1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

New Jazz owner from England, needs opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 AM
New Jazz owner from England, needs opinions

Hello, I'm about to purchase a European Jazz 1.2 S DSI in Alabaster Silver.
Now I'm not looking to fully mod the car but one of my main gripes is Steel Wheels.
So I will be purchasing some Alloy Wheels.
Now what colour seems to suit the Silver most ?
Also window tinting.
UK laws say that there are no restrictions on the back windows.
But the windscreen has to let 75% of the light through and driver/passenger windows have to let 70%. So does anybody know what % Jazz windows are tinted out if the factory ?
Also what looks best all windows ? Just back windows ?
And last one what are the best wind deflectors ?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Officer M168
Hello, I'm about to purchase a European Jazz 1.2 S DSI in Alabaster Silver.
Now I'm not looking to fully mod the car but one of my main gripes is Steel Wheels.
So I will be purchasing some Alloy Wheels.
Now what colour seems to suit the Silver most ?
Also window tinting.
UK laws say that there are no restrictions on the back windows.
But the windscreen has to let 75% of the light through and driver/passenger windows have to let 70%. So does anybody know what % Jazz windows are tinted out if the factory ?
Also what looks best all windows ? Just back windows ?
And last one what are the best wind deflectors ?
White wheels go very well with silver but are a bugger to keep clean - stay away from them if brake dust obsession is not your thing. Funny enough silver Jazzes look quite good with silver or gunmetal wheels.

Regarding tint: that seems pretty high. Your best bet is something like 3M Crystalline 70 or V-Kool 70 as those are pretty transparent, but the thing with glass is it already cuts visible light transmittance to 70% despite apprearing transparent. The next step darker is 40% visible light transmittance.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I have the sun gradient tint on my GD1 Jazz.. It looks nice with silver metallic, but then again the car came like that, so it wasnt really my choice. But i dont mind the look ahaha. I'd personally go with a plain black tint though, and % wise is up to you, whatever makes you comfortable riding your "babe" 75% is BLOODY BLACK...LOL go somewhere around 30% i think its more then enough.

For alloys, I'd go with a black or gunmetal grey alloys.. again it depends what alloy you are actually getting.. different alloys look better with different colors. Atm i got a 17" Advanti Silver dish (cant think of the specific name right now) and it looks pretty sweet. My suggestion is if you go dish, stay with a brighter dish color and if you're going for non-dish alloys, go with a darker color. MGM-gunmetal grey and black is best.
Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks. When I mean 75% I mean that's how much sunlight has to go through. So it equates to a 15% tint.
But thanks for the replies.
I've been looking through the forum and I quite like the footwells being lit up.
Is this an easy mod ?
What is the main colour of the lights on the dashboard ?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. When I mean 75% I mean that's how much sunlight has to go through. So it equates to a 15% tint.
But thanks for the replies.
I've been looking through the forum and I quite like the footwells being lit up.
Is this an easy mod ?
What is the main colour of the lights on the dashboard ?
Tint films are usually rated by that score. Transparent tints as mentioned are 70% visible light transmittance, and the lower you go (40%, 35%, 20%, 10%, 5%) the darker it gets. 3M's Black Chrome series is a good example. Mine is BC35, their 35% tint, and they've got BC20 and BC10 for people who like it darker.

Adding footwell lighting is quite easy, if you don't mind working within cramped footwells. We've got a thread for that made by jlor, just do a search in the DIY forum. Using that thread, I added mine in 30 minutes and I'm no electrician. Admittedly it could've gone faster if my CCFL kit had longer wiring. Two years on it's still working like a charm.

My gauge cluster has amber lighting, while my audio head unit has blue OEL lighting. I used white for my footwell lighting simply because of the functionality of looking for dropped objects at night - aesthetics were a distant second consideration.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Here we go, 2 very easy modifications done today.
Now my car was sold as Alabaster Silver, but the colour code on the Stamp under the bonnet comes up as storm grey.
So i got a mixture done from Englands finest Automotive Shop Halfords
and got a can mixed using the code on the vehicle stamp.
It came out a lot darker then the car but makes the manifold cover 10 times better.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Welcome to FF's OfficerM168, your Jazz is looking good. Like the engine cover.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
i will say that is a nice little mod. clean and subtle. me likes

oh, and welcome to fitfreak!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member
looks like Alabaster Silver to me...anyway, I'm going with gun metal gray wheels on mine. Also have a 35% tint. Max I'd go if there were no restrictions is probably 20%.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
As far as I am aware some models of the the European Jazz comes factory shipped with windows at close to 70% transmittance. Some models of the Japanese Fit can have much darker windows than that. I am not sure but I don't think you can legally add any kind of film to the European Jazz front passenger windows. However to be absolutely sure you can take it to a window tinting place and get it measured and they will tell you if a clear film can be added or not. Clear films typically cut out 20% of the light so can only be added to a window with 90% transmittance.

Kind Regards

Chris

Old 10-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks, as far as I'm away it does seem to be the norm for all European cars to have the front windows tinted straight from the factory.
My 1995 VW POLO was !

Just thinking what else I can do now cheaply.
The alloys will have to wait.

I'm looking for a handsfree car kit. Are the Parrott systems compatible with the jazz ?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
You can purchase a do it yourself kit with pre cut window film for the back and rear windows.

Not sure about the UK but you can order pre cut film here.

Car Window Tinting at SnapTint.com

Window Tinting at SnapTint.com

Regarding the front windows you will need someone to check the transmittance with a special meter before buying film as tinting laws are strict in the UK

Kind Regards

Chris

Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 PM
5 Year Member

I'm looking for a handsfree car kit. Are the Parrott systems compatible with the jazz ?
Yes, I've got the Mki9200

Old 10-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by gynosis
Yes, I've got the Mki9200
Does it require anything additional or is it a case of buy it and install it.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member
Does it require anything additional or is it a case of buy it and install it.
buy and install, its that simple

Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
I'm liking the manifold cover. Can't believe how clean it looks. Looks like it was molded that color

Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Originally Posted by gynosis
buy and install, its that simple
Sorry just trying to read up the Parrrot. So no additional ISO harness is required.
I can basically buy the system and install it without having to go and buy extra leads for the back of the radio.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry just trying to read up the Parrrot. So no additional ISO harness is required.
I can basically buy the system and install it without having to go and buy extra leads for the back of the radio.
You will need to buy an additional harness if you plan on installing it yourself, I had a shop install mine and they supplied the harness and did all the dirty work.

P.S if you run splits get an RCA noise reducer as I experienced interference from the Parrot system after installing splits.