1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

DIY A/T fluid and filter, with pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
That filter looks somewhat like the fuel filter. Nice write up. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by codenamezero
That filter looks somewhat like the fuel filter. Nice write up. Thanks for the info.
sure does!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
well... proof it is a filter!
It is pretty clean so replacing it at 30k was a waste of $.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Question

This is a great write up for sure, great pics and very complete but my question is this, why in the world would Honda NOT want you to change this out or more importantly, why would THEY not want to change it out

Either way, does the GE use the same tranny by chance?

Old 03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Klasse Act
This is a great write up for sure, great pics and very complete but my question is this, why in the world would Honda NOT want you to change this out or more importantly, why would THEY not want to change it out
I know Honda wants it changed. If they didn't, they wouldn't make it a serviceable part, and you wouldn't be able to buy a replacement!

I think the problem is with the dealers. As far as I know, the Honda guys aren't used to changing transmission filters, especially ones that are located where this one is, and so they assume that ALL Hondas lack a transmission filter. I wish I could tell you how many mechanics and parts counter people assured me there was NO filter on my car. I think I stopped counting at six or seven.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Warning! ATF gush out like crazy, makes sure you have a huge bucket lol... i just got owned, i used my engine oil draining tray + container, and the damn thing came out so fast, and now is all over the floor.................... *SIGH*

Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
remove the intake and battery for this? thats pretty hardcore. Going to do it!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
didn't touch the battery nor intake. but i had to use a small funnel, need to sneak the small funnel from the bottom. then use a longer funnel (my long funnel alone was missing the hole by 1") from the top.

took me quite some time to break loose the transmission drain bolt, damn thing was super tight, and since i can only jack the car up so much, i didn't have enough leverage to loosen it. end up using a huge 23mm wrench, somehow connected it to my 3/4 socket and barely broke it loose.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by airwicc
remove the intake and battery for this? thats pretty hardcore. Going to do it!
It's an extra 10 to 15 minutes to remove all of that stuff, and it makes access to the filter SO much easier. Honestly, I don't see how you could even get to the filter with all of that stuff there. Plus, you get to inspect and clean your throttle body just like every good boy and girl should.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KyleB
Plus, you get to inspect and clean your throttle body just like every good boy and girl should.
funnel FTW, but it wasn't long enough, which is why i sneak in another smaller funnel down there. and it works without removing a single thing in the engine bay. did not replace the transmission filter though.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by codenamezero
did not replace the transmission filter though.
Nice funnel!!! I mainly started this thread to show how to change out the a/t filter since the fluid change process is pretty self explanatory.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
I can't wait to get home and check to see if the m/t in the ge8 have one. also KyleB are you coming out to the meet this weekend?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by swflej1
I can't wait to get home and check to see if the m/t in the ge8 have one. also KyleB are you coming out to the meet this weekend?
I will be at a meet this weekend, but it's going to be at Eurotreffen in the BMW. I didn't know about any meets in the area here for Honda owners. Can you post a link or info? Maybe I can make it out next time.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
So the tranny itself doesn't have a filter but the return line does? That's probably why all the parts guys say it doesn't have one. Thanks for the write up. I'm about to do mine. Is the ge8 filter the same? My tranny seems to stall. Maybe fresh fluid will help. 32k mi on the clock

Last edited by fitit2010; 04-14-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by fitit2010
So the tranny itself doesn't have a filter but the return line does? That's probably why all the parts guys say it doesn't have one. Thanks for the write up. I'm about to do mine. Is the ge8 filter the same? My tranny seems to stall. Maybe fresh fluid will help. 32k mi on the clock
Exactly. From what I see, there is no filter where you would typically see it, i.e. down in the transmission pan. This small filter is placed inline with the AT lines. Looks to me like the engineers at Honda came to the conclusion that this transmission would benefit from a filter, but a redesign of the transmission case was out of the question.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitit2010
actually, that filter, you can probably add that to any honda automatic transmission, is basically just an inline filter. i wonder if i could use it in a manual transmission.

btw, my Fit had 81k km on it, i don't think the previous owner ever changed the oil at all... it was quite brown when it come out. i could definitely tell the difference when driving. almost half way into my first tank of gas now, "seems" to be better mpg so far, will see...

Old 04-15-2011, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KyleB
I will be at a meet this weekend, but it's going to be at Eurotreffen in the BMW. I didn't know about any meets in the area here for Honda owners. Can you post a link or info? Maybe I can make it out next time.
You've been PM

Old 07-03-2011, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

May I ask "rocksnap" to post a few images of the hose(s) and fill plug described? I'm going to switch from ATF-Z1 to ATF-DW1 and the ability to drain-and-fill the entire transmission when using a different fluid is important.

Also, I don't want to disconnect the wrong hose and have an unexpected catastrophe!

Thanks.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
hose

Originally Posted by GC617289
May I ask "rocksnap" to post a few images of the hose(s) and fill plug described? I'm going to switch from ATF-Z1 to ATF-DW1 and the ability to drain-and-fill the entire transmission when using a different fluid is important.

Also, I don't want to disconnect the wrong hose and have an unexpected catastrophe!

Thanks.
The hydraulic hoses are on the bottom back of the radiator. Small lines unlike the large coolant hoses. I believe the right one (looking forward from behind) is the "hot" line, left would be return. You know it will be the correct hose when your helper starts the car and tranny fluid comes out...

The fill plug is also easy to find. Standing at the drivers quarter panel, look behind the engine, you will see the flat top of the tranny. There is a large bolt head, may have some yellow on/around it. Been a while and I am going by memory here... I think there may have been two bolt heads there but it would be the larger of the two. You will need a long socket/extension to reach it. Its only a fill plug, take it out and you are looking at the tranny reservoir.

You can run the engine with the plug out, no problem. I had a long neck funnel sticking into it for my refill. I swapped out my fluid 1 quart at a time with Amsoil with no issue. With a little luck you won't spill a drop!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Great job! Thanks for sharing!!

Quick Reply: DIY A/T fluid and filter, with pics