2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Catch can (optional)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Catch can (optional)

Hey everyone, here to help the 2nd gen engine mod page grow!!!

Ok, today we are talking about catch cans. Catch cans are a very user optional and opionated topic. THEY WILL NOT ADD POWER OR ANYTHING LIKE IT... They are purely to "in theory" allow your car to last longer and to "in theory" allow some after market parts to last longer too. (engine mods, and intake mods). So dont get any ideas and i dont want to hear any complaining

The point of a catch can is to help filter oil, sludge, metal particals, and carbon that can get back into your engine via the PCV blow off valve. The PCV blow off valve is the valve that is located on the upper right hand side of the engine block. This valve has a hose attached to it that runs directly from the block to the intake. (it is the upper of the two hoses that connect to the stock air box via that bent metal thing / it is the only hose connected directly to the intake in the k&n typhoon pakage )

Not one company makes a car specific catch can! They are all universal and pretty straight forward to install. One end in, one end out kind of deal. I very much suggest making your own seeing as they run anywhere from the $50s for a generic one, to well over $200 for the Greddy ones.

As i said before this is a very user optional mod, some people choose to leave it alone which isn't technically bad, some people choose to add one of those little beather filters which also adds to the visual apperance of your car because they come in different colors, and then there are the people like me who choose to use a catch can. i chose catch can because there are still alot of combustable materials in the blow off, its just a matter of filtering the junk out and staight shooting the good stuff back into the intake.

catch cans in addition to being a mod themselves can also easily be modded, i have seen dragsters with catch can that have a breather filter built on top of them to allow the fumes to mix with air, which allow them to flow smoother. I have seen actual filters put inside the catch can itself to increase the "catching" of oil, sludge, and metal shavings.

As i said before this is a very user optional and opinionated topic, weather or not you choose to mod this is up to you and at your digretion. neither i nor fit freaks takes any responsibility for what you choose to do to your car. weather or not you think they work is your opinion. I have had gunk at the bottom of my can to prove it.

Neither I nor fitfreaks.net take any responsibility for any mods that YOU choose do to YOUR car, we are simply hear to give a very basic understanding of any mod. if you have any futher questions please feel free to contact me via Fit4flight.

Have fun, be safe, and choose FIT
p.s. will post pics in future

Last edited by Fit4Flight; 06-15-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:26 PM

engine shot

front of catch can

open catch can with downstem to make sure particals fall to the bottom of the can

2 weeks after cleaning, this is what gets back into you intake, now does a catch can seem neccesary?

Last edited by Fit4Flight; 06-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Doesn't the pcv valve capture all of that, thus it being a "service item"

I think the contraption looks cool and I've heard of em', but I need to check into this a bit more, where did you get yours?

Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Yep the theory on catch cans is sound.

I'm interested in seeing just what makes it in there though. Thanks for the photos of the particles.

Where do you dispose the catch can's contents?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 PM
What particular catch can is that?

Originally Posted by Klasse Act
Doesn't the pcv valve capture all of that, thus it being a "service item"
PCV is just a one-way valve, it keeps crankcase ventilation from reversing itself under sudden pressure changes (e.g. closing the throttle). It doesn't filter anything, or stop any particulates or heavy oil vapor from flowing into the intake stream.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
Hi,
I think it filters something as let the heavier particles, metal, to settle and oil to condense on the bottom of the can. Isn't it the same principle of fractional distillation?

Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 AM
If catch cans were truely necessary the manufacturer would have put them in at the factory. Honda engines are well known for their reliability. I have seen numberous engine fires that were caused by "home brewed" catch cans. Thanks, but it's not for me.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 AM
5 Year Member
"If catch cans were truely necessary the manufacturer would have put them in at the factory."

Following this principle: why are standard OEM rims so heavy? Why standard spark plugs are not iridium? Why alternator pulley (so we stands off of the harmonic vibration dilemma) are so heavy? Many questions but one simple answer: because of cost, IMHO of course.

Ciao

Old 06-17-2010, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzista
"If catch cans were truely necessary the manufacturer would have put them in at the factory."

Following this principle: why are standard OEM rims so heavy? Why standard spark plugs are not iridium? Why alternator pulley (so we stands off of the harmonic vibration dilemma) are so heavy? Many questions but one simple answer: because of cost, IMHO of course.

Ciao
our standard plugs ARE iridium actually. but catch cans arent necessary for the function of the motor, motor can go for hundreds of thousands of miles without a catch can.

are lighter wheels necessary for the car to function?

all these things are just luxuries, and not needed for a car to function.

Last edited by feared; 06-17-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jazzista

Ciao
I can only comment on heavy OEM wheels and to that I have one word....POTHOLES

Old 06-18-2010, 08:37 AM
First i would like to thank everyone for their engagement on this topic, didn't expect this much return so early.
Alot of your questions and comments have already been awnsered. It is optional not necessary. THE THREAD HAS OPTIONAL IN ITS TITLE. come on guys. The pcv blow off in absolutely no way filters anything, this is why some choose to buy the little breather filters which im almost positive everyone has seen at one point or another. Im not going to lie, catch can do have a possibility to catch fire seeing that they do contain oil, carbon and combustable fumes, but then again there is also the chance that the drive belt will snap off and smack you in the face. I have been in the situation with a friend (not because of a catch can but because it was an 80s bronco), and that is why the first thing i buy for my car is always a fire extinguisher, you never know when you will need one and they will save your life and car.

Last edited by Fit4Flight; 06-18-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 AM
as far as wheels and tires are concerned,.. thats why i roll on black enkie ev5 17s running on nitto neo gens. ... but that is beside the point.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Type 100
Where do you dispose the catch can's contents?
i clean it every time i change my oil and dispose of it the same way, the recycling center.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by feared
our standard plugs ARE iridium actually. but catch cans arent necessary for the function of the motor, motor can go for hundreds of thousands of miles without a catch can.

are lighter wheels necessary for the car to function?

all these things are just luxuries, and not needed for a car to function.

lol a car can "function" on 3cyls so y isnt that standard? cars can run while burning oil is that needed? i think that factory does a good job but there is always room for improvement. honda isnt goin to install a 100$+ part on every car they make, it will cost million in the long run even ford jipped out 10 cents on a sensor and now i see common problems with them

Old 07-23-2011, 02:42 PM
man, it would be great if someone could make one for our Fit. it doesn't look tacky and you don't have to worry about dumping the blow by caught in the system.

GrimmSpeed

Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 PM
Why would you want to pay someone for a model specific catch can? Go get one from Moroso or Summit or any of the hundreds of catch cans that will work on the car.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 PM
it's california. cops/chp would send you to get REF'd over a large catch can in a heartbeat.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM
So get a small one. And in any event its not OE, so you get dinged regardless. Why would an aftermarket vehicle specific one even matter? All you are going to do is pay 3x what you would normally for the same damn thing.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:58 PM
well if you want to get all the blow-by, you would have to run two small ones. then you would have to periodically check em and dump whatever is caught. the one i linked to is straightforward. install it and don't worry about it. but it doesn't matter right? they dont make one for the Fit.

$3 catch can
use a fuel filter
Install a catch can for your DSM (2G)

fuel filter too ghetto for you? home depot mod. get your front lip too while your at it.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...front-lip.html
How-To: Oil Catch Can & PCV Leak Stop Valve - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Are you telling me how to do this? Or just sharing in general?

You could just get a proper baffled catch can (of whatever capacity fits your needs) for intake pipe, PCV and the valve cover instead of two seperate cans.

Some of them even have provisions for segregated coolant overflow.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 07-24-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Catch can (optional)