1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

AT Fluid additive

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:41 PM
AT Fluid additive

Higuys,

Doyou happen to use any AT CVT additive whenever you replace your AT fluid? Ifyou happen to change the CVT oil regularly then is there really a need to useadditives?

Thanksand hope to hear some of your thoughts.

Cheers

Old 09-08-2016, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
I haven't heard of using any additives with CVT transmissions and honestly I wouldn't want to since Honda CVT transmissions are really picky on fluid type used.

I would stick with using Honda CVT fluid honestly... If you're feeling a bit eager to experiment, maybe consider checking out AmSoil CVT fluid. Just do a bit of research to make sure it or another CVT fluid meet's/exceed's Honda CVT fluid criteria.

Even back when the Fit/Jazz initially started production with CVT transmissions, Honda listed their ATF Z1 as a CVT fluid replacement... A short time passed and even Honda later realized this and only recommend using CVT fluid for CVT equipped models.

ON TOP OF THAT, there are two varients of Honda CVT fluid. CVTF-1 and HCF-2 The GD and GE take the CVTF-1 and the GK would take the HCF-2.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:24 PM
Thanks Hootie ... In the past, I tried using XADO EX120 together with the original Honda CVT. No issues whatsoever, it’s just that XADO is a bit expensive. I do replace my CVT fluid earlier than it should, every 20K, so I think I do not need an additive. P.S. I don’t follow the maintenance schedule of Honda CVT replacement because CVT is a problematic anyways.