1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Gurgling/rushing water sound

Old 05-03-2014, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Gurgling/rushing water sound

Has anyone hear a gurgling/rushing water sound from under the dash or firewall area?

I noticed this over the last few weeks on the car. I found a tread on the GE side but figured I post something here.

The vehicle wasn't low on coolant but I topped of the radiator anyways. I also changed the the radiator cap since some said it could be a pressure change. This did not help. Could it be the heater core? Clueless to what this is.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hiwatt357
So I just need to bleed the system huh? I believe someone from the GE thread was saying the same thing. He was telling that sometimes when the system gets a little low in sucks air into the system from the overflow tank. Kinda makes sense.

I will try to bled this this week. I hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 PM
I have the same issue.. I actually bought a used Fit from a dealer and it was doing this the moment i drove off.. There's air in the heater core.. I tried bleeding the system myself but I couldn't get the thermostat to open after idling the car with the heater on for an hour! These L15s run too cold :P

Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Are you sure its not the A/C? My son heard a water sound as he was driving and discovered that the A/C drain line somehow got clogged. Quite a bit of water came out...and sound was then gone.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:04 PM
I'm not 100% sure of course but I just know that when I finally do get the thermostat to open, the sound is hardly noticeable.. but when the engine is cold, man is it loud with the water swooshing around.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Just noticed the same thing with my GD this morning. Problem goes away almost 30 seconds after startup.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Just noticed the same thing with my GD this morning. Problem goes away almost 30 seconds after startup.
When it's cold outside, it doesn't go away for me.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
The only time I had this noise was when I installed a Fujita intake as I had to remove the coolant line. Too much coolant came out and I'm assuming I got some air in the cooling system somehow. What I did was pop the coolant overfill cap and run the car at idle a little bit to siphon the air out of the line. Then I added more antifreeze.

The only other sound I've heard close to what your describing is the fuel sloshing around in a full gas tank, because it is right under the seats.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
The only time I had this noise was when I installed a Fujita intake as I had to remove the coolant line. Too much coolant came out and I'm assuming I got some air in the cooling system somehow. What I did was pop the coolant overfill cap and run the car at idle a little bit to siphon the air out of the line. Then I added more antifreeze.

The only other sound I've heard close to what your describing is the fuel sloshing around in a full gas tank, because it is right under the seats.
You'd be exactly right. I remember doing this after adding my AEM CAI on my Prelude SH. You could see them rising out the reservoir.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitguy07

Hmm that sounds good. I should suck the air out from that line. I was thinking this today on how to bleed this SOB out.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
Wait, I made a mistake. I meant the radiator cap, NOT the overfill reservoir.

And, no you don't have to actually pull air out, just pop the rad cover and let the air bubble out naturally.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
To bleed the engine on a GD you just idle and losen the nipple that's on the thermostat correct? I haven't found an accurate thread describing the process. I'm doing a coolant change this weekend and would like to bleed the engine afterwards. Some threads I've seen speak about idling with the rad cap off which I do not understand how that removed air without putting more in. Should I just be idling my car with the fan blowing on 4 as I losen the nipple and then it should stop bubbling out the nipple and she's been bled?

Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
I had the same issue in the beginning then I found out that the radiator cap was cracked, so I replaced it and it went away

Old 05-09-2014, 09:42 PM
yup, noticed the same thing when i attempted to install my intake. i lost a bit of coolant and figured there was some air in the system after i topped off. seemed to go away after a few days though...

Old 05-09-2014, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
Well i'm going to fix this tomorrow. I'll just take the cap off after it gets a little hot and let it bubble out.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
Well I believe this worked. Let the car run for a few minutes, took the cap off, then let the air work itself out.

started the car up after it got cold and heard the noise at first but when the car warmed up it seemed good. Drove mostly highway today but didn''t hear anything. So far so good. I'll see more tomorrow.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Diversion
I couldn't get the thermostat to open after idling the car with the heater on for an hour!
The trick is to run the engine for 15 minutes, then shut it down. The heat-soak will then open the thermostat.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rollerboots666
Well i'm going to fix this tomorrow. I'll just take the cap off after it gets a little hot and let it bubble out.
Yikes. Never do this. It's a pressurized system. Opening the cap after warm up can be dangerous. Take the cap off beforehand.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by p nut
Yikes. Never do this. It's a pressurized system. Opening the cap after warm up can be dangerous. Take the cap off beforehand.
I'm very aware of the system being pressurize and went hot can spray you. That is why I opened it up with a rag before it even got warm. This is something I would only do and NEVER recommend to anyone else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gurgling/rushing water sound