1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Anyone use one of THESE on a Fit...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Anyone use one of THESE on a Fit...

I posted this before, but I can't seem to find any info on one of these hooked up to a Fit. Anyone tried it? I am taking a long trip soon and am trying to find any information I can on these rear mounted cargo holders and their compatibility with the Fit.

Last edited by robotfist; 04-22-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 PM
I have been thinking about getting one of these, would also like to know any experience anyone has had with them.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have a roof rack already? If not I would probably go in that direction instead.

1) A yakima or thule roof rack system with the cage or cargo container attachment would carry just as much or more than the hitch mount.

2) Having even a nominal amount of weight on your rear end
"could" cause significant loss of traction and steering control due to the fact that this vehicle is front wheel drive.

Cargo carriers: Thule cartop cargo boxes, rooftop safari racks, Yakima luggage box, Stowaway2 hitch cargo carriers & Roof Bags

Old 04-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by vinnymac
2) Having even a nominal amount of weight on your rear end
"could" cause significant loss of traction and steering control due to the fact that this vehicle is front wheel drive.
I had not thought of that. Thanks for the feedback.

I really don't plan on putting anything significantly heavy back there, just light weight suitcases and a tent. I was planning on going the roof rack route until I discovered some threads about the ridiculous loss of gas mileage. Some people lose so much in gas mileage that they might as well be driving a CRV. I figured the rear basket would help with gas mileage since it won't be reducing the air flow significantly.

But then again, I have no idea. I wish I could find someone online that has experience with one of them.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 AM
5 Year Member
Exclamation

I wouldn't recommend the configuration for a Fit.

(1) The car's too small (added weight), too low (ground clearance/angle of approach), too light (stability) and front wheel drive (steering/handling/traction issues). Consider the weight distribution as Vinny mentioned. You'll have stability issues.

(2) Gas mileage - you lose either way. If you can't stuff everything inside the car, use a roof rack config. - basket for odd shapes or hard shell (like Yakima or Thule) for protection and aerodynamics. Handling and stability will still be affected but not as bad as having a hitch basket. Either way, just with the added weight, you lose mileage.

(3) Safest and most stable would be to keep everything inside the car.

And no, I wouldn't do this to my Fit. But I've pulled trailers and have used roof carriers (Yakima Space Cadet) before on bigger vehicles.

Wrong car for the purpose. But you should have enough room inside with the seats folded though. I think the Fit has one of the most versatile configs. inside. Good luck!

Last edited by Subie; 04-25-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
I think it depends on the amount of weight you want to put on it. I have the tow hitch installed on my fit and use it for a bike rack in a similar configuration. I chose that option mostly for convenience. It is easy to take off and put on, and I don't have to get anything on or off the roof. It should make some difference in aerodynamics, but that IMO wouldn't be a deciding factor.

My tow hitch docs said that it is good for 200 lbs tongue weight, so as long as you are under that (rack + luggage) I don't see why it would be a problem. My bikes have not caused any steering/handling/traction issues, but then again I am not driving over 75 mph when they are attached either. If you are going the speed limit I sincerely doubt there will be any issues.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
I have a cargo carrier/tray in the back of my hitch that I used once when moving. It works well and as long as your shocks can handle it it will be fine. I have the gas shocks that others have so it works out well.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
I was just talking to my wife about one of these types of carriers for our Forester.. I think it would be great on a Fit if not over ladened with too much weight... It's a breeze to install air shocks, I have Monroe MA81s on mine.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
I'm planning on using one on my Fit for a similar reason- tents, cooler, maybe a couple of bundles of firewood. My local Lowe's has them for $75. They are not as pretty as a Thule, but cost a lot less.

I can't fit my Daughter, Dog and camping gear in the car.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ztyhurst
I think it depends on the amount of weight you want to put on it. I have the tow hitch installed on my fit and use it for a bike rack in a similar configuration. I chose that option mostly for convenience. It is easy to take off and put on, and I don't have to get anything on or off the roof. It should make some difference in aerodynamics, but that IMO wouldn't be a deciding factor.
I also have a hitch and use for a rear bike rack. I had a 35 lb bike on the rack and drove 4500 miles on a cross country trip last summer. My mpg was in the high 30's. I don't know if a roof mount would be more or less aerodynamic. I have read of mpg suffering a bit with roof boxes.

If you don't carry much more than 200 lbs, you should be fine.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
As long as you load your heavier items as far in front of your rear axle and as low as possible and carry your lightest items on the hitch carrier the same way it will work well... Get some air shocks and read Manxman's DIY on how to do the installation to prevent bottoming out the carrier and to keep your headlights level...Air shocks cost about $ 65.00 and are easy to install.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Air shocks necessary?

My plan is to put my two largest suitcases filled with clothing in the hitch basket, each being about 50 lbs a piece, fully loaded. The basket itself is aluminum and weighs 30 lbs. So there will be about 130 lbs of weight on the hitch mount.

On the inside, the heaviest things will be two large coolers filled with ice, which I will stick in the middle of the car behind the two front seats. I have no idea how much those will weigh. The front seats of the car will be carrying two passengers (155lbs and 115 lbs) for a total weight of 270 lbs.

The rest of the interior of the car will be carrying lightweight (but expensive) camera equipment, tents, and foam bedding all of which weigh very, very little.

Do you think air shocks are really needed for this particular setup?

Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
You will know you have the extra weight back there by the way the car handles, rides and sits but you should not have any problems once you are used to the way it feels... Your headlights are going to be aimed a little high and that will have people flashing their bright lights at you.. That will probably be annoying, but they will get over it.... Have a nice time and post some pictures for us to see if you don't mind.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
If that's all you're carrying, I would go for the roof rack option with either a basket or hard shell config. instead. A bit taller but to me would be lesser concern with handling and headlight projection. Good luck!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Subie
If that's all you're carrying, I would go for the roof rack option with either a basket or hard shell config. instead. A bit taller but to me would be lesser concern with handling and headlight projection. Good luck!
I was 5 minutes away from pulling the trigger and buying an entire roof rack setup until I read the all info on how roof racks destroy gas mileage to an unbelievable degree. That turned me away from that as an option. I am going to give this rear hitch thing a whirl and see what happens. It's not much of an investment. It's $90 for the rear basket and $90 for the hitch, so if it doesn't work out it's not that big of deal. It certainly won't be the financial hit I would take if I had to spend $1k on a roof rack, rails, and streamlined cargo container (not including the amount of money lost in gas).

Old 05-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I have a hitch on my FIT and have pulled 500 pounds behind it like it wasn't even there. On the other hand the tongue weight was only 15 pounds. I would be a little cautious how much weight you put back there because of the FWD nature of the car but not worried about it. Just an awareness of what you are doing to your car. I got the hitch for a little over $100 online and installed it in about 20 minutes. I think I would build a stiffer suspension before I put anything heavier than 300 lbs behind the rear axle for a trip.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:46 PM
It's all in the tongue weight and how the hitch attaches to the car. With the Fit it's going into sheet metal for the most park. Curt makes a nice three point hitch for the Fit.

Trailer Hitches, Heavy Duty Hitch, & Towing Accessories Made in America by CURT Manufacturing.

I wouldn't use anything less if you're considering that setup. IMO the Fit is just too light a car for it, however.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like a person in this thread (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...bike-rack.html) is using one. I asked them some info about it. I really want to get a cargo basket for my fit as well. They mention that the hot exhaust is a problem, and that they use a piece of wood as a shield.

Hope they reply!

Old 05-31-2013, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Old 06-01-2013, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
A great place to put the wife so she does not see the mistress in the front seat.

Ah the joy of having the Caravan for trips. Open the rear and just toss in. No need to fiddle with how to make everything fit. If the sink were not bolted down the wife would take that along as well.

I use to be embarrassed when loading up the luggage cart at hotels until I seen other older couples that bring as much if not more shit than we do.

Only the third row folded.

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 1287
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  May2013002.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  61.4 KB

Quick Reply: Anyone use one of THESE on a Fit...