4 eyed mustangs with a aero conversions. A good mustang site is foureyedpride.com. That site is dedicated to all 79-86 mustangs.

A gas tank, whether at a low level or high level is at ambient temperature. The fuel in it is at the same temperature. So, a low tank pumps the same temperature fuel thru it as a full tank. The fuel pump knows no difference until you run out. Then the fuel pump can overheat.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:55 AM

Ohhhh Sweeetness. Thanks for sharing. That's a really nice '86 notch. Bravo! I'm a member over at FEP myself. I see you even kept the quarter windows original. What kind of cold air intake is that? I notice you have it routed through the vestigial hole for the air cleaner snorkel. I ended up cutting a big round hole to mount the MAC CAI in the factory location when I did my swap.

As for the other stuff, no sweat. I'm just sharing my reasons. The deal with overfilling was that raw gas could actually travel through the vent into the charcoal canister and soak it with gasoline. This was something I learned back in the '80s when people would try to cram as much as possible into the tank. Perhaps it isn't as applicable nowadays. The deal with cooling the fuel pump was not so much the gas flowing through it, but the level of fuel the pump itself was sitting in. I've changed a few in-tank pumps in my day, and anything I can do to prolong the life of my pump is a plus in my book. Dropping tanks to change pumps sucks. Still, the factory original pump in my old '91 CRX Si is still going strong after a quarter-million miles and I ran that SOB below E plenty of times when I was just too damn tired to stop for gas and just wanted to make it home. I gave that car to my best friend when I got the Fit because he always loved it and his Bronco was bleeding him dry with all the gas it chugged.

Anyway, here's a pic of my '85 GT

Oh, and here's a pic of the current crappy engine. I wanted to get it running and driving with a stock engine first, and then drop in a modified engine. Everything you see in the engine compartment is there because I put it there. This car was originally a CFI 5.0 AOD, so naturally everything forward of the firewall had to go.

The new engine is only a little 306. I'm not looking for monstrous HP, 300 should do just fine N/A. I might not hit that at the wheels but I'm pretty sure my new combo should be good for 300 at the flywheel. If I need more HP I'll just add a supercharger.

I love my Fit too. Like you said, it fits my needs perfectly. It is economical, dependable, well-built, sporty and good-looking as well as small and easy to park. It can carry 4 adults in comfort and squeeze in a 5th if needed, plus room in the back for plenty of cargo. If I really need cargo space, folding down the rear seat yields a cavern of space. To top it all off, it has a really nice sound system. I'm very impressed with it. It "Fits" my lifestyle perfectly.

I really should post a pic of it but I don't think there are any online. It is an '07 Sport auto in Storm Silver Metallic. One of these days I'll have to upload a pic.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:20 AM
this concerns me cause i dont know if its me or the car. i been lurking for a while but first time posts. i live in oklahoma and bought it with 52k on it in december and now have put about 2k on it. i am getting like 20-25 mpg in my 07 sport auto. i drive mostly street and about 2 -3 times a week drive about 10 miles round trip on highway. i will admit that i lead foot around every now and then but mostly just windows down and enjoy the spring air. i just put in a wix filter and new e3 plugs. i run a can of seafoam through about once every 6 weeks or so. so any ideas? i havent checked my psi but what else could it be?

also of topic but anyone else having a leak of water pooling in the back under drivers passenger seat after a heavy rain or car wash. all my window and door seals look nice, no cracking or kinks.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by sweatmachine
I just filled up and got 34mpg today, from mixed driving, hauling ass everywhere.
Very nice. I'm in the same boat as you (looking for a Fit now) and I look forward to this type of MPG.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:32 PM
I noticed a lot of MPG threads and everyone is talking about 'x' miles to a tank...does anyone actually fill up till the pump turns off, drive 200 or whatever miles, fill up till pump turns off and write down that number and do the math? The difference of a fraction of an inch in the needles position could mean a good half gallon to gallon, drastically altering numbers.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
33.1 MPG
90% CITY DRIVING
10% HIGHWAY
I got my tires pumped up to mid 40's PSI now and reaping da rewards.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by ToyBoarder
I noticed a lot of MPG threads and everyone is talking about 'x' miles to a tank...does anyone actually fill up till the pump turns off, drive 200 or whatever miles, fill up till pump turns off and write down that number and do the math? The difference of a fraction of an inch in the needles position could mean a good half gallon to gallon, drastically altering numbers.
YES...I do that. I am the author of one of those "MPG threads" and I have done the process exactly as you described. I get exact numbers like 28.25 and 27.36. But I'm learning to accept it...it's just hard to believe that my old car, a 98 Buick Century, got better gas mileage.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Yes.

Originally Posted by ToyBoarder
I've done that on every tank of every car I've ever owned. I've driven over 2 million miles in my lifetime.

My 08 Fit MT has 20k miles on it. Every tank has been calculated. I have learned that 1/2 gallon at the pumps can make a big difference and can't be trusted. Over time I've calculated all my miles and come to 36 mpg, actual. My scan gauge II, after calibrating it, is right on the money most of the time and I trust it more than the pump turning off before the tank is filled.

Quick Reply: 07 Fit MPG