1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Should I replace the AT Filter for my 2008 Honda Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:55 AM
Angry Should I replace the AT Filter for my 2008 Honda Sport

Surprise Surprise, I took my car into the dealership to have my fluids checked before making a long drive from TX to LA, and they came back with $3K worth of failures.

This time they said both front lower control arms have failed due to cracked bushings, that my left and right outer tie rods were worn out, that my rear brakes needed servicing, A brake system fluid exchange, an oil change, an alignment after replacing the control arms and tie rods, a transmission fluid service, new HEPA cabin filter(I love how this is a $8 part and behind the glove compartment, but they want $80 to fix it), a new water pump system, and replacing the coolant.

This past February it was a CAT and new O2 sensors for $2500, which I then sought out service elsewhere and had everything done for $650.

I'm having a hell of a time believing most of the items listed in the 1st paragraph is needed. So I'm asking how everyone else is faring.

Currently I'm at 141,000 miles.

I called the dealership today to purchase the AT Fluid and the Filter and they told me to simply do a drain and fill. It was bad for the car to undergo a full flush because it could cause the transmission to fail. Secondly they said not to replace the filter, that it was not needed. What is your experience?

How soon did the water pump fail? Should I go on ahead and replace it?

I have looked into some DIY jobs on the Tie Rods and Lower Control Arms and they seem relatively easy to do. How do I tell if these parts are really failing since Im not a mechanic? Idont want to spend $400 in parts and hours in labor replacing these items if they are not failing. My car is not shimmying, or making and loud knocking noises.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2016, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
AT filter which has a paper element and looks like a fuel filter lasts about 10 years.
The lower control arm rubber bushing are starting cracking after 10 years but usually hold until they are 15 years of age. If there is no squeaks while going over speed bums there is no need to change them.
The rear brake shoes have 1 mm minimum thickness; they should be inspected for cracks
The water pump shaft should have no radial play and about 0.3 mm maximum axial play at the pulley.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctor J
The lower control arm rubber bushing are starting cracking after 10 years but usually hold until they are 15 years of age. If there is no squeaks while going over speed bums there is no need to change them.
ehhhhh, or nah.

All of that stuff is probably due for replacement (except water pump, I dunno on that). Your bushings are old, the rubber is probably long dry. Fluids need to be changed, it all seems routine to me, though the price is high. But if I recall correctly Honda only sells the bushings as complete assemblies which explains the cost (arm is included)

Old 07-28-2016, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
one of my customers has 2008 Accord 2.4 with 215000; there are no cracks in suspension bushing of the car; the struts are leaking though

Old 08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
I say change it, depending on your Milage. I changed mines ATfilter, fluids, and cleaned the magnetic plug when I bought my 07 Fit used. Man, was the plug had a lot of shavings. After changing fluids, drive vehicle for 500 miles or 1000. So inside can rinse around. Change fluid again. This helps clean out all more dirt, shavings or any particles that still remained inside the case. You'll notice shifting is a lot smoother.