2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

Touch Up Paint help for 2013 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Question Touch Up Paint help for 2013 Fit

Hi all,
I've been riding around in my Blue Raspberry 2013 fit for about 7 months now and I'm pretty happy. My first paint scratch has happened and it isn't huge but it is bothering me and I'm trying to figure out the best way to fix it.

I saw this on Amazon:
Amazon.com: Genuine OEM Honda Blue Raspberry Metallic Touch-Up Paint (Color Code BG59M): Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine OEM Honda Blue Raspberry Metallic Touch-Up Paint (Color Code BG59M): Automotive

and also this (which is paint + clearcoat):
Amazon.com: ColorRite 2Tip Honda Fit Automotive Touch-up Paint - Blue Raspberry Metallic Clearcoat BG-59M - Color-and-Clearcoat Package: Automotive Amazon.com: ColorRite 2Tip Honda Fit Automotive Touch-up Paint - Blue Raspberry Metallic Clearcoat BG-59M - Color-and-Clearcoat Package: Automotive

I also saw a few other products when I googled the paint chip problem:
Select product. - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

Do I need clear coat? Would another product work? Thankfully it's not a huge nick but now that I know it's there it's bothering the heck out of me.

I appreciate the help! =)
Dawn

Old 06-06-2014, 01:49 PM
I just use the OEM touch up paint. Apply light coats and let it dry inbetween to build up the paint, polish and wax after (you don't have to but I did). I didn't clear or anything.

I've heard good things about the Dr. ColorChip too but i've never used it.

Old 06-23-2014, 04:15 AM
5 Year Member
I have used the DR. Colorchip, it was a better match than the oem touch up paint I had. Tip is to buy the basic kit, gives you enough paint to do a lot of chips, I used the smallest brush that was included and filled in the chips instead of the smear as per the instructions. Looks awesome. Give it a try and no need to buy the big fancy kit unless you just have to have it. My Fit is red.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Unhappy Messed up my car paint job

Hi,
Well I'm a dingaling and apparently messed up the front of my car. The good news is that you can't really see it just looking at it but I did a decent enough job screwing up and gouging the paint that I know (in my vastly limited car knowledge) that I need to fix it so that I protect the car and don't get rust spots. I must have pulled in somewhere and rubbed up on a parking space stopper (yep, that's the official name of the cement thingies in my world) and I'm just pissed at myself and feel stupid.

Here's a pic of the damage - it's on both sides of the car
picture of the damage

Originally Posted by Slowira
I have used the DR. Colorchip, it was a better match than the oem touch up paint I had. Tip is to buy the basic kit, gives you enough paint to do a lot of chips, I used the smallest brush that was included and filled in the chips instead of the smear as per the instructions. Looks awesome. Give it a try and no need to buy the big fancy kit unless you just have to have it. My Fit is red.
I already bought an OEM paint bottle of the teal but I think I'm going to do what Slowira did and buy the basic kit from Dr. Color Chip. Do you think there is enough paint and sealant to take care of the damage? If I don't buy the kit would it behoove me to buy a bottle of sealant? Can I pick that up in an auto store or is it better to buy online? Any specific brand?

Since I did a good job of gouging the paint do I need to somehow sand/buffer the gouges down with something?

Thanks guys - I feel so silly and can totally kick myself for doing this to my car.

Dawn

Old 08-17-2014, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Just saw this thread as I was about to make my own. I just installed the mugen rear under spoiler and since its brand new, now all the chips around the hatch stand out a lot!

I was hoping to see if anyone else had used that little bottle of touch up paint for minor chips and such and if there was more prep work and follow up work other than washing and then letting the paint dry.

I'm interested to see how yours turns out and if you use it on any other small chips on the car let me know. I will continue to search the forums just in case.

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, my wife has put a lot of such dingaling scratches on my 09. i too just
used factory touchup paint and cant really see it unless im looking for it.

i suggest you wipe the area clean with some rubbing alcohol before you apply.
if there is some rough plastic sticking out, you can trim it off with a knife before
you start.

just putting some touchup will make it look a lot better. GL!

Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by MrStix
Just saw this thread as I was about to make my own. I just installed the mugen rear under spoiler and since its brand new, now all the chips around the hatch stand out a lot!

I was hoping to see if anyone else had used that little bottle of touch up paint for minor chips and such and if there was more prep work and follow up work other than washing and then letting the paint dry.

I'm interested to see how yours turns out and if you use it on any other small chips on the car let me know. I will continue to search the forums just in case.

Thanks!
I'll post pics when I'm done (granted if you find another rad way to fix the damage please let me know too)

Originally Posted by kenchan
yah, my wife has put a lot of such dingaling scratches on my 09. i too just used factory touchup paint and cant really see it unless im looking for it.

i suggest you wipe the area clean with some rubbing alcohol before you apply.
if there is some rough plastic sticking out, you can trim it off with a knife before you start.

just putting some touchup will make it look a lot better. GL!
So you didn't use sealant?

Should I use an exact knife to get as close as possible vs sanding/buffering (whatever you call it with car paint)?

Thanks guys!

Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by graphixgurl

So you didn't use sealant?

Should I use an exact knife to get as close as possible vs sanding/buffering (whatever you call it with car paint)?

Thanks guys!

sealant? you mean primer? no i did not use primer. it's recommened but i figured it'll get scratched again by wife so didn't. i just cleaned off the area and applied touchup directly. the car goes through harsh salty winters here, but no issue with it chipping off...

and yah, just use your knife (i just used my fine box cutter, no real need for exacto knife) and remove any plastic that's burred.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:16 PM
sealant? you mean primer? no i did not use primer. it's recommened but i figured it'll get scratched again by wife so didn't. i just cleaned off the area and applied touchup directly. the car goes through harsh salty winters here, but no issue with it chipping off...

and yah, just use your knife (i just used my fine box cutter, no real need for exacto knife) and remove any plastic that's burred.
I meant a clear sealant on top of the paint. No harsh winters in Florida (though I'm looking to change that).

I was an art major so I happen to have exactos around

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2014, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Just use the paint (I think the oem has clear mixed in it). No need for addition clear/sealant spray. Unless you've done it a lot not worth the trouble of making things even worse. For me, least amount of fiddling is best because I'm too critical of my work.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Just looked at the pics of the damage. I think you could still use the oem paint pen (has brush on one side) or Dr chip and brush. If it didn't turn out good you could always clean it up real nice and get a thin strip of black vinyl (or other desired color) and just wrap that bottom edge. Stickers might be fun too.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:38 AM
It looks like you dinged the paint on the plastic bumper cover, if so, it will not lead to a rust spot as no actual metal is exposed. For touch ups there is probably no real advantage to sealing over it with a topping of clear coat. Its about not being able to see the repair, so having the color match and not being able to see the edge where old meets new. If you are at Ringling, then perhaps a classmate might have the required talent and skills to create an invisible repair.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Oneoldphlaytis
It looks like you dinged the paint on the plastic bumper cover, if so, it will not lead to a rust spot as no actual metal is exposed. For touch ups there is probably no real advantage to sealing over it with a topping of clear coat. Its about not being able to see the repair, so having the color match and not being able to see the edge where old meets new. If you are at Ringling, then perhaps a classmate might have the required talent and skills to create an invisible repair.
@Oneoldphlaytis - Cool thanks for the input. As far as the edge where old meets new is there a solid way of smoothing that out? I actually used to do all the old fashioned artsy fartsy things in college so painting doesn't scare me. I wish I had gone to Ringling

@carboy- Lol on the vinyl. Thankfully it could be worse but I hate knowing it's there.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
I meant a clear sealant on top of the paint. No harsh winters in Florida (though I'm looking to change that).

I was an art major so I happen to have exactos around

Thanks!

some touchups require a clearcoat on top of the base coat. i dont remember off hand if the honda oem paints already had that
premixed gloss or not.

wat you can do (since you are an art major you already know this) is mix the gloss with the basecoat 50/50 for a single application if you prefer to do it that way. easier to control the overall touchup paint's height.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:17 AM
some touchups require a clearcoat on top of the base coat. i dont remember off hand if the honda oem paints already had that
premixed gloss or not.

wat you can do (since you are an art major you already know this) is mix the gloss with the basecoat 50/50 for a single application if you prefer to do it that way. easier to control the overall touchup paint's height.
Oh that's a good idea but what clear coat should I get? Is it something I can pick up at an auto parts store or online?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
Oh that's a good idea but what clear coat should I get? Is it something I can pick up at an auto parts store or online?
if you're going with honda touchup, they sell clearcoat. if you go with duplicolor touchup, they also sell their version clearcoat. my recommendation is to use the same brand to mix, unless you are going to do 2 separate coats between base and clear.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:34 AM
Old 09-11-2014, 11:12 AM
if you're going with honda touchup, they sell clearcoat. if you go with duplicolor touchup, they also sell their version clearcoat. my recommendation is to use the same brand to mix, unless you are going to do 2 separate coats between base and clear.
I didn't realize that there were all different types of clear coat but that certainly makes sense. Guess I need to search the interwebs for some (I have Amazon Prime so hopefully it's there).

Originally Posted by Oneoldphlaytis
Thanks I will.

=)

Old 09-11-2014, 12:44 PM
if you look around the site, there are a bunch of videos, some are like commercials but some are off YouTube/homemade ones where the guy at the end says "well, I guess I would have done that a little differently" If you watch a few it will make you feel a little more comfotable.