2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Fit Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by CalcuLass
I also considered bending back the prongs, has anyone tried this? I think if I could just angle it back maybe 10 degrees it would be perfect. My head would then be in a very natural position, and I could still be looking forward. I just want to be able to sit up straight without touching the headrest..

The headrest angle is still a problem for me. I intend to straighten the shafts a bit, but don't have a big enough vise. Is that something a bodyshop would have?

Anyway. this was discussed on another thread. And another Fitter straightened the posts and he reported it worked.

I found the thread. Now, how to link it?
It's only a one page thread and about 11 posts down is the person who straightened them. "longenes" is the name.

I can't figure out how to link to the thread, so I'm going to bump it up.
Thread title is "New headrest"

Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 PM
dgs
The head rest angle is borderline sadistic. I also find the seats to be lacking lumbar support and my lower back aches a little bit on longer drivers. The first mod I'm doing to my car is seat replacement. Yes I know I will lose the side airbags and the active head restraints but I plan on keeping the car for many years and there is no way I can live with these seats for that long. I'm going to get some VERY comfortable Recaro's or something of that quality.

I will use my end-of-year company bonus money (it's a generous bonus) to replace the seats. I might even take it one step further and replace them with heated leather Recaro's. I'm not sure what yet, but I do know it's not going to be cheap. I figure if I get nine years of happiness from comfortable seats the expense will be worth it.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cardinal
The headrest angle is still a problem for me. I intend to straighten the shafts a bit, but don't have a big enough vise. Is that something a bodyshop would have?

Anyway. this was discussed on another thread. And another Fitter straightened the posts and he reported it worked.

I found the thread. Now, how to link it?
It's only a one page thread and about 11 posts down is the person who straightened them. "longenes" is the name.

I can't figure out how to link to the thread, so I'm going to bump it up.
Thread title is "New headrest"
If you want to link to a specific post then just click on the "(permalink)" at the upper right of the post and then copy the link from your browser. You can then paste the link wherever you need it to be.

Anyway here is the link to the post you mentioned: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post643339

Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by Virtual
If you want to link to a specific post then just click on the "(permalink)" at the upper right of the post and then copy the link from your browser. You can then paste the link wherever you need it to be.

Ahh-haa. Thank's!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I haven't had an issue with the lumbar support, it's much better than any other car I've had, so I give Honda kudos for that.

I will see what I can do about straightening those shafts this weekend! In the meantime, I've leaned the seat back just a tad further than I prefer, and the headrests are a little better now.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM
FitFreak GE8 DIY Guy
5 Year Member
Old 07-17-2009, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
07-08 headrests will not fit the 09s.... I tried.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Complain to Honda about headrests

Hi All- I love my 2009 fit but the front headrests are truly painful for me. I know many other feel the same way. I just called Honda customer service and filed a complaint. They said they've received several calls about the headrest problem and that if enough people complain to them, they will have to look into the problem which could result in a recall or update. Please call and register this complaint. It only took me about 5 minutes. Here is the number: 1-800-999-1009

Old 12-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Since the inception of this thread, I have heard grousing from some folks with other brands of new cars, due to Federal regs.
Having done such a swell job on the headrests, I can't wait to see what a whole car from Obama Motors looks like...
Moon

Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
As I've written in other posts related to this, the issue seems to be highly personal; neither my wife nor I have any issue with the 2009 headrest design, with 1"-2" between the backs of our heads and the headrest while driving.

Lumbar support is another personal issue; for $5 you can buy a mesh lumbar support that straps to the seat back, and also provides some airflow. I drove from Pennsylvania to Georgia last weekend, and can attest that these really work.

If the Fit's seats don't fit you, buy a different car; there is no such thing as one size fits all.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
I dunno I am still 28 years old and have no back problems.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Selden
If the Fit's seats don't fit you, buy a different car; there is no such thing as one size fits all.
I'm still fiddling with where I fit the best in the Fit. It's been on a couple two hour trips, and a buddy took his to the beach, 5+. It does fit differently than my bride's uberpanzer Audi, which is our usual trip car.
The headrest aren't a problem for me, personally.
My point was that Fits aren't the only car with the issue.
Moon

Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Angry tried bending the headrest post

After a year of being bumped in the head I finally worked up the courage to try to bend the posts on my headrest.
I used a very hard oak jaw made to fit the post and clamped in a three-foot pipe clamp that held well. The put a pipe over the post and tried to bend.
Those posts are hardened. No way could I bend them. Besides, they are tubular and bending risks them collapsing.
Guess we'll have to wait until someone makes a better replacement.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Fit headrest is killing me

I am so upset, ready to trade my brand new Fit with 12 miles on it for Nissan Versa, which I looked at but decided to go for Honda quality. Being an 18 year long Honda customer I feel that I was let down. By the time I got home my neck was in pain. I can't return the car to the dealer, the cost of purchase is almost $2000 (tax and fees), I am so upset that I did not check out the damn headrest. There is no way to reverse the headrest as it has grooves only on one side.

I complained to the dealer and nearly cried on the phone. Their service manager is contacting Honda for the solution. But I beleive that unless we all take a route of formal complaint, nothing is going to change. I also filed a complaint iwth NHTSA.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/contact.cfm

Last edited by No_Honda_ever; 07-12-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by minleen
Hi All- I love my 2009 fit but the front headrests are truly painful for me. I know many other feel the same way. I just called Honda customer service and filed a complaint. They said they've received several calls about the headrest problem and that if enough people complain to them, they will have to look into the problem which could result in a recall or update. Please call and register this complaint. It only took me about 5 minutes. Here is the number: 1-800-999-1009
Great idea and thanks for the info! I will call first thing tomorrow. I also filed a formal complaint with NHTSA saying that Honda forces me to drive unsafely without head rest, otherwise the car causes me major health problems.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/contact.cfm

I filed a formal complaint with Honda and insisted that they give me a case number and follow up with me on my complaint. I also notified them that I filed a complaint with NTHSA.

Last edited by No_Honda_ever; 07-13-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
it's all fun and game until someone, God forbid, looses a vertebrae.

I can manage the headrest on my 2010 Fit but it was my 08 CRV which was a lumbar nightmare. Worst seat ever on the 08CRV

Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Both my wife and I noticed the headrests when we first got the Fit, but I haven't given them a second thought 'till I revisited this thread.
If you can ignore the problem for awhile, it might just go away. Did for us.
Agree that modding the brackets might be a bad idea.
Moon

Old 07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Thanks!

Moon, thanks for reply. I am looking at all the options. Ignoring it is not an option to me, I can't drive longer than 15 minutes in this car. I am checking out seat cushions and pillows that might work. For those with neck problems like me, this car is a deal breaker.

I filed a formal complaint with Honda and insisted that they give me a case number and follow up with me on my complaint. I also notified them that I filed a complaint with NTHSA. 1-800-999-1009

Last edited by No_Honda_ever; 07-13-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:15 PM
NHE, my bride mentioned the headrest brushing the back of her hair, and I recall noticing it when I first got the car. I fiddled with the seat and backrest angle, and the steering wheel reach and rake (wish that were a little closer as well), and presently the problem simply went away.
I know your're upset about this (your sig kinda gives it away...), but I wouldn't fixate on it to too great a degree. It is unlikely Honda can do much for you...I'm sure they designed the seats and rests in compliance with a Federal standard, and they will be hesitant to change them at the price of being out of compliance.
If you think the mandated headrests are a pain, have you tried one of the new Federal gas cans? They are virtually unusable.
Moon

Old 07-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I miss my heat massage addition I had in my previous car. It only lasted 2 years. Time to get another one.

Quick Reply: Fit Headrests