1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Battery Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Battery Size

I currently have a everstart 51R-4 battery & the width is too wide. Theres no clearance between the stock intake box & the battery. I bought my parts to do the diy ssr intake but the first bend cant fit cos the battery is too wide. Is there any battery that gives enough clearance to use an aftermarket intake? Other than the stock battery?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
which way are you mounting the battery? i had to rotate mine to fit.. i have the huge optima battery with injen cai

Old 03-19-2013, 01:48 AM
5 Year Member
Regular way positive on the left & negative on the right. How'd you mount yours? Post a pic. Don't really wanna buy a new battery just to use my intake.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
i have my battery long ways.. poz pointing towards driver and neg towards front of the car

Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Note: I know nothing about electrical systems.

When going to a bigger battery, is there any concern with how that will integrate with the rest of the stock set-up? By "the rest of the stock set-up," I mean the alternator, the wiring, the fuses, etc.

Thanks.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Marrk

When going to a bigger battery, is there any concern with how that will integrate with the rest of the stock set-up? By "the rest of the stock set-up," I mean the alternator, the wiring, the fuses, etc.

Thanks.
There is no such concern as long as you use a 12 volt battery- size does not matter. The car's electrical system only uses the battery power that it needs. In a bigger battery with higher CCA rating, there is simply more power available for a longer time, like putting a 20 gallon gas tank in place of the stock one (wow, wouldn't that be a nice upgrade?).

Old 03-19-2013, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
i have my battery long ways.. poz pointing towards driver and neg towards front of the car
I was trying to do that, but how'd you get the negative to hook up to the battery? Did you relocate the ground?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Triskelion
There is no such concern as long as you use a 12 volt battery- size does not matter. The car's electrical system only uses the battery power that it needs. In a bigger battery with higher CCA rating, there is simply more power available for a longer time, like putting a 20 gallon gas tank in place of the stock one (wow, wouldn't that be a nice upgrade?).
^This. Plus you get the added benefit owning a car that will actually start in winter

Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Marrk

Thanks.

The battery in any car is only used when starting or with the key in the not running position and engine off. After that it is running off the alternator. In other words you will be fine with any 12volt storage battery.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks all.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
This might be the one...

Originally Posted by sh00k
Is there any battery that gives enough clearance to use an aftermarket intake? Other than the stock battery?
sh00k, I have the same problem as you. I went to Batteries Plus yesterday, and found a battery that might work for us. It is called a "Miata Battery." Check this out:
SLIU1RT Duracell Procell Battery - 1990 to 1993 L4 1.6L 320CCA - Miata - Mazda - Car and Truck - Batteries Plus

He also had another option that uses AGM technology. The only problem, is that the price of this one was essentially the same price as the 151R OEM battery off the dealers shelf.

With a quick Google, I did find a more reasonably priced one:
Mazda MIATA Battery: BatteryMart.com

Note the dimensions listed at this site.

Last edited by macbuddy; 03-20-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sh00k
I was trying to do that, but how'd you get the negative to hook up to the battery? Did you relocate the ground?
oh shizz.. i forgot i did that lol yeah I got something like this

with holes for 2 cables.. connected 1 to chassis and 1 to where the original ground was going

Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
Im really considering putting my battery in the trunk

Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
oh shizz.. i forgot i did that lol yeah I got something like this

with holes for 2 cables.. connected 1 to chassis and 1 to where the original ground was going

That's pretty.

Note: Can't decide if I wanna put work into my '08 or buy a new Fit. Anyone care to direct me to the thread that discusses issues on the 2012-13? (By "issues," I mean reliability, build quality and performance.) I've been following the new models a little, but not closely.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:06 AM
Banned
Im really considering putting my battery in the trunk
Don't forget to enclose it and have venting to the outside. We wouldn't want any big booms from explosive fumes.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
151R or a Deka ext16 battery.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Old 05-17-2013, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Battery Size for GD3

Having read over 100 posts today, I find myself pretty much confused. On the one hand, I see one person that says that the 51R size fits just fine. Having a 2007 Sport, I'm assuming we 2007-2008 Fit owners are dealing with the same space when no mods have been made. The battery needs to fit in between the air filter housing and the fuse box. I have measured and determined that any 12 volt battery that is 9.25 inches or smaller will fit in there. I just saw one at Costco. Their Kirkland 51R costs $71.99 and has a lot more CCAs than the OEM Honda battery.
So other than one person who claims the 51R "just drops in to that space", and another person who was nice enough to find us the Stinger SPV35 battery, can we nail down once and for all that:
1. we (2007-2008) are dealing with the opening between the air filter housing (towards the center of the engine) and the fuse box (towards the driver's side fender), and.........
2. others have tried the 51R and it fits snuggly, but it does fit.

I just cut a piece of wood to 9.25 inches. The fuse box has some give to it and allowed me to easily wedge the wood in there. My unscientific test makes me believe that the Kirkland battery will fit just fine in there. Given that there are less than stellar reviews for the OEM Honda battery, it would be nice to have others confirm that the 51R does fit in the car and perhaps put a sticky on one of the pages so people can get a real battery that won't die after only 2 years.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Honestly, I expect my stock battery to last quite awhile. I upgraded my grounding, and have a bigger, extra alternator wire.

Going on 6 months old, 12k miles nearly, and not a hint of trouble even with 3 subwoofers.

I dont think the GD3 is that much different eletricalwise

Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
Having read over 100 posts today, I find myself pretty much confused. On the one hand, I see one person that says that the 51R size fits just fine. Having a 2007 Sport, I'm assuming we 2007-2008 Fit owners are dealing with the same space when no mods have been made. The battery needs to fit in between the air filter housing and the fuse box. I have measured and determined that any 12 volt battery that is 9.25 inches or smaller will fit in there. I just saw one at Costco. Their Kirkland 51R costs $71.99 and has a lot more CCAs than the OEM Honda battery.
So other than one person who claims the 51R "just drops in to that space", and another person who was nice enough to find us the Stinger SPV35 battery, can we nail down once and for all that:
1. we (2007-2008) are dealing with the opening between the air filter housing (towards the center of the engine) and the fuse box (towards the driver's side fender), and.........
2. others have tried the 51R and it fits snuggly, but it does fit.

I just cut a piece of wood to 9.25 inches. The fuse box has some give to it and allowed me to easily wedge the wood in there. My unscientific test makes me believe that the Kirkland battery will fit just fine in there. Given that there are less than stellar reviews for the OEM Honda battery, it would be nice to have others confirm that the 51R does fit in the car and perhaps put a sticky on one of the pages so people can get a real battery that won't die after only 2 years.
The proof of a Costco #11 in my canadian 2007 Fit Sport:

Nevermind the apparently dirty engine bay, that stuff is rustproofing gook. Most of what I did is well described in a thread called "another day, another 51r battery swap" or something like that. You do need to cut off one of the "lips" on the side of the rubber tray that goes under the battery since the 51r is just slightly longer. You can probably just throw out the tray or just plop the battery over it but what the hey, it took 2 mins to cut the tray with my dremel tool and a cutting disk.

If you are like me and are to lazy (or chicken shit) to replace the stock hoop style battery connectors, I strongly recommend using a battery post shim. On the OEM Yuasa battery, the pos. terminal is large and the negative is small so the connector rings are adjusted accordingly. On the Costo battery the terminals are equal size so you get a nice tight negative connection but even with the bolt on as tight as possible, I could just lift the positive connector right of the terminal because the hoop was too large. I ordered a pair of battery shims (only used 1) for about 5$ and voilą, great tight fit! I also used some lithium grease to protect the terminals from corrosion.

No more wondering if my car will start on a cold winter morning!

Quick Reply: Battery Size