1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Why not hid's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Why not hid's?

I was reading a lot of post in here and I see most of you guys dont like hid kits, only retrofit. Why?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Retrofits produce a better, straighter beam of light. I run HIDS in my stock housings though, with no problems. it makes a huge difference. Deffinently brighter than stock. and If aimed properly, they wont blind other drivers.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
headlight housings weren't made for HID's beam pattern can blind oncoming traffic. I hate getting smashed by cars running HID's in halogen housings. Gotta retrofit and adjust.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 AM
5 Year Member
Read this at Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply, about why not to use HID.
-Rod

Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM
People in the UK are kicking up a fuss about how bright they are

Old 03-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
It amazes me that people still think "I re-aimed my headlights so my plug-n-play HIDs don't blind other drivers."

It simply doesn't work like that.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
its funny when people say i aimed my headlights down. So not only are you blinding people with your PnP HID kit but you have also made your headlights less useful by aiming the light down? Good job buddy, should have just saved the money and stuck with OEM bulbs.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
The problem with many aftermarket HID kits (besides the incompatible reflector issue) is that the bulbs do not have the proper masking even though they phisically fit the sockets. Thus, the OE sharp cut-off of light goes missing...and that is what annoys the oncoming drivers.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by MNfit
its funny when people say i aimed my headlights down. So not only are you blinding people with your PnP HID kit but you have also made your headlights less useful by aiming the light down? Good job buddy, should have just saved the money and stuck with OEM bulbs.
Mine being done exactly as you described turned out perfect! I have tested them by having my wife drive at me and behind me while i'm in another vehicle. They only blind if some douche has their brights on, then they see what brights really look like I definitely get the article posted by rodpain. The first thing I noticed after installing my HIDs was that things looked a little different and sometimes my eyes didn't correctly identify parts of my surroundings under the glow of 6k.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM
Can you do a full re-fit of HIDs correctly or is a refit the only option?

Old 04-06-2012, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smithbrother88
Mine being done exactly as you described turned out perfect! I have tested them by having my wife drive at me and behind me while i'm in another vehicle. They only blind if some douche has their brights on, then they see what brights really look like I definitely get the article posted by rodpain. The first thing I noticed after installing my HIDs was that things looked a little different and sometimes my eyes didn't correctly identify parts of my surroundings under the glow of 6k.
FAIL.

Don't claim your hids don't blind oncoming traffic because you "aimed it properly", or "my hid kit is the ones with the glare reducing/eliminating cover", same blinding hids with the naive illusion of these kits are safer and less blinding.

I have only seen one type of housing that nearly has little to no glare with a pnp hid kit, the 2003-2008 honda accord headlights.

even the previous gen toyota prius with their hid specific reflector bowls still caused tremendous glare.

The fit's headlight housing is very large and circular/rounded square (gd/ge), They bounce light everywhere when you don't use the proper halogen type bulbs specifically for the reflector bowls engineered to use them (non-hid type bowls).

Your eyes not being able to adjust to the 6k glow is just that, glow not real usable light. the bluer the hue of light the harder the eyes strain to see. You need a kelvin rating of 4100k- 4300k (closest color to the sun's daylight) to effectively balance brightness and color to see well in when the lights illuminate the road.

If you still think your hids are glare free, park your car next to a white wall or building side at night when it's dark, make sure you are 8-10 feet away with the wall facing either sides of your car, left or right doesn't matter long as you're parked parallel to the wall. Turn on your headlights and you will see a mound of light shooting on wall that is on the side of your car at least 8ft high.

If your side beam is this bad imagine how bad your forward beam is. Don't deny it you know it's bad, you'll then remove your pnp hit kit or you will go along denying the fact you are blinding everyone within a 165 degree radius and couple miles in distance and you will just leave the hid as is.

You have to pay to play. Get your headlights retrofitted with projectors or you can dyi with a package from here The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

One more thing, don't make claims without proof. We all know, everyone that has driven in front of a car with pnp hids know how awful they are when it comes to glare. Pointing your headlight beam down does nothing about the glare, in most cases makes glare worse (hid bulb tilts down, reflects on bottom of reflector bowl and glare scattered up).

Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by rodpaine
Read this at Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply, about why not to use HID.
-Rod
Nice Link. The Autocar video sums it up pretty nicely.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by JJIN
FAIL.

Don't claim your hids don't blind oncoming traffic because you "aimed it properly", or "my hid kit is the ones with the glare reducing/eliminating cover", same blinding hids with the naive illusion of these kits are safer and less blinding.

I have only seen one type of housing that nearly has little to no glare with a pnp hid kit, the 2003-2008 honda accord headlights.

even the previous gen toyota prius with their hid specific reflector bowls still caused tremendous glare.

The fit's headlight housing is very large and circular/rounded square (gd/ge), They bounce light everywhere when you don't use the proper halogen type bulbs specifically for the reflector bowls engineered to use them (non-hid type bowls).

Your eyes not being able to adjust to the 6k glow is just that, glow not real usable light. the bluer the hue of light the harder the eyes strain to see. You need a kelvin rating of 4100k- 4300k (closest color to the sun's daylight) to effectively balance brightness and color to see well in when the lights illuminate the road.

If you still think your hids are glare free, park your car next to a white wall or building side at night when it's dark, make sure you are 8-10 feet away with the wall facing either sides of your car, left or right doesn't matter long as you're parked parallel to the wall. Turn on your headlights and you will see a mound of light shooting on wall that is on the side of your car at least 8ft high.

If your side beam is this bad imagine how bad your forward beam is. Don't deny it you know it's bad, you'll then remove your pnp hit kit or you will go along denying the fact you are blinding everyone within a 165 degree radius and couple miles in distance and you will just leave the hid as is.

You have to pay to play. Get your headlights retrofitted with projectors or you can dyi with a package from here The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

One more thing, don't make claims without proof. We all know, everyone that has driven in front of a car with pnp hids know how awful they are when it comes to glare. Pointing your headlight beam down does nothing about the glare, in most cases makes glare worse (hid bulb tilts down, reflects on bottom of reflector bowl and glare scattered up).
I promise you bud that I have checked my glare extensively and it is, for the most part, without any. As I have many times been infuriated by the same thing, I made sure not to have it! As it turns out, the light does not even touch the bottom half of the reflective bowl. I do not understand how you figure there is glare coming from the side. Seeing as the bowl is in fact a semi-sphere, it actually emits zero light from the sides! As for proof? On a forum in a debate about something as more perceptive than factual, I'm afraid I feel no need to provide proof of any kind to you. I know, and that's all that matters. I'm pretty sure my fellow drivers would alert me of my wrong doings, if any, because I do live in a highly populated and very opinionated area! Thank you and good day!

Last edited by smithbrother88; 04-07-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
whatever makes you feel better

Old 04-07-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm not worried about it

Old 04-07-2012, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smithbrother88
I promise you bud that I have checked my glare extensively and it is, for the most part, without any. As I have many times been infuriated by the same thing, I made sure not to have it! As it turns out, the light does not even touch the bottom half of the reflective bowl. I do not understand how you figure there is glare coming from the side. Seeing as the bowl is in fact a semi-sphere, it actually emits zero light from the sides! As for proof? On a forum in a debate about something as more perceptive than factual, I'm afraid I feel no need to provide proof of any kind to you. I know, and that's all that matters. I'm pretty sure my fellow drivers would alert me of my wrong doings, if any, because I do live in a highly populated and very opinionated area! Thank you and good day!
Just because you live in a gated community that is regulated by the home owners association doesn't mean anything.

you still are denial. I'm over this, tired of persuading pnp hit kit righteous people.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:53 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Yea, you can lead a horse to water...

Old 04-13-2012, 07:31 AM
lol I defiantly don't live in a gated community. I live in the "Hood" lol Got the only honda for miles lmao

Old 04-13-2012, 07:33 AM
And I get what your sayin jjin. And I understand why retrofit is better. I'm only stating my pnp kit is not near as bad as some others I have seen around on every other 500 dollar honda. Personally I don't like the look of a retrofit. It's a shame I can't seem to find too many aftermarket assemblies anywhere. I've only seen about 5 diff styles and I don't like any of em. Any idea where to find em?

Last edited by smithbrother88; 04-13-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I guess what my question would be, if not to spend the large amount of money on proper HIDs what would be the ideal solution to a person who wanted better vision from their headlights?

Quick Reply: Why not hid's?