2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Has anyone tried a remote turbo on the ge8?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Has anyone tried a remote turbo on the ge8?

I was curious if anyone has tried a remote turbo on a ge8. I would think the ge8 would be a good candidate for this set up. I'm sure people will say this is rice, but I would think a remote turbo is better than no turbo. would it be worth it?

I have never had a vehicle that I felt the need for more power like I do with the fit...Its not too bad but does have me wanting more. After being on this forum I would like to learn more about tuning and I think my first turbo project will be on a 1982 diesel vw vanagon...vintage vws warm my heart. If anything goes wrong it won't matter as much as my fit that I owe over 10k on.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Are you referring to a rear mount? Like at the back of the car?

Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
yep...a ricer special in place of the muffler.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
I don't see where you'd put it. And still trying to figure it out. The STS Place I just looked at isnt very detailed.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:12 PM
I don't consider that "ricer" but it is not ideal to be honest.

STS usually works on large displacement engines with no room in the bay, with the only other option being the trans tunnel or wedged up against the firewall.

Then they use a relatively tight turbine housing on a medium sized compressor.

For the time and trouble you would be better having relocated your battery to the trunk, getting Bi$i's manifold, a side mount exhaust manifold like Felix's.

To rear mount you would have to run a couple dozen feet of oil line, something like a tilton diff oil pump, a seperate cooler and all sorts of nonsense.

A good deal of the exhaust energy is lost by the time you get to the muffler. Response would be poor, and overall more inefficient and expensive than if you had just done the above.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I have heard them called remote-mount turbochargers.

It would require a small turbo to have the quickest spool time. I would think it would produce low boost and low boost would be better than no boost. You could get rid of the cat and run 3" pipes to the turbo...This would be relatively easy to switch back to stock for inspections. You may...because of the length of the intake run get away with not having an intercooler. I would think a separate oil tank and pump just for the turbo could be an option.

The thought of hacking up a car I owe so much on makes me queasy. This set up removed would leave no foot print on the vehicle.

You the man dsm and if you say it wouldn't be worth it...I would not do it.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:56 PM
It is not what I would do personally for the cost and complexity vs. power produced, but it is certainly do-able.

Whatever route you choose to go, I would be happy to help where possible.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
thanks...DSM

Old 07-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Running a 3" on a fit to power a remote mount turbo will not work out to great.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
ive been reading up on rear mount turbos for a while now, and ive read that if they are setup properly they can be very responsive with minimal lag. it all just depends on how big the turbo is. for the fit you would probably want to run a tiny turbo but it would allow spooling to be very quick. although there is alot of piping it is most likely doable. ive been looking into doing this since its easier to build from scratch, but ive also been looking at building a normal turbo.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
A good deal of the exhaust energy is lost by the time you get to the muffler. Response would be poor, and overall more inefficient and expensive than if you had just done the above.
This.

Turbochargers work better the hotter the exhaust gasses are. The gasses cool pretty dramatically by the time the reach the turbocharger. You are reducing efficiency before the turbo even gets any chance to work.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Who cares if it lags a bit. People always bitch about the down side of something different just because its not the "norm" if you ask me, if dsm is not raging disappointment right now and reading the OP the riot act, then it must be a half way decent idea. Thankfully, our foremost boost member is a reliable source

Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wontfit
Who cares if it lags a bit. People always bitch about the down side of something different just because its not the "norm" if you ask me, if dsm is not raging disappointment right now and reading the OP the riot act, then it must be a half way decent idea. Thankfully, our foremost boost member is a reliable source
Expressing the downsides of something is not bitching about it because it is something different. Speaking of which, different isn't exactly the term I would use. Companies like STS have been building and selling remote mount turbo setups for well over a decade.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Funkster
This.

Turbochargers work better the hotter the exhaust gasses are. The gasses cool pretty dramatically by the time the reach the turbocharger. You are reducing efficiency before the turbo even gets any chance to work.
I think it has much more to do with the speed or pressure of the exhaust than the temperature.

if you could get the exact same pressure and flow with significantly lower temps, I'm pretty sure it would works the same... it's just exhaust is hot by the nature of it being the result of a combustion process.

The closer you are to the primary combustion chamber, the less time the gas has had to expand. All that creates plenty of pressure. The speed comes in as the high pressure gas is rushing towards a lower pressure zone on the other side of the turbocharger (or really, the outside air at the end of the exhaust pipe).

If you were to completely insulate the exhaust pipe to keep the temperature the same all the way to the end of the exhaust pipe... you'd find there's still an efficiency drop in the turbo. Because you'd find that the pressure drops quite a bit because of the increased volume it can expand into.

Um......

uh...

time to go eat.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 PM
You're a clever guy Goobs and I like you so all I am going to suggest is that your thesis may need a wee bit more research.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Funkster
Expressing the downsides of something is not bitching about it because it is something different. Speaking of which, different isn't exactly the term I would use. Companies like STS have been building and selling remote mount turbo setups for well over a decade.
it IS different from the "norm" most tuners are used to.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
it IS different from the "norm" most tuners are used to.
You are right it is different from the "norm" and maybe there is a reason it isn't all that popular. As DSM pointed out it is usually done as a last resort to guys who have no room in the engine bay (My Camaro). There isn't a ton of reason to do it on a Fit. You will spend more money, more time and generally give up some performance.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
agreed. very expensive and probably only do-able by someone like DSM, i just get so tired of hearing people shut down ideas before they grow wings. look at the d-series.org guys. back when i had my CRX, the idea of turbo'ing the d15b2 was considered "dumb" , and now, because some hillbilly decided to try out some junkyard parts, we can now do a junkyard HMT setup for under 500$. I LOVE how i can push 200hp with a simple DSM turbo, volvo FMIC, some mandrel tubing, and a chipped OEM ecu and on STOCK RODS. i love it. thank you hillbilly with the fortitude to not listen to negative comments.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
agreed. very expensive and probably only do-able by someone like DSM, i just get so tired of hearing people shut down ideas before they grow wings. look at the d-series.org guys. back when i had my CRX, the idea of turbo'ing the d15b2 was considered "dumb" , and now, because some hillbilly decided to try out some junkyard parts, we can now do a junkyard HMT setup for under 500$. I LOVE how i can push 200hp with a simple DSM turbo, volvo FMIC, some mandrel tubing, and a chipped OEM ecu and on STOCK RODS. i love it. thank you hillbilly with the fortitude to not listen to negative comments.
I guess I just don't feel that is the point. No one is saying forced induction on a Fit is dumb. It is being said that going about it an inefficient and illogical manner isn't the smartest idea in the world.

I guess budget builds are nothing new to me and it certainly doesn't take a hillbilly to try them. There are 500hp LS turbo setups with less than $1000 in them.

Regardless, the pertinent information has been provided to the OP and at this point we are just cluttering the thread.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You're a clever guy Goobs and I like you so all I am going to suggest is that your thesis may need a wee bit more research.
um...

uh...

I'll be honest... after that post, I really felt like deleting my post.

You're right, it is a thesis (so to speak) based on bits and pieces of what little I know.

I feel like I "overstepped" my bounds... so that being said... I think I'll remove myself from my conversation.

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried a remote turbo on the ge8?