1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Small head units

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Small head units

Hey all!

So, I have an idea, and I need some experienced help with it.

I want to do a new head unit. However, I have a Carbon Fiber dash kit from CardID.com and it goes over the stock unit. I don't want to get rid of it, so instead I have an idea.

What if I could remove the stock radio unit, and put in a head unit, but instead of getting rid of the stock unit, I just get rid of the BLUE SCREEN that is in the stock assembly. Then, the new head unit would poke through where the blue screen was.

Has anyone attempted this? Or does anyone know of where I can find a very compact head unit?

Any help would be grand, thanks everyone!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
I don't think you can do that.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
I don't think you can do that.
Yea, but you CAN take the whole stock head unit out, so I'm going to see if anyone has even tried to take out the entire screen. Or if anyone has tried to keep the stock assembly, and put in a new head unit. Thanks for the pic though, that helps me visualize what I wanna do easier.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
I believe people have removed the LCD to replace the LED in it (too bad that didn't work out)

I can't seem to find the thread.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
I believe people have removed the LCD to replace the LED in it (too bad that didn't work out)

I can't seem to find the thread.

Right, well I'm trying to basically take the entire stock radio out, and just pop in the new one into the factory assembly. Which is why I need to find a small enough head unit to fill the gap where the old screen was.

I may end up taking out the turn dial on a head unit, (so it'll be flush with the factory assembly) and then just using the remote that comes with it and mounting it in a place that it won't get lost so I can turn my volume up that way.

but again, I have NO idea if this will work. Which is why I am asking the forum if anyone has tried it yet. If not, then I'll be a pioneer and make sure to document it to see if/how it can be done!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:57 AM
Why go through all that headache? Get a fold-out navi unit with multi-color buttons selection to match the other buttons in the car. You get b/t, etc at the same time.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
Why go through all that headache? Get a fold-out navi unit with multi-color buttons selection to match the other buttons in the car. You get b/t, etc at the same time.

1. Thanks for the question, it's a good one hahaha.

2. Because I really like the look of the stock unit. AND, as I stated above, I have a carbon fiber dash kit that really only works with the stock assembly. I COULD retro fit it to work with the Metra or Scoshe kits, sure, but I don't think it would look as clean.

3. If I can't have what I want, I will probably end up getting the Metra kit anyway. However, I want to try it my way first to see if its possible. And if it is possible, and relatively easy, then other people could save money from it as well! So we as a community could benefit from the work I do.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Buy the Scosce or Metro, and then wrap it in some CF vinyl. It's just not practical to modify the stock unit, in my opinion.

Heck, I don't think there is even a unit that small.

Old 03-20-2014, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Buy the Scosce or Metro, and then wrap it in some CF vinyl. It's just not practical to modify the stock unit, in my opinion.

Heck, I don't think there is even a unit that small.
To quote the Dude: "Well, that's just like...your opinion, man."

I agree, it COULD be useless. But I've always been one to try new things before I rule out the possibility of them working. I'm a scientist, so I experiment then conclude, not the other way around.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
I'm all up for you trying new things. Not saying you shouldn't.

If you can find a unit that small then that's a big hurdle out of the way. The rest shouldn't be too difficult.

Not sure how you're going to get disc though. Heck, no one even uses disc lol

Old 03-21-2014, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'm all up for you trying new things. Not saying you shouldn't.

If you can find a unit that small then that's a big hurdle out of the way. The rest shouldn't be too difficult.

Not sure how you're going to get disc though. Heck, no one even uses disc lol

Haha, yea, I'd go mechless.

I'm thinking about maybe fitting the new heat unit (I'd try it with a suuuuper cheap one from Good will I just found) behind the factory assembly. So, not all the buttons would be visible, but I could control the volume and everything with a remote that it comes with. Again, this would just be a test to see if it's possible, then i'd get an actual one to replace the Good will head unit hahaha.

Idk, it'll be an adventure.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Give it a shot! Maybe you can make a custom head unit panel in the LCD area and reposition the buttons and stuff somehow.