1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

07 Sport pedal adjustment/seat adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
07 Sport pedal adjustment/seat adjustment?

Right now my ankle is bent to the maximum up position and it is causing a lot of problems for me since my ankle is already injured. I've tried doing some searching but haven't found a lot of information other than making the pedal stiffer which I really don't care about. If I were to make either pedal stiffer, it would be the brake pedal as it's really touchy IMO.

Here is what I've tried so far without much luck:
1. Looked into adding thigh support for the seat which I think will help but not sure how to accomplish this due to the way the front left corner is mounted.
2. I added padding under the floor mat and that helps if I move the seat all the way back but then I can't reach the steering wheel so that's out.
3. I bought a used throttle pedal so I could chop away without fearing of destroying my only pedal. I successfully pushed the throttle pedal back too far and it hits the floor at maybe 1/3 throttle. I was going to try again before I realized the throttle pedals wire connector was different than mine. I may try some more.
4. When the used throttle pedal failed, I shimmed the top of the good pedal with 2 washers (just enough to allow the nut to engage). This pushes the throttle pedal down and further away which has really helped but I believe it could still be better.

Any other suggestions? Can the brake pedal be moved? Can the front of the seat be raised....safely? I already saw a couple write-ups that look like they would break in an emergency stop before the wreck even happens so I won't be doing those.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Banned
The front of the seat can be raised by inserting some washers under the rail. But don't go too far you need to leave enough length of the bolt in the threads to secure the seat safely.

That seat DIY is in here somewhere and a HUGE thread on installing a spring to make the gas pedal less easy to push.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:33 AM
E J
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
a HUGE thread on installing a spring to make the gas pedal less easy to push.
Yes, don't be so quick to discount this as a fix to your problem. It makes a BIG difference.
The parts are less than $10 at any hardware store.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
I'll look into raising the seat rails.

This throttle is actually stronger than most vehicles I've driven in the past and I totally understand wanting a stiffer pedal to help rest your foot easier. My main problem is my ankle is bent too far backwards and I physically can't move my foot/ankle/leg into a position that doesn't bend it that far back without moving the pedal away from me.

You know how you would normally leave your right heel on the carpet, pull your foot back a bit, and just rotate over to the brake? Well I can't do that because I can't move my ankle back any further. The spring may help me stay off the throttle when coasting which in turn will improve my fuel economy but I feel it's a band-aid and not a real solution....at least for me.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure anyone cares but I'm quite happy with my current modifications. I shimmed up the front of the seat about 1/2" using washers on the right side and washers combined with slotting the bolt hole on the left side. That added a little bit of thigh support but not much. I bought a $3 spring from Ace hardware and connected that to the throttle pedal but honestly didn't like it and after a week, I removed it entirely.

Next I shimmed the throttle pedal at the top mounting location which rotates the throttle pedal downward and further away from the driver. I was only able to get 2 washers behind it originally (~0.125") because that's all I could use and still have enough threads on the stud to engage the nut. The 2 washers was instantly the best mod I've done and after about 2 weeks, I decided to shave the throttle a little further to get 3 washers underneath. Best mod ever IMO!

One word of caution, if you disconnect the throttle pedal with the ignition on, you'll get a check engine light that will have to be cleared.