1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

NOOB WARNING: troubled engine hiccup (dont think its the coilpacks)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Nice, way to spend the time to figure it out! I know your not supposed to fix cars by replacing common failure parts, but 9 times out of 10, it is the common failure part thats the problem, i.e., EGR, injectors, carbon build up etc are rarely the problem on all makes of cars. Especially when chasing a problem that doesn't give you a CEL.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Too late but

Too late for you but same problem 2007 base FIT, dealer replaced all coil packs under a TSB no charge. (didn't fix the problem, valve adjust fixed it).

Old 10-10-2012, 07:56 PM
ah. ill know for next time. thanks

after i found the one dead coil and replaced it, it took about 3 months for another to go out so i went ahead and replaced all of them.

i also wrapped them in reflective metal tape and built a heat shield for them. if they go again, i now know that i can just take it to the dealer for a free fix up. thanks again!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by derek_fc
ah. ill know for next time. thanks

after i found the one dead coil and replaced it, it took about 3 months for another to go out so i went ahead and replaced all of them.

i also wrapped them in reflective metal tape and built a heat shield for them. if they go again, i now know that i can just take it to the dealer for a free fix up. thanks again!

Coil packs don't fail from radiated heat but from heat soak if temp is high enough so the reflective tape doesn't do much.
Worse, 90% of the time coil packs from operation not the underhood tempwerature. Just remember coil packs don't last typically longer than 50k miles. Just like filters, spark plugs and tires; they are replaceable items by the owner.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Hi problems here too haha. I've had misfires for two months now. Took it to a few mechanics including Honda. I've had new spark plugs installed, new coil packs, valve adjustment done, fuel induction done, they did an engine compression test (was fine), fuel sample (nothing wrong), so then they wanted to do the fuel injectors. It was expensive so I decided to tackle that. Got OE beck arnley reman injectors and installed them. Was running fine for about 30 min than I decided to fill up and added an injector cleaner. Well then the misfires started again. Maybe I missed a step..? I dunno.. Spent lots of time on everything than money on the same stuff I've done and now I'm tapping out. Help please. Thanks! Ps. 2007 honda fit sport MT with 166k miles. This is the guide I found http://www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A...801KBAT00.HTML

Old 03-23-2014, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by makufit
Hi problems here too haha. I've had misfires for two months now. Took it to a few mechanics including Honda. I've had new spark plugs installed, new coil packs, valve adjustment done, fuel induction done, they did an engine compression test (was fine), fuel sample (nothing wrong), so then they wanted to do the fuel injectors. It was expensive so I decided to tackle that. Got OE beck arnley reman injectors and installed them. Was running fine for about 30 min than I decided to fill up and added an injector cleaner. Well then the misfires started again. Maybe I missed a step..? I dunno.. Spent lots of time on everything than money on the same stuff I've done and now I'm tapping out. Help please. Thanks! Ps. 2007 honda fit sport MT with 166k miles. This is the guide I found Fuel Injector Replacement (L12A/L13A without ETCS)
Have you traded coil packs and spark plugs to see if misfire changes cylinders too. hint switch the plugs and coil packs to different cylinders to follow the change in misfire.
Its not unheard of to have a replacement part as faulty as the one replaced.
Yes, you will need a code reader and list. If it doesn't switch suspect the wire first then the ECU.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
Have you traded coil packs and spark plugs to see if misfire changes cylinders too. hint switch the plugs and coil packs to different cylinders to follow the change in misfire.
Its not unheard of to have a replacement part as faulty as the one replaced.
Yes, you will need a code reader and list. If it doesn't switch suspect the wire first then the ECU.
Hi. Yes I have tried and so has honda. I have an actron reader that tells you the code and the description. The misfire doesn't follow the coil. :/ when you say "wire" you mean the coil pack harness? And if it's the ECU what can I do without taking it to honda?

Old 03-23-2014, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
I honestly doubt it's the ECU.