1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Banged the neighbor

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 AM
Banged the neighbor

this happened this morning, lucky nobody was hurt.

I was going to follow my mom down to the shop to drop her car off. Backing out of my driveway and boom. i was looking right and she was looking left. both of us weren't paying attention. Her truck was fine, bent bumper, cracked tail light and creased bed fender. Now my family is down two cars, but i still got my bike to get around.

Not sure on what to do now, i could get a cf hatch, new light and reused the bumper. not sure, going tomorrow and get a quote on the repairs.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
Were we not taught to look both ways?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 AM
Ouch

Atleast no-one was hurt. Be careful next time and GL with repairs.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
i had much hope for this thread when i entered... lol...

that's pretty bad - hope it gets taken care of!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Title of this thread tells me it's gonna get a lot of hits._.

That's bad, but you're lucky as well that the tail lights were missed.

Does look like you can get away with only a hatch replacement and bumper cover. Bet that woke you up_

Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
i had much hope for this thread when i entered... lol...
Me, too

how fast were you going? that's a lot of damage for just backin into each other. Are the Fits this fragile????
Glad no one was hurt

Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Yeah that thread title threw me off too.

I agree with sooznd. that's a lot of damage for just a backing into. Sorry to hear that for you. Maybe whoever repairs it will have a quick turn-around. When mine was hit in May, it took the shop a week but the car looks new again! I just got around to waxing her this past weekend.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
I decided to remove my rear headrests, since they were blocking a good percentage of my rear view + hopefully I'll avoid accidents such as this.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ouch. hope you get that fixed soon. glad to hear noone was hurt though.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
glad you're safe bro. I hope you're neighbor was hot...

Old 07-22-2010, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jensen Healy
I decided to remove my rear headrests, since they were blocking a good percentage of my rear view + hopefully I'll avoid accidents such as this.
Sure blame it on the headrests.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Its a lot of damage for only goin about 10 mph or less. she was going about 10 also. the tail light is damaged, i hoping the hatch or light didnt get push into the frame and tweaked it.

I should looked both ways, it just one the one time i didnt.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 PM
So where are the pics of this neighbor who got banged? I want my five minutes back dammit! Your hatch looks slightly worse than mine and mine absorbed a full size chevy going about thirty five or so. I'm glad it was the front of his truck that hit me seeing what happened to yours.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Man the fit is designed to crumble when hit. I had someone hit my passenger fender in the middle of the night. Ended up being about 2k worth of damage and crinkled the hood.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by kona_fit
I was going to follow my mom down to the shop to drop her car off. Backing out of my driveway and boom. i was looking right and she was looking left. both of us weren't paying attention. Her truck was fine, bent bumper, cracked tail light and creased bed fender. Now my family is down two cars, but i still got my bike to get around.
Ouwh dude, that sucks so bad. Get the cf hatch, i think it looks great on silver fits creates that contrast.

On the upside, if the "girl next door" is "the girl next door" maybe you could ask her to drive you around in that truck of her .

But if shes an old tranny then BL for you bro. LOL

Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM
haha she is older and married, i think. Yeah it would be sick with a cf hatch. not sure how i would go about doing that, tell the insurance im fixing myself or something?

Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 AM
Hmmm... Im not sure how hey.. But theoretically i would think it would be something like this.

You either call them up and say that you want to claim from an incident, then they'd want to repair your damaged goods with another stock parts, but i guess just give it a go and ask if you'd like to change the hatch into a carbon fibre hatch instead of stock? Tell them you'll pay for the extras of the cost of the cf hatch compared to the stock, but before that look around for the price of the normal hatch part (2nd hand or new) because you don't want to get ripped off by the insurance company. If this is too much hassle then.. just get your car fixed first, then mod it afterwards.

But then again... I'm a simpleton and i don't know if it's going to be that easy, or if your insurance will want to do complicated custom repair like this. Chances are slim but slim is better then none

Don't give up before you try right? hahaha Goodluck bro!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:26 AM
yeah, taking it down tomorrow to get it estimate. i not sure if the hatch went into the frame or not.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:38 PM
took the car in today to get a estimate. found out the hatch was pushed into the frame and bent it in. got a estimate for repair, 7200. that a hell of a lot of money. i dont even think the car is worth that much anymore.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:51 AM
ooh and your safety expire this month too...
yeah when i got my hit and run it didnt even touch the hatch, only had it 3mos and tinted the car the day before, would you believe this is 3600$ damage?

Quick Reply: Banged the neighbor