1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Bought and Installed Lowering Springs but not enough

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Bought and Installed Lowering Springs but not enough

Hi guys, I posted a while back about my car. I had installed Maxspeed lowering Springs on my gd fit. At first I was really happy with the 1.5rear 2.0front drop. But now I've been wanting to lower the car further and Coilovers are not on my priorities for now as budget is constraint. Any ideas or suggestions or any alternative way for having the car lowered a bit more than to how it is siting right now. Here's the pic of my car:
Name:  1011161_10151546178948049_2004610866_n.jpg
Views: 2684
Size:  72.5 KB

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
is it practical driving around QC slammed? i know the roads in the phil is not nice at all.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
is it practical driving around QC slammed? i know the roads in the phil is not nice at all.
Oh yes thank you for pointing that out aswell.. Our roads here in the Philippines are somehow like a moon's crater well not all but a lot. This was holding me back for quite sometime too. Are you filipino?

A lot recommended on cutting the lowering springs, I really have no idea about cutting/reheating and all sorts of cheap lowering alternatives and if someone could enlighten me on this, would be of great help.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
The roads back there are nothing compared to our roads here in Edmonton.
Search for "Edmonton potholes", you'll see what I'm talking about. But despite the bad roads here, a lot of people have lowered/slammed cars.

You're lucky you have that big of a drop on just lowering springs, my Skunk2 dropped my car F1.5" R1.0" (Or even less!). I know coilovers are not on your priority list right now, but it is definitely worth it in the long run.

I would not advice cutting your lowering springs unless you really care more about looks than comfort and blown shocks.

P.S. I think your drop is much more closer to what I have right now. So that means the advertised drop for your springs isn't true too.

Name:  IMG_20130510_212419.jpg
Views: 938
Size:  77.1 KB

Goodluck, Kabayan!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cocomartinreyes
Oh yes thank you for pointing that out aswell.. Our roads here in the Philippines are somehow like a moon's crater well not all but a lot. This was holding me back for quite sometime too. Are you filipino?

A lot recommended on cutting the lowering springs, I really have no idea about cutting/reheating and all sorts of cheap lowering alternatives and if someone could enlighten me on this, would be of great help.
yep pinoy 10char

Old 08-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
right then again its ok to drive slow in the philippines. i dont think ive ever driven over 40 mph even in SLEX

Old 08-04-2013, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre
Search for "Edmonton potholes", you'll see what I'm talking about. But despite the bad roads here, a lot of people have lowered/slammed cars.

You're lucky you have that big of a drop on just lowering springs, my Skunk2 dropped my car F1.5" R1.0" (Or even less!). I know coilovers are not on your priority list right now, but it is definitely worth it in the long run.

I would not advice cutting your lowering springs unless you really care more about looks than comfort and blown shocks.

P.S. I think your drop is much more closer to what I have right now. So that means the advertised drop for your springs isn't true too.

Goodluck, Kabayan!
Daming pinoy dito "A lot of filipinos here"

Correct me if I'm wrong or I may be delusional at first. But when I had the springs installed it looked like the picture I posted. However after 2 months of it being installed, fitted 185/55/15 tires right now it seems that the car looked lower than it was before.

I maybe wrong, but the car did look lowered a bit after 2 months. I'm not sure if the springs were finally sitting properly or the tires I had before were fatter which made it look abit tall. Now, I've measured the height of the fender to the tires its 1.5 front and 2.0rear.

If ever I do decide on lowering the car, I don't know how much more should I go, lets say 1 more inch for both front and rear? Uhmmm as for now I'm really satisfied with the ride quality of the springs as they feel like oem springs however going lower by an inch I guess would really compensate ride quality. Still bothered that the car does feel taller

Last edited by cocomartinreyes; 08-04-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 AM
right then again its ok to drive slow in the philippines. i dont think ive ever driven over 40 mph even in SLEX

With the fit now I don't exceed 100km/h. Riding slow and low

Old 08-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by jmsplitfyre

Goodluck, Kabayan!
I did search for EDMONTON Potholes How come the roads there are allowed to be like that?

Old 08-04-2013, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator
yes springs tend to settle over time making it lower.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:10 AM
yes springs tend to settle over time making it lower.

Now that's a life saver! And a relief ! haha Kala ko nahihilo lang ako

Old 08-04-2013, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cocomartinreyes
I did search for EDMONTON Potholes How come the roads there are allowed to be like that?
It's called pocketing the tax money. They just patch up potholes with asphalt, so with our extreme weather conditions here plus the amount of abuse the roads get equals those potholes.

Ryu is correct, there is a settling period for the springs that's why it is lower than when you first installed it. I don't know how much low you want to go, it really depends on you and how you will use the car. But for me, once I go coilovers next year I will just lower the car until I don't see any wheel gap.