1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

question about the progress rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
question about the progress rear sway bar

So I've read so many positive reviews of this bar I'd love to install one on my fit before winter. However, I read on a local honda fit forum that a user actually had his rear suspension raised by about an inch because the tops of the provided bolts are so tall. He actually disassembled the wheel/springs to install the bar. Another user suggested he discard the bolts and replace them with flatheads to avoid the raising effect on the rear suspension.

I thought it was possible to install this bar without taking apart the wheel/suspension system. Also, has anyone encountered the same "issue" of raised springs suspension due to the tops of the bolts?

Lastly, who would you order it from and how much foot pounds of torque would you use to torque the bolts?

Old 11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
In the case of the Progress rear anti-roll bar, its common for people to ditch the typical hex head bolts for button head that has a slot for an allen kinda like this bolt in this image (but of the correct length, thread pitch, and grade of course).

The reason being is that this actually tucks under the rubber pad that the rear spring rides on pretty nicely (so more clearance) in comparison to the hex head.

Removal of the springs is quite common and makes for an easier install but is not always required. I personally installed my rear bar on my GD3 by removing both springs and having to temporarily loosen the lower bolt for the passenger rear shock to give me a bit more room to work with. On the other hand, I also installed a Progress bar on a friend's GE8 that had Tein coilovers and did not have to remove anything; just raised it up on a lift, trimmed a little bit of rubber material off the rear pads for clearance and installed the bar.

If the rear suspension seems higher than usually this is likely because the springs became un-settled and the car will need to be driven in order to get the ride height back to were it originally was if the hardware was installed correctly.

I got my rear bar second hand, my friend got her's through Progress, and there are a bunch of vendors/aftermarket parts stores that should have it available. If memory serves me right the torque spec was between 35-41 lbs.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
I've got it on my car...I've installed it with flat head screws. That means that I had to countersink the bolt holes in the spring plate. Very easzy, you just have to buy the countersink bit for your drill. If you tahe the rear wheels off, you dont have to jack the car up that high to rotate the rear axle. And I only removed the bottom bolt out of the shock. I was able to do that in a couple of hours...very worth it.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Installed ours with the supplied button heads. Didn't take the suspension apart. Left out the 3rd bolt on the passenger side. The other 5 holes are exposed.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
Installed ours with the supplied button heads. Didn't take the suspension apart. Left out the 3rd bolt on the passenger side. The other 5 holes are exposed.
How did you get the bolts in under the springs? was your ride height affected? Why leave out a bolt?

Man I thought the sway bar would be an easy install... I dunno if I'm game to take apart the suspension, I'd don't really have experience in mecanics.

Is there a DIY about disassembling the suspension somewhere that I can check? If I muster the courage to install it myself, I'll check locally to order the bar. The shipping from any american parts source is nearly (or more than) 100$

Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
100 bucks is about right for a new Progress anti-roll bar and the install is easy to do. Here's a DIY, mind you this is on a GE8 BUT its the exact same step by step process you do if you can by without removing the springs.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...r-install.html

In the event that you have to remove the springs and maybe one or both lower shock bolts, follow the link below. It is to an online 2004 Honda Fit/Jazz service manual but the steps and torque specs are the exact same for '07/'08 GD chassis Fits in the states and Canada.

Rear Spring Replacement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:53 PM
5 of the holes are not blocked by the springs. Real easy install.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by MTLian
So I've read so many positive reviews of this bar I'd love to install one on my fit before winter. However, I read on a local honda fit forum that a user actually had his rear suspension raised by about an inch because the tops of the provided bolts are so tall. He actually disassembled the wheel/springs to install the bar. Another user suggested he discard the bolts and replace them with flatheads to avoid the raising effect on the rear suspension.

I thought it was possible to install this bar without taking apart the wheel/suspension system. Also, has anyone encountered the same "issue" of raised springs suspension due to the tops of the bolts?

Lastly, who would you order it from and how much foot pounds of torque would you use to torque the bolts?
I was the first person on these forums to purchase the GD3 Progress RSB, and I was the person who convinced Progress to design the bar for the GE8 Fits. I installed the bars on both generations of Fits using the supplied nuts and bolts and had no fitment issues at all.

The people who had issues were those who used after-market springs. Progress Automotive designed the original GD3 bars to improve the handling of a car that did not offer a rear sway bar as an accessory, and really needed an improvement in handling for the enthusiast.

Those of us who also bought GE8's found that the newly added stock rear RSB's provided better handling than with stock GD3's, but not as good as it could be because the stock RSB's were a little too weak. By adding the Progress RSB, handling is greatly improved over stock. If you are using stock springs, you don't need to worry about buying other bolts- the ones provided by Progress work fine.

Progress can't be blamed for fitment issues on RSB's that are used with all of the brands of lowering springs. The bars were made for easy installation on a stock Fit. The RSB's do not have fitment issues with Progress lowering springs, but may have problems with the many other brands of springs.

So, if your Fit is stock, don't worry and don't buy any unnecessary extra bolts. If you use any brand of springs other than stock or Progress, buying extra bolts may be necessary. There are so many forums members who cut corners in their DIY's that you are better off just following the clearly written installation instructions provided by Progress.

Last edited by Triskelion; 11-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
100 bucks is about right for a new Progress anti-roll bar and the install is easy to do. Here's a DIY, mind you this is on a GE8 BUT its the exact same step by step process you do if you can by without removing the springs.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...r-install.html

In the event that you have to remove the springs and maybe one or both lower shock bolts, follow the link below. It is to an online 2004 Honda Fit/Jazz service manual but the steps and torque specs are the exact same for '07/'08 GD chassis Fits in the states and Canada.

Rear Spring Replacement
Thanks! I had found the thread you quoted in my search but I figured that the GE springs might have been different than the GD thus explaining why someone might have had fitment issues.

100$ is not the price for the bar, it's the price for the shipping! Let's say I order from club RSX (free shipping in the USA). That's 160$ + sales tax (about 16$) + 100$ shipping we're talking nearly 300$, that's excluding the absolutely retarded brokerage fees that UPS might charge me (UPS sucks for that)! I live in Canada but I live in a big city that has auto shops. I'm sure one of those places could order one even if I have to pay 200$ for it, it'd still be cheaper!

So, if your Fit is stock, don't worry and don't buy any unnecessary extra bolts.
Sweet! Thank you so much for your reply, Triskelion, you really dispelled any misconceptions I had about the bar. I don't have access to a heated interior garage so I hope to get it done soon or else it'll have to wait 'till next spring...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
Those of us who also bought GE8's...By adding the Progress RSB, handling is greatly improved over stock.
Yup...me too...and yes it did improve the handling.

So, if your Fit is stock...
I don't think anyone on here has a stock Fit! That is why we are all here.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Jodele
Yup...me too...and yes it did improve the handling.

I don't think anyone on here has a stock Fit! That is why we are all here.
Then you are wrong. All members start with stock Fits, unless they bought a modded one.

Last edited by Triskelion; 11-15-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Banned
Thanks! I had found the thread you quoted in my search but I figured that the GE springs might have been different than the GD thus explaining why someone might have had fitment issues.

100$ is not the price for the bar, it's the price for the shipping! Let's say I order from club RSX (free shipping in the USA). That's 160$ + sales tax (about 16$) + 100$ shipping we're talking nearly 300$, that's excluding the absolutely retarded brokerage fees that UPS might charge me (UPS sucks for that)! I live in Canada but I live in a big city that has auto shops. I'm sure one of those places could order one even if I have to pay 200$ for it, it'd still be cheaper!

Sweet! Thank you so much for your reply, Triskelion, you really dispelled any misconceptions I had about the bar. I don't have access to a heated interior garage so I hope to get it done soon or else it'll have to wait 'till next spring...
You're welcome. Just dress warmly if it is cold. The job shouldn't take even a newbie more than an hour with all of the DIY info. on the forums. I replaced the entire suspension on a '87 Ford Bronco during a 30-degree night, in the dark with a drop-light. The sway bar on a Fit is SIMPLE. Just a few nuts and bolts.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Then you are wrong. All members start with stock Fits, unless they bought a modded one.
Yes...START. They are all stock once.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
You're welcome. Just dress warmly if it is cold. The job shouldn't take even a newbie more than an hour with all of the DIY info. on the forums. I replaced the entire suspension on a '87 Ford Bronco during a 30-degree night, in the dark with a drop-light. The sway bar on a Fit is SIMPLE. Just a few nuts and bolts.
Ok but I sure as he'll am not jacking my car up on a sheet of ice, if you know what I mean!

You overestimate the capacity of the noobs! Hell, i took me forever to remove my bumper and couldn't, for the life of me, manage to disconnect my damn fog lights!

As far as the stock conversation goes, mine is pretty much stock except for some tint, center console, HFP muffler and leather boot that was there when I bought it . I'm hoping to find a good price on some white könig retracks for next spring.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 AM
37ft-lbs is the spec

Old 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Here's another DIY from SMeister: Honda Fit DIY and Reviews by smeister13: DIY: Install Progress Rear Swaybar for Honda Fit

It would be wise for me to do this mod tomorrow when I do my Tokico Shocks/Swift spring install, but I haven't bought one yet so it'll have to be a future upgrade. Anybody know of the best deal on the bar?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Just checking.. do you have a GD3 or GE8?

Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Mine is a GD3...

Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
I have a GD3.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
I have a GD3.
MTLian, did you get & install the RSB?

I asked this:

because in the DIY for the GE8, I can see the 5 holes are exposed. I also have a GD3 and was wondering if the same thing applied to us.

I think I'm going to order one.
I thought I was just going to keep my mods to basically just lowering & wheels but I still have the mod bug..

Quick Reply: question about the progress rear sway bar