2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

51r Duracell Battery from Batteries Plus Fits in my 2011 Honda Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:12 PM
51r battery upgrade

Hello guys!!!! Just replaced my battery with 51r
Please watch my video.
Thank you

Old 02-25-2014, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
It looks close to the air filter. Is it rubbing?

Neat install otherwise. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Black3sr
It looks close to the air filter. Is it rubbing?

Neat install otherwise. Thanks.
NO it's seats perfectly ! u also can install heat shell around batter

Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 AM
5 Year Member
Very little price difference between the standard-type 51R and 151R. The Odyssey batteries are $100 more @ $230. Not sure if there is any benefit going Odyssey. Too bad there isn't a "bronco" sized 51R versus the "pony" which seems to be the 151R. My regular-sized riding lawnmower has a bigger battery.

I'll probably change the battery before "Winter #4".

Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Also got the 51R Duracell, good battery, and the folks at Batteryplus installed it in about 5 minutes. And, only cost about 100 bucks! (Located next to the AA's lol)

Last edited by SBFT09; 03-03-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Just changed my original battery (~50k miles, 3 years) with the Kirkland 51r after I was getting flickering lights on starts. Installed without any mods to the car; just took out the tray and re-worked the wires. Looks just like OP and starts up great. I hope this lasts 5+ years.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Pay attention to your light and closing door correctly man. Original size is just fine.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dfvfit10
Pay attention to your light and closing door correctly man. Original size is just fine.
Sorry if this sounds rude, but:

1. Try reading the entire thread.
2. Try posting something useful.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Just a quick question.. I just got my 09 fit sport a week ago , and notice especially at night, my dash and headlights flicker. Just once but it happens quite often. Seeing how the battery is so tiny I was just wondering if this is a common thing.. Regardless , I will be doing this upgrade as living in northern mn , I don't think this battery has a chance next winter when its 30 below, when it struggles lately and itsbeen in the teens and low 20s..

Also I have read this thread and a few others, but will ALL 51r batteries work, or are some different sizes? And will I for sure need a positive terminal extension?

Thanks everyone, and its great to be part of the community.

Matt

Old 03-23-2014, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Flickering lights is pretty normal, depending on what else is happening (A/C cycling). All hondas share this idiosyncrasy it seems to some extent.

However if the battery in your '09 is original (YUASA brand is a clue it's original, but it could have been replaced at Honda) you're due for a new battery anyway.

51R is a size designation. How well this fits depends on your willingness to modify things. 151R is the OE size and does fine even in Alaska and Edmonton from anecdotal accounts.

If you tend to forget and leave your lights on, or let it sit for long periods the larger 51R may save your butt.

NAPA sells 151Rs for about $90 after trade-in of old "core" battery.

Old 03-23-2014, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Just like OP, I didn't need to buy anything other than the battery to make this work. It's a super tight fit and a terminal extension may be more secure, but I was able to tighten mine pretty good.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Steve244

[snip]

51R is a size designation. How well this fits depends on your willingness to modify things. 151R is the OE size and does fine even in Alaska and Edmonton from anecdotal accounts.

If you tend to forget and leave your lights on, or let it sit for long periods the larger 51R may save your butt.

And if you do neither, and your battery still needs to be replaced -- TWICE -- within the first 30,000 miles, you may justifiably be reluctant to buy yet another undersized battery for your Fit.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JonStewartMill
And if you do neither, and your battery still needs to be replaced -- TWICE -- within the first 30,000 miles, you may justifiably be reluctant to buy yet another undersized battery for your Fit.
I wouldn't say the Fit's battery is undersized. It's the right size for the majority of owners.

Your batteries were probably sulfated. This occurs from sitting around too long without being fully charged. It reduces the battery's capacity. The solution is either a larger battery or addressing whatever is causing the sulfation.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys. I thought the flickering was probably from the smaller battery, and its not a major thing , just something I never noticed in my other (larger ) cars. I'm sure compressors , radiator fans etc could do that easily in the fit

As far as the battery, is there one that comes recommended ? Obviously there are tons of them out there, but has one been considered the best, for performance and ease of install ( no modding, adding extentions etc )

Old 03-24-2014, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by comatoast
Thanks guys. I thought the flickering was probably from the smaller battery, and its not a major thing , just something I never noticed in my other (larger ) cars. I'm sure compressors , radiator fans etc could do that easily in the fit

As far as the battery, is there one that comes recommended ? Obviously there are tons of them out there, but has one been considered the best, for performance and ease of install ( no modding, adding extentions etc )
151R from NAPA. It's quite understated in black and the NAPA logo faces the rear. Two thumbs up. (about $90 at your local NAPA parts store including trade).

There really aren't tons out there. The major parts chains usually carry one the right size, but they tend towards $140. There aren't appreciable differences in technology. Maybe warranty. I forget what NAPA guarantees. The NAPA version is made in South Korea for what that's worth.

The local Honda dealer wanted $130, but others are reporting less. That's probably the first place to check.

Last edited by Steve244; 03-24-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks. But was looking more towards the 51r. Seems to be the same price if not a little less from the places I've been looking. Just want to fit something in there without any ( if possible ) modifications

Old 03-24-2014, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by comatoast
Thanks. But was looking more towards the 51r. Seems to be the same price if not a little less from the places I've been looking. Just want to fit something in there without any ( if possible ) modifications
the 51R will not fit without modifications.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Right. I see its a tight fit and the battery holder / has to be removed.. But do all 51r batteries fit? Or will I need a positive extension, depending on what battery I choose..

Also I'll just ask this here quick to avoid starting another thread. But what seems to be the best vendor for parts, accessories etc for the car. Would like to do a few little things, led interior lights, being one but just to personalize it a bit

Old 03-24-2014, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
You'll either need to hack up the battery tray (as the OP did) and mount it diagonally, or remove the stock air-box, plastic tray surround and install an aftermarket intake to make room for the positive terminal block. It may be possible to mount it square, just discarding the plastic tray surround, but this would require a rube-goldberg positive terminal connection. I haven't seen anyone avoid this without removing the stock airbox.

All 51R batteries are the exact same dimensions. Costco has been mentioned as having good prices (membership required). Shop around online for good local prices. 51Rs are used in a bunch of cars including Civics so they're common.

I like College Hills Honda for Honda accessories. I get maintenance parts from Majestic Honda, but there are less expensive sellers I think. Use the first two to get part numbers and then google around.... A lot of dealers sell cheap through Amazon.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Good deal... I wouldn't mind putting on a aftermarket intake, but at $200+ , I'm not feeling it much. Especially for basically zero gains. From the little I have had a chance to read DIY intakes seem to trip engine codes based on the maf sensor iirc, so thats out too.. I've been down the road of modifying cars for about 8 years, and will not do it to a fit , lol.. There is just no point. I just sold my 500whp 2004 srt4 a year ago to be a little more practical, so I'll hold on to those intentions , but just want to try to get the most out of this little fit as I can. So if a intake ( as sad as it sounds ) helps gas mileage or gains any HP, I would consider it, but the price per $/performance value would have to justify itself

Quick Reply: 51r Duracell Battery from Batteries Plus Fits in my 2011 Honda Fit Sport