1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Looking to buy: 33k miles vs 150k miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:51 PM
j2x
Looking to buy: 33k miles vs 150k miles

There are two manual 1st gen Fits for sale in my area, both with clean titles and both on dealer lots. One has 33k miles for $10.5k and the other with 150k miles for $5k. From what I've read, these are very reliable automobiles- if they were well maintained. How nervous should I be biting on the one with more mileage that costs half as much?

Old 09-26-2014, 02:41 PM
I bought a used gd fit with 115k on it earlier in the year and have since then put 10k miles on it. I would not hesitate to buy another one of these cars used with that many miles or more.

Having come from owning a couple problem child V8 audi S4s and A4s this is about as basic and low maintenance as it gets. Everything you would possibly need to maintain is pretty darn cheap if there was a problem.

I would just say make sure that the car with more miles is in really good shape exterior wise / interior wise. I looked at a few manuals as well and found the best one I could regardless of miles. Mine did need the valves adjusted when I bought it but thats the only thing I can say was any sort of "hassle." And it only cost something like $250 to have a shop do it. Coming from my S4 where a comparable type of maintenance would cost like $1500, I was def OK with it.

Having said all that, if you have the money buy the one with less miles. However I don't think you will go wrong either way if the cars check out.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:02 PM
Those are kind of opposite extremes in terms of milage!

Condition is far more important than milage IMHO. Low milage isn't always an indication of an easy life for a car; it could be a good bit of use in stop-and-go traffic, short trips, and so forth, which are comparatively rough on the car. High milage usually (but not always) means a lot of comparatively easy highway miles. Either one could be a good dependable car, or a problematic car...it's impossible to tell just from the milage.

Both prices seem rather on the high side to me, the 33K mile car especially. I would have a hard time justifying paying 60% or so of the cost of a brand new car for an economy car that's at least seven years old, doubly so given the improvements made in the Fit since then.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
I just looked on Kelly Blue Book website for a dealer price on a standard 07 Fit with a five speed in good condition. Are either of these cars a Sport model? Condition trumps milage. The fair market price was $6,900.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DrewE
Those are kind of opposite extremes in terms of milage!

Condition is far more important than milage IMHO. Low milage isn't always an indication of an easy life for a car; it could be a good bit of use in stop-and-go traffic, short trips, and so forth, which are comparatively rough on the car. High milage usually (but not always) means a lot of comparatively easy highway miles. Either one could be a good dependable car, or a problematic car...it's impossible to tell just from the milage.

Both prices seem rather on the high side to me, the 33K mile car especially. I would have a hard time justifying paying 60% or so of the cost of a brand new car for an economy car that's at least seven years old, doubly so given the improvements made in the Fit since then.
Good advice.