2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

Transmission Swap GE8

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Transmission Swap GE8

I really have no clue on what I need but I was wondering if fellow fit members could help me out? I have a 2011 Fit Sport model with an automatic transmission. I would like to know what I need to do for a complete transmission swap to an manual 5speed? Maybe an ECU, ACU, tranny .... and what else thanks a lot for the help!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Very intrusive.. You need the transmission,mt mount, mt Ecu,clutch pedal assembly etc it would cost alot. I wanted to do this to my fit as well!!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Trade it in. Honestly that is your best bet. Transmission swap is too much work. IMO I swapped a civic to manual and that was a headache I couldn't imagine on a newer car

Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 AM
how much money do you think it would cost roughly?

Old 12-12-2011, 01:19 AM
Not worth it. Trade it in.

The work and cost are not going to be worth it. But of course you are going to argue and insist you will do it anyways. So carry on.

For the cost of a trans swap + trade in you could snag a sport MT and have money spare.

You will be nickel and dimed to death on something like this.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:23 AM
oh okay! well only thing is that i am still paying the car off :/

Also you think its possible to trade in a 2011 Honda Fit Sport A/T for a 2011 Honda Fit Sport M/T? I got the car in Aug 22, 2011, and did lots of the mods to it so far, i have about 8.5k miles on it

Old 12-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by Misfyt
oh okay! well only thing is that i am still paying the car off :/

Also you think its possible to trade in a 2011 Honda Fit Sport A/T for a 2011 Honda Fit Sport M/T? I got the car in Aug 22, 2011, and did lots of the mods to it so far, i have about 8.5k miles on it
Part out the mods, return to stock. Only 8.5k miles? You're in good shape provided you haven't dinged/dented/scratched the interior or exterior.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Also, I heard it's hard to find a M/T fit ... What do you think? CBP 2011 M/T please :P

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Part out the mods, return to stock. Only 8.5k miles? You're in good shape provided you haven't dinged/dented/scratched the interior or exterior.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Check out a few different dealers, the worst they can do is say no or offer you less than you are willing to take.

You would be diving into a whole world of hurt to simply change stock transmissions on a stock Fit though.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Could you elaborate on what you said about them offering me less?

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Check out a few different dealers, the worst they can do is say no or offer you less than you are willing to take.

You would be diving into a whole world of hurt to simply change stock transmissions on a stock Fit though.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 AM
?

Basically, when you go to make the trade, they may offer you a number you don't like. In which case you move on to the next dealership.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Could you elaborate on what you said about them offering me less?
He means they probably won't give you as much as you think you should get. The dealership will try to low ball you as much as possible in order to maximize their profits.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Yeah thanks! That's what I meant. Am I allowed to trade in a car, that I am still paying off?

Originally Posted by Jamy
He means they probably won't give you as much as you think you should get. The dealership will try to low ball you as much as possible in order to maximize their profits.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator
If the trade in value is Equal or greater then the loan the yes you can trade it. If your soon a trade for another fit you might be able to even just do a trade and transfer the loan over the the new Fit, not really sure how all that works though

Old 01-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Still trying to do this

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Have you been to a dealer yet? You just have to go and get numbers from them. Like everyone said, it would be much cheaper and easier than converting yours to a manual.

You CAN trade in a car that you are paying on. You can even trade in a car that you leased and it is very simple on your end. The dealership does all of the work. If you are satisfied with their proposal, they will send a check to the lender that holds your title/car loan to pay off the car. They will then apply any positive equity or negative equity toward your loan on the new vehicle.

If I were in your shoes, I would put your car entirely back to stock and save the parts of the next vehicle. Then find a 2012 Fit manual of your color choice at a local dealership. I would tell them up front that your goal is to leave there with a 2012 manual Fit and you are willing to leave there with the same exact payment and term that you started with on your current Fit.

So, hypothetically, lets say your original loan was for 60 months at $300/month. I would tell them you will do the same deal with your current car as trade and see how close they get. Stay firm that you want the same payment and length of term as the original. If they come back with something else, ask them to tell you how much you would need to put down to have the same payment and term.

You will then know in real money what it is costing you. Maybe they will come back and say $1,000 down and you have the same payment and term. Then you know that switching to a year newer car with a manual would cost you $1,000.

Unless you started with negative equity in your current car, I can promise you that the number will be significantly lower than the price of auto/manual conversion. One plus you have is the auto is worth more than the manual. That will help your cause. Also, used car values are the highest they have ever been. That will help.

Good luck and let me know if you need clarification. I have bought and sold a lot of cars, plus have been a car salesman so I know the game from both sides.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Why did you buy the A/T in the first place only 5 months ago if you didn't want one?

You are going to get an expensive lesson. Go to any dealer and tell them you screwed up and they will just rub their hands and take your money.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
Why did you buy the A/T in the first place only 5 months ago if you didn't want one?

You are going to get an expensive lesson. Go to any dealer and tell them you screwed up and they will just rub their hands and take your money.
They might get lucky. Used cars are in very short supply and Honda's hold their value better than any other make. It would be worth a try to me to get what I want.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Can someone list all the parts and part #'s for a complete tranny swap? Thanks!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Can someone list all the parts and part #'s for a complete tranny swap? Thanks!
What you are asking would take someone days to complete/compile. I could be wrong, but I doubt anyone is going to be willing to do that much work. If you are really serious about this endeavor, I highly recommend finding a wrecked Fit with a manual to do the swap. There are sooooo many small parts that you would be nickel and dimed to death with $5-10 parts. The transmission, clutch assembly, clutch pedal, shifter, clutch master cylinder, axles, ecu, etc are the major components, but there are countless small ones that are needed.

Quick Reply: Transmission Swap GE8