1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Lowering Springs Question - TEIN S

Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Lowering Springs Question - TEIN S

Hello all,

I joined up because I am a somewhat new owner of a 2008 Fit Sport, and I need a little help.

Name:  fit01.jpg
Views: 3902
Size:  290.4 KB

I plan on getting my Fit lowered over the weekend using a set of Tein S-tech springs (on stock strut). I've been digging up information on the rubber bump stops, and trying to figure out whether or not they need to be cut etc. At first I was finding 1" to 1.2" to be cut from the short end (easy enough), but the Tein manual states otherwise...

According to the manual that came with my springs, I am to reinstall the stops with NO modification. The table that they show, which lists all the makes/models, shows no data for the Fit GD3... therefore (according to the note at the bottom) the bump stops do not need to be cut.

So now, I don't know what to tell my mechanic when we get this done and I'd rather not be wrong. I think the springs I have will lower the car 1.5" or so; I am not sure what to go with. Seems like a LOT of people are suggesting that I cut them, but the manual says not to. I'm guessing this varies across spring brands but I can't find any conclusive data. Ugh.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info and I appreciate the help.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
I cut them when I installed mine.

I would cut them if I installed them again.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:06 PM
I have a GE8 and bought and installed the same springs. I ended up cutting mine about 1.5 inches and have no issues. I would recommend that you do but I have heard that you don't necessarily have to.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Hmm, well I guess I could just plan on cutting them it doesn't matter to me. I have an extra set of these bump stops so I planned on doing so all along. I just wasn't sure what the best option was.

The GD3 page on Tein's site lists the heights as -1.81" front and -1.22" rear. I'm thinking if I go with a 30mm cut or so (a little more than 1") I should be fine. I also got the camber correction bolts so my tires will hopefully last a few seasons.

Thanks for the input!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I have always cut my bump stops on every car I lowered. I just generically cut them in half.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
There's a DIY somewhere on here with pictures of how far up on the bump stop to cut, I followed that to the T and everything seems well.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 AM
^Yea i believe I have looked that over a few times, even bookmarked maybe. My only concern would be bottoming out on uneven surfaces as some of the roads around here are garbage. Again though it kinda depends on the drop as I don't recall any specifics on ride height with the springs they used... but they definitely weren't Teins.

Considering the manual calls for no modification I don't mind taking the recommendations from others who have done this; cut the stops a bit. I think I'll prob just do the 30mm thing and be done with it.

Thanks again!

Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 AM
5 Year Member
I'm from WI, so I understand poor roads, trust me when I say, cut the bumpstops.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM
well i ran into a pretty shitty issue... doesn't seem my current wheel and tire setup will work with this drop.

I am using 205/50-15 falken on 15x7 rim. if i hit a big enough dip in the road the fronts rub a bit, which isn't cool at all. they actually rub the little clip that holds the plastic splash guard to the fender... so i took them off immediately.

so that's kind of a bummer and I'm not sure what to do. the stock size seems fine but i wonder if cutting those stops was a bad idea? idk what size are you guys using? i think i'm sort of at a dead end with these wheels that I only have one season on. ugh.

Last edited by EXCellR8; 04-15-2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: fixed tire size
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Depending on the offset of your wheels It seems like you may just need the liner mod.
There is a DIY on it here and it's pretty simple.

That tire size may also be a bit tall for your drop and wheel set up.I would run a 195/50 to be on the safe side or even a 205/50

Old 04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
my bad... the tires are 205/50-15 i just double checked. they do look super meaty for a 15" wheel (offset is +40 i think) but i bought them last year for a different car; i don't think lower profiles are available.

liner mod seems pretty simple i actually had a look at the liner itself earlier and didn't think of it. obviously removing them is bad news so I wouldn't even consider that, but tucking it up a little bit just might work. if it does i'd be ecstatic because i really have no idea what to do haha. i like the drop and the car feels great overall, just the little bit of rubbing that irks me.

thanks! i'll give this a try tomorrow...

Last edited by EXCellR8; 04-15-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
i cut it, about half the lenght of the bump stop.. just incase.. ^^

Old 04-26-2013, 04:01 AM
How about if you dont cut the bumpstops, could you still install the springs and what is the effect on the car?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jazz_CBP
How about if you dont cut the bumpstops, could you still install the springs and what is the effect on the car?
On a GE (from your pic)?

I didn't cut mine, no issues. I have yet to bottom out even on speed bumps. IIRC Tien doesn't think you need to cut them either.

IMO cutting bump stops on stock shocks is a bad idea anyway (not sure what shocks you have since I see you're not in the US).

Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
On a GE (from your pic)?

I didn't cut mine, no issues. I have yet to bottom out even on speed bumps. IIRC Tien doesn't think you need to cut them either.

IMO cutting bump stops on stock shocks is a bad idea anyway (not sure what shocks you have since I see you're not in the US).

I leave in Philippines and i have 2012 fit base lowered with Eibach Pro Spring. I dont see the mechanic cut that bumpstop when they install the spring and it's been 3 months now since i lowered it with no issues. But this thread makes me sick and thinking if my mechanic done it right. BTW thanks men for your share.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:10 AM
If my dropzone specs are accurate (F 2'', R 1.5'' drop) I havent noticed anything.

I did NOT cut the bumpstops. Why reduce the range of protection?

Cutting bumpstops is stupid if you dont go more then say 2.5 inch drop

My suspension is doing just fine and I drive over some bumpy roads.

EDIT by stupid, I mean unnecessary. not implying people who did it are stupid

Last edited by 13fit; 04-27-2013 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 PM
I cut them a hair over an inch i believe, just in case the drop had any adverse affect on my stock shocks. The ride feels fine, and there is definitely a lot less of that "stock wobble" when going over uneven surfaces. I just need to find some new tires I bought some slightly narrower wheels for my Fit. Shopping for tires sucks btw... lol

...and the TEIN spec sheets that came with my springs did not have any information about having to trim the stops with the GD3, which indicates that it is optional.

EDIT: pulled the trigger on a set of Yoko S.Drives... might be a bit overkill in terms of performance for the Fit, but I don't like the stock Dunlops and I've heard that most people don't like the DZ101. I've always gone with the Falkens for my Civic but the shorter wheelbase of the Fit makes them feel a bit stiff. The tread life rating of the S.Drive is a little worse I think but I will only run them in the good weather, which here in shitty NH is maybe 5 months.

Last edited by EXCellR8; 04-27-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: added new tire info
Old 04-28-2013, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EXCellR8
Hello all,

I joined up because I am a somewhat new owner of a 2008 Fit Sport, and I need a little help.

I plan on getting my Fit lowered over the weekend using a set of Tein S-tech springs (on stock strut). I've been digging up information on the rubber bump stops, and trying to figure out whether or not they need to be cut etc. At first I was finding 1" to 1.2" to be cut from the short end (easy enough), but the Tein manual states otherwise...

According to the manual that came with my springs, I am to reinstall the stops with NO modification. The table that they show, which lists all the makes/models, shows no data for the Fit GD3... therefore (according to the note at the bottom) the bump stops do not need to be cut.

So now, I don't know what to tell my mechanic when we get this done and I'd rather not be wrong. I think the springs I have will lower the car 1.5" or so; I am not sure what to go with. Seems like a LOT of people are suggesting that I cut them, but the manual says not to. I'm guessing this varies across spring brands but I can't find any conclusive data. Ugh.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any info and I appreciate the help.

We've lowered at least 30 Fits and many other vehicles; here's our rule on installing or cutting bump stops:

Bump stops are used to protect shock absorbers. They prevent the piston from 'bottoming' in the shock on full and most likely violent compressions.
We even had a case of that happening.
That said, we decided to cut no more than ahalf inch from the bushing if the piston travel was more than 5". If it was we cut nothing simply because the less the piston range from stock the more likely to compress the piston to the bottom of the shock. That has high chances of damaging the valves and subsequent poor ride and cornering characteristics.
And with that advice, its up to you.
PS yes we have seen Fits with bumper stops removed without damafge but I don't tyhink any of them travel on really bad roads either.
cheers and good luck.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
I installed tein springs on my car 2 weeks after owning it lol. Over the last 66 cars Ive owned so far Everyone I have lowered I always cut the bump stop in half. I did the same thing to my fit struts. Rides excellent no bottoming out unless I hit a big enough hole or something from construction on the hwy.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by EXCellR8
EDIT: pulled the trigger on a set of Yoko S.Drives... might be a bit overkill in terms of performance for the Fit, but I don't like the stock Dunlops and I've heard that most people don't like the DZ101. I've always gone with the Falkens for my Civic but the shorter wheelbase of the Fit makes them feel a bit stiff. The tread life rating of the S.Drive is a little worse I think but I will only run them in the good weather, which here in shitty NH is maybe 5 months.
The S.Drives are definitely not too much tire, I was underwhelmed with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering Springs Question - TEIN S