1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

brake issue,

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 12:55 AM
brake issue,

hello all,
want to check if someone here have brake issue with GD3.
recently after long drive, the problem started.
At first there is weird sound coming from front when braking ( like vibration ) sounds like the brake pad worn out, after checking the brake pad is still in good condition,
now the noise is gone, but new problem occurred, my rear brake left side always get hot ( burning smells )
did service the piston, change new pad, rotor disc skimmed, but after sometimes the brake still jammed, is it problem with the abs system??? or other mechanical parts???
need some feed back

Old 02-25-2015, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Our Fits in the US have drum rear brakes so my advice is based on other vehicles I have worked on.

Usually a dragging brake is caused by a binding caliper. The is no mechanism that retracts the piston in the caliper other that the slight wobble of rotor. So most of the time the problem is the caliper piston itself. The piston can become contaminated with dirt or water due to a defective seal or dirty brake.

The second thing that will cause this problem of not retracting is a restriction in the brake line feeding the cylinder. This restriction is usually caused by inside deterioration of the flexible rubber brake line (hose) near the rear beam (axle) assembly. I has to be a hose that only feeds the left rear wheel because the righ one is working OK. I'm not sure how your rear brakes a plumber back there.

One way to tell iif the caliper is still under pressure is jack up the left wheel enough to clear the ground. Start the vehicle and step on the brake pedal. Release the pedal and then try to rotate the wheel by hand. If it is binding, then immediately open the brake bleeder on the caliper. If brake fluid comes out and the wheel rotates with only a very light drag, then you have a residual pressure problem. If it not binding with the bleeder open then I would replace that brake hose for the left rear wheel.

If you found it still binding, then your problem was not excess residual pressure but instead it is a caliper hanging. The calipers need to be disassembled and cleaned or rebuilt, or replaced.

On your question whether it could be an ABS problem. The answer is yes, but I have never seen that kind of ABS failure. An ABS problem would show up the same as a bad hose in that the excess pressure would be released when you open the caliper bleeder.

I realize that my answer is not Honda Fit/Jazz specific but I hope I helped you some.