1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

PROBLEM with installing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 01:10 AM
PROBLEM with installing Coilovers

Working on the fronts and on the passengers side, I can't seem to get the coils to bolt onto the top part where the engine is. Everything is connected but the top part. Knuckle is bolted in and so is the end-links. Looks like the rotor has positive camber for some reason, and because of this reason I can't push the coil itself to line up correctly.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n1njai
Working on the fronts and on the passengers side, I can't seem to get the coils to bolt onto the top part where the engine is. Everything is connected but the top part. Knuckle is bolted in and so is the end-links. Looks like the rotor has positive camber for some reason, and because of this reason I can't push the coil itself to line up correctly.
Can you share a few pics? What brand are they? Is only the front passenger side not fitting, and all the others are installed?

Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 AM
They are function and forms type 2s for the GD3, and it is only the passenger side, I haven't tried to install the other sides yet. I will post up pictures in a bit.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:31 AM

Old 10-29-2011, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
If you have help-I hope you do- to put the shock back in I pulled out the hub, push down on the control arm and slid the axle back up and I put the top screw(engine bay) on first -loosely-. Once everything is lined up, tighten bolt up top in the engine bay (14mm to 36 ft/lbs.) and the rest is the opposite of removal (slide the axle back in and tighten the hub to control arm nut (61ft/lbs.), fork to control arm nut (17mm to 47 ft/lbs.), and axle hub nut (32mm to 134 ft/lbs.)

I think I may have installed mine opposite the way you have, but this is the way I've always installed them.

Hope this helps you a bit..

Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 AM
I tried that and the problem is everything wont line up, or everything but the top screw to the knuckle, from the pics given it was my first attempt at installing the coils, my 2nd attempt i pulled it all out and put the top nut *engine bay* in first and then attempted to line everything up. IDK what it is, but the rotor looks like it has positive camber and just won't let me push it in any further so the top bolt for the knuckle to go in.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
Wow! I don't know what else I can help you with without being there. These are the right coil-overs specified for your Fit/year...right?

Old 10-29-2011, 02:12 AM
Should be, I bought them off another member on here. I don't understand why it was so easy to remove, took me like 15 minutes maybe to take everything off, and then all of a sudden i can't put on that single top bolt and it's been about 3 hours now and I still can't figure it out. Such a fail on my end.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Here's what I'm trying to show you, this is the method you recommended me and how I first did it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 10-29-2011, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
From this pic it looks like you're very close. Did you try to put a jack under the hub and lift it. You're only a few cm off, try jacking the hub.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:51 AM
The jack method did not work, I attempted this plenty of times. If anyone is located in Orange County, and would love to provide any help, please do. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
I hope someone will chime in and throw you a few tips or help you in some way. I know you cannot be feeling too good about this already..

Old 10-29-2011, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
have you tried putting the original back in? just to see if that goes back in.

what I would suggest is, mount the bottom to the knuckle, then lift it up (use a jack to make it easier) while pointing the top part as far towards the mounting hole as possible. PUSH IT, don't worry about bending it... it should take a LOT more force than you or I can muster to bend the strut.

if the top of the strut hits sheet metal... keep going. cause from the sounds of it, the strut is fully extended (more than the OE strut)... and that could be causing the issue. And the strut could be fully extended because of the spring.

depending on how easy it is to move that adjustable "nut" for the spring, try lowering it all the way to see if you can get it to line up, then adjust the nut back up when you're done.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by n1njai
I tried that and the problem is everything wont line up, or everything but the top screw to the knuckle, from the pics given it was my first attempt at installing the coils, my 2nd attempt i pulled it all out and put the top nut *engine bay* in first and then attempted to line everything up. IDK what it is, but the rotor looks like it has positive camber and just won't let me push it in any further so the top bolt for the knuckle to go in.
sounds like your axle popped out. did you support the hub before removing the strut? this could be the reason things aren't lining up properly. get the strut back off and work on getting the axle back in right.

easiest way to line up the axle knuckles is to have a friend turn the steering wheel left to right while you work the hub around till everything is lined up again. good luck!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:50 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
^ Yea what he said.

Do not try to jack it up, it won't line up without you first getting the axle back in.

Work on getting the axle worked back in and the rest will line up. It popped out because you didn't support the hub after you disconnected the strut - it just dropped and pulled the axle.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Sounds about right, thanks a lot guys, would i be able to feel the axle pop right on in?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
jeez. ive heard you have to buy something if your axle pops out. search the forum

Old 10-29-2011, 02:31 PM
I kept searching through the forums and all I had to do was just open up the cv boot and it worked out well, you can clearly see the axle was way out and I just ended up putting it back in. Taking off those clamps is such a pain in the ass though, any tips on getting them off faster?

Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 PM
5 Year Member
Excellent, seems like you searching the forums told you exactly what GD3 Wagon and doctordoom suggested...
Good thing about this forum there is a plethora of knowledge and wisdom here..
Good luck with the rest of your install, we will be waiting to see pics when you're done

Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Have yet another issue...when the car is put into drive or reverse the car wont move. The brakes seem to always be engaged even though the handbrake is down. What do u guys think the issue could be? Could the axles be the cause?

Quick Reply: PROBLEM with installing Coilovers