1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Running w/ Unplugged EGR

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:03 AM
Running w/ Unplugged EGR

I’m having a problem lately with my Fit 1.3 iDSi 2004 CVT , I noticed when accelerating in low rpm i hear pinging or tapping noise then the engine starts to jerk a bit and feels like its losing power momentarily.

Now I decided to unplugged the EGR and noticed a big difference in performance, it runs smooth and no pinging noise however I only get a pinging noise running on the highway passing 2000-3000rpm.

My question is it ok running without/unplug EGR? Will it damage my engine and cause overheating? (as expected CEL turned on after running a couple of miles)

Old 11-28-2018, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Mmmm you'd have to google this for more info, but my vague recollection from working on my 1989 Buick in high school is, unplugging certain sensors can force the engine to operate "blind" for example adding more fuel that otherwise would be needed just in case. So you might temporarily make your engine problem better, but your fuel economy will surely get worse and you will breathing a lot more NOx than is healthy. I don't think you can damage the car in the short run, but it's possible you might get deposits built up over time - it's smart to fix it sooner or later, and if your country has emissions requirements, the yearly check will force you to do it. And, the good news is that if you A/B test that sensor you can be pretty confident it's faulty, so you can just go buy a new one and pop it on yourself ...

Old 11-28-2018, 10:52 PM
i see, I did try test and replace the EGR i borrowed from my friend's car (same GD1 1.3 Fit) but unfortunately the problem still exists (noise and slight jerk). Is there Any way to check if which sensor is malfunctioning ? (knock sensor, O2 sensor, etc.) Since I don't get any CEL at all when EGR is plugged in.