Leaking Rain/Water In Cabin - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Old 02-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Leaking Rain/Water In Cabin

There are some pretty old threads on here that address this topic, but none that address the TWO leaks that I'm experiencing.

Leak #1: Passenger footwell. It's soaked. Someone mentioned that the AC compressor's drain line might be off and dumping water in, but that's not it as the car was sitting (read: not running) overnight while it was raining and the floor was soaked.

Leak #2: In the spare tire well. This is a known thing. It's caused by something being wrong with the rubber runners that run along the roof. I'm posting about it again in case someone has come up with a good solution or knows where to find a how to with photos.

Also, if I decide to not tackle this myself, is this a body shop issue, mechanic issue, or trip to the dealership issue?

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 PM

well, with all due respect (to me), I've covered this extensively on these pages. Check out the 5 minute mark on this you tube video showing the stress crack at the upper right (or left) of the hatch, directly below the end of the rubber roof strip where the crack often begins:

Last edited by BurntZ; 02-12-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntZ View Post
well, with all due respect (to me), I've covered this extensively on these pages. Check out second #45 on this you tube video showing the stress crack at the upper right of the hatch, directly below the end of the rubber roof strip where the crack often begins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Onmedfmv0
indeed you have. Iím not sure how I missed this video, but itís exactly what I was needing. Thank you.

Any thoughts about the leak thatís ending up in the passenger foot well? Perhaps a stress crack like the one in the hatch?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 AM

I don't. My first gen fit is dry there. I also don't experience the wet carpet syndrome many second gen owners report whereby the plastic sheet lining the inside of the two rear doors becomes compromised, allowing water to seep on to the rear carpet. I have not read any posts where the front door plastic lining has been compromised.
As for the hatch stress crack, it must have been a factory robot thing because everyone seems to have the issue. Goop it up with your favorite waterproof sealant and voila, no more soggy spare tire nor rusty tire changing tools.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the video. 2nd owner of 08 Fit Sport. 48K miles. All is great except the water issue found at mile 35k approx. After two days of HEAVY rain, 2-4 inches. Spare tire area had about 4" of water. Rear passenger and driver side floor panels also soaked. Removed all carpet from rear due to mildew, mold, and rust. Drilled drain holes in this area as well as in spare tire area. Water gushed out. Threw away particle board hatch floor board covering as it was soaked as well. Cleaned out area, baking soda-ed the area, windows remain open, seats up. Will vac area, spray clear rustoleum, and buy rubber mats.

Vehicle will be in my possession til it no longer runs properly.

Called American Honda - no help. Took vehicle to two dif Honda dealers - no help. Had a reputable water company that specializes in vehicle water issue look at it ($200) - failed, twice!

Will try video. And let know. Right now vehicle reminds me of a Mad Max movie
Old 02-14-2018, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalksp View Post
Leak #1: Passenger footwell. It's soaked. Someone mentioned that the AC compressor's drain line might be off and dumping water in, but that's not it as the car was sitting (read: not running) overnight while it was raining and the floor was soaked.
I am getting water on the front drivers side. There is more than likely drains from the area under the windshield that are plugged up. Came here to see if I can find them. If not will take it to my guy to get him to unplug them (and show me where they are).
Old 02-17-2018, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member

Well it wasn't my drains. Removed some trim on the drivers side and pulled up the carpet and found a chunk of the body seal the size of a 50 cent piece with rust on the back. No idea where it came from. Somewhere I have a seam that is leaking...