1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Leaking Rain/Water In Cabin

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Leaking Rain/Water In Cabin

There are some pretty old threads on here that address this topic, but none that address the TWO leaks that I'm experiencing.

Leak #1: Passenger footwell. It's soaked. Someone mentioned that the AC compressor's drain line might be off and dumping water in, but that's not it as the car was sitting (read: not running) overnight while it was raining and the floor was soaked.

Leak #2: In the spare tire well. This is a known thing. It's caused by something being wrong with the rubber runners that run along the roof. I'm posting about it again in case someone has come up with a good solution or knows where to find a how to with photos.

Also, if I decide to not tackle this myself, is this a body shop issue, mechanic issue, or trip to the dealership issue?

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2018, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
well, with all due respect (to me), I've covered this extensively on these pages. Check out the 5 minute mark on this you tube video showing the stress crack at the upper right (or left) of the hatch, directly below the end of the rubber roof strip where the crack often begins:

Last edited by BurntZ; 02-11-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by BurntZ
well, with all due respect (to me), I've covered this extensively on these pages. Check out second #45 on this you tube video showing the stress crack at the upper right of the hatch, directly below the end of the rubber roof strip where the crack often begins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Onmedfmv0
indeed you have. I’m not sure how I missed this video, but it’s exactly what I was needing. Thank you.

Any thoughts about the leak that’s ending up in the passenger foot well? Perhaps a stress crack like the one in the hatch?

Old 02-11-2018, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
I don't. My first gen fit is dry there. I also don't experience the wet carpet syndrome many second gen owners report whereby the plastic sheet lining the inside of the two rear doors becomes compromised, allowing water to seep on to the rear carpet. I have not read any posts where the front door plastic lining has been compromised.
As for the hatch stress crack, it must have been a factory robot thing because everyone seems to have the issue. Goop it up with your favorite waterproof sealant and voila, no more soggy spare tire nor rusty tire changing tools.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the video. 2nd owner of 08 Fit Sport. 48K miles. All is great except the water issue found at mile 35k approx. After two days of HEAVY rain, 2-4 inches. Spare tire area had about 4" of water. Rear passenger and driver side floor panels also soaked. Removed all carpet from rear due to mildew, mold, and rust. Drilled drain holes in this area as well as in spare tire area. Water gushed out. Threw away particle board hatch floor board covering as it was soaked as well. Cleaned out area, baking soda-ed the area, windows remain open, seats up. Will vac area, spray clear rustoleum, and buy rubber mats.

Vehicle will be in my possession til it no longer runs properly.

Called American Honda - no help. Took vehicle to two dif Honda dealers - no help. Had a reputable water company that specializes in vehicle water issue look at it ($200) - failed, twice!

Will try video. And let know. Right now vehicle reminds me of a Mad Max movie

Old 02-14-2018, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Globalksp
Leak #1: Passenger footwell. It's soaked. Someone mentioned that the AC compressor's drain line might be off and dumping water in, but that's not it as the car was sitting (read: not running) overnight while it was raining and the floor was soaked.
I am getting water on the front drivers side. There is more than likely drains from the area under the windshield that are plugged up. Came here to see if I can find them. If not will take it to my guy to get him to unplug them (and show me where they are).

Old 02-17-2018, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
Well it wasn't my drains. Removed some trim on the drivers side and pulled up the carpet and found a chunk of the body seal the size of a 50 cent piece with rust on the back. No idea where it came from. Somewhere I have a seam that is leaking...

Old 01-08-2020, 04:50 PM
I'm having the same issue re: front passenger foot well. Did you ever solve this?

Old 01-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Whack Jack
I'm having the same issue re: front passenger foot well. Did you ever solve this?
I didn't, well, not fully.

Just last week, after weeks of rain here in LA, I finally bought the silicone and patched the cracks in the hatch area. See the photos for details and such.

That said, it wasn't only the rear that was getting water. My passenger front and rear carpets were wet too. It hasn't yet rained since I patched the cracks, but, I'm assuming there are more cracks causing that carpet wetness.

I don't have a drive nor garage and am limited on space in which to work on the car. I'd love to simply tear the interior panels and carpet out and find the leaks and fix, but, that seems a daunting task working on the side of the road in the canyon. That said, it has really killed the interior of my car and will probably result in me passing the car on for a newer, less leaky model. Something I do not want to do.

Photos are of the damage to the rear of the car, the cracks found, as well as my terrible job sealing them up. I failed arts and crafts

Old 01-08-2020, 05:28 PM
Check this recently updated thread for images of a fix: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1st-...leak-hunt.html

Old 01-09-2020, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Damage like shown is best to be fixed with real body sealant, Silicone is good for the small cracks only. My car has been leaking since 2010 (as soon as warranty expired). I've recently scored a/c duct slash automotive panel seal and used it on one side. Works good so far.
ChemLink M-1
Structural adhesive sealant

Old 01-09-2020, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
I kinda did. Took it to my guy who cleaned the drains. Said it wasn't plugged but did it anyway. Problem ended up going away. So maybe it was the drain afterall.

Unfortunately I traded the fit in for a new Civic hatch I miss the fit but I LOVE the Civic. Such an upgrade. We are due for another car in a few years so I may get a fit again then. Or maybe another Civic. They are just so much fun!

Old 01-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I had the water in the hatch when I first bought the car used. Used the clear flexseal that costco had on promo, which surprisingly worked well. Hatch has been dry since. Still can't figure out where the water is coming in the front passenger floor. I've removed the carpet and foam and applying the flexseal on anything that looks like a small crack or hole.

Car's a beater when I bought it, so I don't mind running it without carpet and insulation on the front passenger floor. Don't want to have wet carpet and the mold that will come with it.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:10 PM
I bought my 07 in August and noticed a small amount of water near the spare tire and a slight mildewy smell. I figured it was from the dealer prepping/washing the car but after researching on this board, I sealed up the cracks just as shown in Globalksp’s pics and haven’t gotten a drop so far this rain season. Smell is gone also. There is also a thread somewhere here that talks about leaks coming thru the doors and shows which holes to plug up.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:38 PM
fixed water leak front passenger floor board

After a few days of heavy rain, looks like there are no more water leaks into the front passenger floor board.

I never did positively determine the source, but started sealing anything that looked like a crack or rust. However, someone kindly posted a picture in another thread that inspired my decision to seal immediately in front of the speaker on the right front door.

I then sealed this area which I believe is the lower part of the firewall. I decided to do so since I couldn't positively identify the source of the leak and it looked like water could possibly come from there. Besides, it looked a little off color.

This area is underneath the gear shift and separates the passenger from the driver. While it doesn't make sense, at least gravity wise, that it would be the source of the leak, there was some rust meaning moisture coming from somewhere. So since I'm already here, I decided to seal that as well. Even if it's not the source of cabin flooding, I figured I would at least try to deprive the surface of some oxygen.

So my blindly sealing anything that looked off color resulted in no more cabin leaks. I wouldn't have known where to start without this site and the many different people that posted, so my thanks to everyone here.

I wound up using probably a third or less of a can of clear Flex Seal.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:59 AM
5 Year Member
my '02 SI had a similar problem , was hard to figure out , turns out , it was the hinge itself .on the SI the hinge was bolted to the body , not welded.
water was leaking past it , and running through the shell of the c pillar and ended up collecting ( in large amounts ) in the spare tire well .unfortunately
i never even knew it was leaking until i had to change a tire almost 2 years on , then another few months of periodically sopping it up before i nailed
down the problem .by then it had developed rust issues that turned out to be irreversible . .had tried grinding it down and resealing it through the years
(had the car a good 16 years , 240 miles ) but it finally rotted through ,, it's a stressed section , has an important cross member welded underneath it .
was a crying shame to get rid of it , the car ran great . got a new fit in '18 , i like it alot , but i do do keep my eye on that spare tire well

Old 12-23-2020, 12:33 PM
Water leaking into front passenger side floor

Hi,

First off, I can't believe Honda has not fixed this issue after so many years of people complaining about this.

I have a 2019 Honda Fit and saw about 3 weeks ago that my passenger side floor mat was soaking wet. Yes it's fall in Portland, Oregon, sure, but I hadn't left any windows open.

I finally took it into the dealer and was told that my Sunroof drains were blocked and therefore leaking water into the car. The service tech even asked me where I was parking because it might result in debris in the drains. Ah, what?

My car has 17,000 miles and is still under warranty, but I was told it would cost me $450 to get the water out and $600 if I wanted the interior sanitized to prevent mold.

I asked if they could just unclog the drains, and they said they could do that for $150.

I am complaining to Honda, looking for a new car and recommend everyone complains to Honda too.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by melissaelvis
Hi,

First off, I can't believe Honda has not fixed this issue after so many years of people complaining about this.

I have a 2019 Honda Fit and saw about 3 weeks ago that my passenger side floor mat was soaking wet. Yes it's fall in Portland, Oregon, sure, but I hadn't left any windows open.

I finally took it into the dealer and was told that my Sunroof drains were blocked and therefore leaking water into the car. The service tech even asked me where I was parking because it might result in debris in the drains. Ah, what?

My car has 17,000 miles and is still under warranty, but I was told it would cost me $450 to get the water out and $600 if I wanted the interior sanitized to prevent mold.

I asked if they could just unclog the drains, and they said they could do that for $150.

I am complaining to Honda, looking for a new car and recommend everyone complains to Honda too.
As an owner of a 2007 Fit with the leaky hatch whose interior is still in need of replacing because of this (mechanically the car will last another decade or three), I’d love to see a class action lawsuit on this, but...yea. Not going to happen.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:59 PM
Front passenger side water pooling on floor.

Originally Posted by Syco54645
I kinda did. Took it to my guy who cleaned the drains. Said it wasn't plugged but did it anyway. Problem ended up going away. So maybe it was the drain afterall.

Unfortunately I traded the fit in for a new Civic hatch I miss the fit but I LOVE the Civic. Such an upgrade. We are due for another car in a few years so I may get a fit again then. Or maybe another Civic. They are just so much fun!
Hi new here. I owned a 2015 Honda Fit. It rains a lot here in BC. I noticed water has pooled on the passenger floor after it rained heavily overnight. I consulted youTube, forums like this, and so far I have not been able to solve this issue. I took the door panel out to see if the drains on the door were plugged. They were not. I checked the upper corner of the floor, was not wet. I checked the door seals and it did not look compromised. Pulled the carpet off and gotten rid of the underlay cause it was completely soaked and smells mouldy. I left the carpet upright until I could figure out where the water is coming from. Consulted with Honda and the parts guy who was quite helpful and honest, suggested to check the sunroof. The drain might be plugged which causes the water to overflow somewhere. I was going to replace the door seals and drain gutter which cost $179 Canadian but the guy suggested to check the sunroof drain first. Anyone here had issues like mine? Appreciate if uou can share. I will do the soak test today and will let you know how it turns out.

Last edited by Fonzo711; 04-11-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:41 PM
Passenger Floorboard Flooded after evening of rain

Originally Posted by Fonzo711
Hi new here. I owned a 2015 Honda Fit. It rains a lot here in BC. I noticed water has pooled on the passenger floor after it rained heavily overnight. I consulted youTube, forums like this, and so far I have not been able to solve this issue. I took the door panel out to see if the drains on the door were plugged. They were not. I checked the upper corner of the floor, was not wet. I checked the door seals and it did not look compromised. Pulled the carpet off and gotten rid of the underlay cause it was completely soaked and smells mouldy. I left the carpet upright until I could figure out where the water is coming from. Consulted with Honda and the parts guy who was quite helpful and honest, suggested to check the sunroof. The drain might be plugged which causes the water to overflow somewhere. I was going to replace the door seals and drain gutter which cost $179 Canadian but the guy suggested to check the sunroof drain first. Anyone here had issues like mine? Appreciate if uou can share. I will do the soak test today and will let you know how it turns out.
I am also having this issue, did anyone find a solution? The moldiness is odd.

Quick Reply: Leaking Rain/Water In Cabin