1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Sleeping in Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Sleeping in Fit

So Fit Freaks, specifically GD peeps, have any of you slept/camped in your Fit?

With the GD we have the space to set something comfortable up, just interested in hearing how y'all have done it and some feedback...

Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Just got done doing some this weekend.

Once the car was done for the day, I folded the seats flat, used my futon mattress and slept on it comfortably. I just moved the bags up against the dash and steering wheel and then put my pillows right below the headrests.

My GF was surprised that I thought about that. She wondered how we were going to camp with no tent. With the wind visors, I could roll the window down a little and be fine. The only complaint I had was leg room, since I'm 6'2. I couldn't stretch out, but it was fine for the night.

We had a portable generator(Honda), I used my window fan (LIKE THIS )and it sat on the dash and kept it comfy.

I'd do it again, and she would too. I've slept in cars before and made it work, but the Fit was the smallest car Ive done it in.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Did you just roll up the futon mattress in the rear of the car while you were driving? That sounds like an ideal solution.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 PM
Kinda, just folded it over and left the back seats folded down. Just fixed the front for driving.

The futon mattress was something I read somewhere else on here. I bought a cheap one at Walmart when I saw them there for this reason. It was a little wider than the car but it worked fine.

I might buy another one because it wasn't thick enough. I still felt like I was sleeping on the hard seat backs.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Banned
Several threads on this subject already and are available for your reading pleasure.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
I read through about 12 on this topic. Most severely lacking in specifics or experience in doing so with two people. They also tend more towards the GE crowd which does not benefit from the fold flat front seats like a GD.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Katsumoto
Kinda, just folded it over and left the back seats folded down. Just fixed the front for driving.

The futon mattress was something I read somewhere else on here. I bought a cheap one at Walmart when I saw them there for this reason. It was a little wider than the car but it worked fine.

I might buy another one because it wasn't thick enough. I still felt like I was sleeping on the hard seat backs.
Sounds great dude, I'll have to test it with one before the trip and see if that second one is necessary.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM
My mom and I both slept in my gd. Only did it for a night but it was pretty comfy just put down the back seats and moved front seats forward, sleeping bags and lots of pillows were used. We're both under 5'5'' so it was roomy for us. I'd do it again

Old 06-19-2013, 01:24 AM
folded seats back, and i was set!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:29 PM
I am considering this. I have to drive from Santa Barbara to a cabin on labor day weekend. It is near Yosemite, almost a 400 mile trip. Everyone else is getting there Friday and they are all closer. I am thinking of getting off work at 4, sleeping for a few hours, and just driving really late at night to miss the heart attack traffic of SoCal. Get there around 2-3 am, have a beer, and sleep, parked in the front yard....

Old 08-07-2013, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
I've slept in my Fit about a million times but usually it's cat naps in the front seat. NOT comfortable! I have camped in the Fit just once. I dropped the front seats and removed the headrests, dropped the rear seats, and inflated a full size inflatable Intex mattress in the back area. Fits perfectly and super comfortable!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Well there has been plenty of times when I've gone out on the weekends and had 1 to many beers and have crashed out in the car rather then drive. Pretty comfortable I would say, not sure if it's because I'm drunk or just really tired though? Sometimes I recline the seat, sometimes I knock out just sitting up. Wake up in the morning feeling like a champ and head home or to a friends house. I'm sure if I took the time to adjust the seats better I'd probably stop paying my mortgage and just live in the FIT.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:02 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 1SickVeilsideZ
Well there has been plenty of times when I've gone out on the weekends and had 1 to many beers and have crashed out in the car rather then drive. Pretty comfortable I would say, not sure if it's because I'm drunk or just really tired though? Sometimes I recline the seat, sometimes I knock out just sitting up. Wake up in the morning feeling like a champ and head home or to a friends house. I'm sure if I took the time to adjust the seats better I'd probably stop paying my mortgage and just live in the FIT.

Be careful doing this in most states if you are behind the wheel (even with the seat reclined) and the key is in the ignition (some states even if key is not in the switch) you can still be arrested for DWI or some other charge.

Better if you jump over into the passenger seat when you do the right thing and pull over. Good job on the pulling over thing.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Pull the key, put it in the glove box, crash out.

Don't over think it. I see this all the time on the forum. stop over thinking things guys.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:23 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by breadtrk
Pull the key, put it in the glove box, crash out.

Don't over think it. I see this all the time on the forum. stop over thinking things guys.

That will work in SOME states but some state DO allow arrests EVEN WITH THE KEY OUT OF THE IGNITION. Better to jump over into the passenger seat.