1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Brake problem. Yikes! Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member
Brake problem. Yikes! Please advise

This is my first winter driving my 2007 Fit sport and I've experienced acceptable breaking performance. I've noticed when breaking on snow, my break pedal will pulsate and create a slight opposing force upward (which it doesn't under normal breaking circumstances). I've felt that in other cars and I've always figured it was the ABS kicking in.

For the past couple of days it has been very sunny and most of the ice or snow on the road has melted, revealing bare pavement. Just today, I was driving in a 30 KM/H zone (20 mph) with speed bumps. I arrived at small intersection with no apparent snow on the ground and when I hit the breaks, the brake pedal raised up unusually high and I got such poor breaking that my car simply slowed to a stop nearly half way across the intersection! Thank god there was no pedestrian in front of me. The symptom never returned for the rest of the day and braking was normal.

I'm thinking I might have air in my break lines or I need my break fluid changed. The break fluid is between the min and max lines so it is definitely not low.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM
"Brake"

Air in your lines would be indicated by a low pedal and would not disappear.

I'd take a look at the pads themselves... was this the first actual brake application of the day (besides backing out of driveway, etc)? Is it cold and icy there?

The ABS didn't kick in which tells me you didn't lock up the tires, so I wouldn't think the tires would be the culprit.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 AM
It's the ABS

Road conditions were not as good as they looked.

Drive slower.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 AM
ABS = pedal pulse? I've never felt it on the Fit so?

Old 01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Yup, I get it every once in a while if I get gravel/dirt/salt under one tire, even if only gradually wiping some speed with the brakes. Since upgrading to better tires.. it is more rarely felt.

Adding grippier pads has since brought it back some. Next set of tires for the summer wheels are RS3s or Star Specs and I expect it to go away again.

More tire than brake = No lock up.
More brake than tire = ABS freaking the f*ck out

Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM
I think i'm confused by his explanation that the "pedal raised up unusually high" with no mention of the pulse.

I thought maybe there was something between the rotor and pad, perhaps that went away after the first application.

Probably just the ABS and i'm over analyzing

Old 01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Yup, I get it every once in a while if I get gravel/dirt/salt under one tire, even if only gradually wiping some speed with the brakes. Since upgrading to better tires.. it is more rarely felt.

Adding grippier pads has since brought it back some. Next set of tires for the summer wheels are RS3s or Star Specs and I expect it to go away again.

More tire than brake = No lock up.
More brake than tire = ABS freaking the f*ck out
thanks for the replies. I was driving 20 mph in a 20 mph zone so I wasn't going fast. Perhaps I hit black ice, but the pavement looked bare.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MTLian
. Perhaps I hit black ice, but the pavement looked bare.
I was going to suggest that.

but as most have previously said, its most likely the ABS. I get it from time to time when I either stomp the brakes or am trying to brake on soft surfaces. Even with brand new tires

Hope it works out for you!

Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
I've pulled out my ABS, but I do remember having situations like that. I wouldn't doubt the tires hit something slippery!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, sounds like ABS kicking in...

Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
OP get out in an empty parking lot after the next snow and stomp on the brakes and see what happens. It should replicate what you experienced.

If not switch from breaks to brakes.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
I arrived at small intersection with no apparent snow on the ground and when I hit the breaks, the brake pedal raised up unusually high and I got such poor breaking that my car simply slowed to a stop nearly half way across the intersection!
Did you lift your foot off the pedal? I don't get how the "pedal raised up" if you were stepping on it.

You would feel the pedal pulsing/chattering if it's the ABS, but it should never push itself and your foot up - I don't know if that's even possible.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
Did you lift your foot off the pedal? I don't get how the "pedal raised up" if you were stepping on it.

You would feel the pedal pulsing/chattering if it's the ABS, but it should never push itself and your foot up - I don't know if that's even possible.
It's really what happened! You described it well. It usually pulsates but this time it felt as if it pushed back up; almost as if the travel of the pedal was less than an inch. I tried pumping the brakes (I got the spelling now!) and was able two push the pedal down a good inch or two more...

Haven't seen the same symptom since but I'm rather unsatisfied with my studded champiro tires. I'll probably retire them after this season.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
I tried pumping the brakes (I got the spelling now!) and was able two (to) push the pedal down a good inch or two more...
Don't pump the brakes too hard. You might break something else. Then count to two (one, two) before you try again... Now it's fixed.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 AM
5 Year Member
that's what you get for posting from an iPad! The spelling police comes after you! Damn you autocorrect. I think I meant to say i pumped the breaks twice and got lost half way in my sentence.

Anyway, really it was as if my pedal became blocked/locked and then unlocked. I has been particularly cold the past couple of days, might have had something to do with it.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
OP. You are running studded snows? Where do you live?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
I think sometimes when ABS kicks in, the pedal does get harder, it "should" be normal. But again try it out in an empty parking lot like someone suggested and if it still feel strange, take it to a repair shop or dealership

Old 01-20-2013, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
OP. You are running studded snows? Where do you live?
I live in Montreal in a borough that doesn't adhere to plowing! Every other car is a subie in my neighbourhood. My folks live in an area that doesn't have near as much through traffic but yet they benefit from a decent plowing of the streets...

Old 01-20-2013, 10:50 AM
5 Year Member
This is my first winter driving my 2007 Fit sport and I've experienced acceptable breaking performance. I've noticed when breaking on snow, my break pedal will pulsate and create a slight opposing force upward (which it doesn't under normal breaking circumstances). I've felt that in other cars and I've always figured it was the ABS kicking in.

For the past couple of days it has been very sunny and most of the ice or snow on the road has melted, revealing bare pavement. Just today, I was driving in a 30 KM/H zone (20 mph) with speed bumps. I arrived at small intersection with no apparent snow on the ground and when I hit the breaks, the brake pedal raised up unusually high and I got such poor breaking that my car simply slowed to a stop nearly half way across the intersection! Thank god there was no pedestrian in front of me. The symptom never returned for the rest of the day and braking was normal.

I'm thinking I might have air in my break lines or I need my break fluid changed. The break fluid is between the min and max lines so it is definitely not low.

I wonder if you had ice between the rotor and pad on at least one side.
Or water in the brake fluid that froze! If thats it when the water gets in the caliper and you use the brakes hard you will find the brakes will lock on tghe rotor and you'll come to a halt.This might be a time folr a WFO brake test - the kind racers use to beak in new pads. With tyhe Fit secured with the front wheels off the ground or just driving, repeatedly apply the brakes hard til the pads lock on or you experience fade. If there is not pads locking to the rotors to the rotor there is not likely water in the calipers but could be in the brake lines where if it freezes, there will be almost no braking thanks to the ice plugging the line.
good luck.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
I wonder if you had ice between the rotor and pad on at least one side.
Or water in the brake fluid that froze! If thats it when the water gets in the caliper and you use the brakes hard you will find the brakes will lock on tghe rotor and you'll come to a halt.This might be a time folr a WFO brake test - the kind racers use to beak in new pads. With tyhe Fit secured with the front wheels off the ground or just driving, repeatedly apply the brakes hard til the pads lock on or you experience fade. If there is not pads locking to the rotors to the rotor there is not likely water in the calipers but could be in the brake lines where if it freezes, there will be almost no braking thanks to the ice plugging the line.
good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking of bleeding the brakes next spring. I'll see then if there's a difference.

Quick Reply: Brake problem. Yikes! Please advise