2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Don't Wanna Replace HU, Is Speaker Upgrade Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Don't Wanna Replace HU, Is Speaker Upgrade Worth It?

Hello All,

I just bought an '09 Fit Sport (Blue Sensation) last week and I am satisfied with the audio quality, but my inner desire to upgrade crap is creeping in.

I keep on researching speaker replacements for the fronts and rears (6.5") but continue to go back and forth about what to do.

Here are some questions that have entered my mind recently:

1. If I upgrade the speakers, is the risk of taking apart the door and hacking stuff up, and all the headache that can go along with it, and the potential needs of Dynamat-type products worth it?

2. Since I want to keep the HU stock, and I end up upgrading the speakers, am I going to need a separate amp if I put in a pair of 6.5" components up front with the tweeter mounted in front of the woofer such as the way some Infinity sets have the starfish design? I know the Reference and Kappa lines have 2 ohm loads and high efficiency ratings, but will the HU's built in amp be powerful enough to power speakers like that? Here is an example:
Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 6020cs 6.5-Inch Two-Way Component System (Silver/Black): Electronics

3. If an amp is required, what is the best way to incorporate an amp without it being visible? The front seats have a slant underneath that may not work...not sure. Plus, if an amp is required, is the stock battery going to be able to handle a system such as this? I don't want any subwoofers, I want to maintain storage space and mainly want audio quality.

Don't get me wrong, I go back and forth with the stock sound quality, but there is no doubt that some things could be considered in upgrades.

If there has anyone out there who has actually done some upgrades such as the ones I have discussed, please share your feelings on your results.

Did you upgrade your speakers? Was it worth it? Did you Dynamat the doors? Was it worth it?

Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Polk Audio DB651s Slim-Mount 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers seem to be the most cost-effective option; no amp needed, pretty much a straight drop-in

Old 08-21-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm putting the Infinity Kappa series in, the ones without the components. U already put the rears in while I'm waiting for my dash kit, and now I can barely hear them. So no, the stock HU certainly does not have the power that they want. You will certainly need to put an amp it.

BUT if you put an amp in, you're going to be amplifying the horrible processing that the cheap stock HU has. And it is BAD. All you will hear is noise, and chances are it'll sound worse with the Infinities (or any after market speaker). It doesn't matter how much EQ you can throw on there, it'll still sound bad.

Save yourself the frustration and go ahead and plan to upgrade the stock HU. Unfortunately, theres no way around it. Oh, and make sure you get 3/4 inch speaker spacers for those Infinitys. They are very deep.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:40 AM
ahh this always happens. i said i wasnt going to do anything either. but then i walk into my room and see my system laying on the floor from my truck... it wasnt long before it went in haha

1 you wont need dynomatt, unless u go with something serious... sure it will help, but definatly not nessisary.

2 if you go with component speakers you need an external amp, or they will sound terrible. i always love when people put component speakers into a system powered by the headunit and they cant understand how they spent all this money and it sounds bad. these guys are ment for higher quality sound then a headunit.

3. you might be able to fit it under the seats, if not, ive seen people stick it under the floor in the trunk about the spare tire. and yes, your electrical system will have no problem powering 1 amp. esp being that it wont be very big because its for the speakers, not the subs.

your best bet is to go with components and an amp. if u go with coaxles, with no amp... you will notice almost nothing. the problem with the stock system is the headunit. so an amp will fix that for ya if you have a low quality signal going to the speakers, no matter how good they are, the speakers wont live up to their full potential. and if u put an amp in, you might as well spend a few extra bucks and get the components.

so far my upgrades consist of headunit, subs and amp. it was like night and day when i put in the headunit. the stock speakers really surprised me. id love to add another amp for components, but i really dont think id be able to power 1 big amp and a small one on the stock electrical system. maybe ill throw in some coaxles... but right now im pretty happy. hope this helps!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by MetalHead88
ahh this always happens. i said i wasnt going to do anything either. but then i walk into my room and see my system laying on the floor from my truck... it wasnt long before it went in haha

1 you wont need dynomatt, unless u go with something serious... sure it will help, but definatly not nessisary.

2 if you go with component speakers you need an external amp, or they will sound terrible. i always love when people put component speakers into a system powered by the headunit and they cant understand how they spent all this money and it sounds bad. these guys are ment for higher quality sound then a headunit.

3. you might be able to fit it under the seats, if not, ive seen people stick it under the floor in the trunk about the spare tire. and yes, your electrical system will have no problem powering 1 amp. esp being that it wont be very big because its for the speakers, not the subs.

your best bet is to go with components and an amp. if u go with coaxles, with no amp... you will notice almost nothing. the problem with the stock system is the headunit. so an amp will fix that for ya if you have a low quality signal going to the speakers, no matter how good they are, the speakers wont live up to their full potential. and if u put an amp in, you might as well spend a few extra bucks and get the components.

so far my upgrades consist of headunit, subs and amp. it was like night and day when i put in the headunit. the stock speakers really surprised me. id love to add another amp for components, but i really dont think id be able to power 1 big amp and a small one on the stock electrical system. maybe ill throw in some coaxles... but right now im pretty happy. hope this helps!
So what HU and sub/amp did you install?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:22 AM
5 Year Member
My opinion based on a 08 Fit Sport is: Keep the speakers, get a different HU. I replaced my HU with a Pioneer one, not even expensive, and it sounds sooo much better. The speakers ion the Fit are not that bad, it's just the HU that makes the whole thing sound terrible.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by jcschlic
So what HU and sub/amp did you install?
its an eclipse cd 5030

Old 08-22-2009, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
Try a different HU that has the same OHM load as the stock setup. I've seen pics of the Fit speakers, they don't look all that bad. A HU upgrade will change a lot, trust me.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM
I second that^^ Just installed a Pioneer AVH P3100DVD and the stock speakers have gotten a new lease on life! I never, ever, would have thought that they could sound as good as they do with the new HU. The trouble with the 08 Sport sysytem is all in the head unit, I know that for a fact now.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Thirding the above. HU upgrade > speaker upgrade. You can get a damn nice unit for under $150.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
I second that^^ Just installed a Pioneer AVH P3100DVD and the stock speakers have gotten a new lease on life! I never, ever, would have thought that they could sound as good as they do with the new HU. The trouble with the 08 Sport sysytem is all in the head unit, I know that for a fact now.
Did it fit in there perfect or did you need an adapter? Also, is it the same wattage as the stock system?

I was listening to a song on my PC that I had just listened to today on the way home. I was able to hear little things that I never heard in my car's stereo. That's sad.

*runs to crutchfield to check out new stereo options*

Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Did it fit in there perfect or did you need an adapter? Also, is it the same wattage as the stock system?

I was listening to a song on my PC that I had just listened to today on the way home. I was able to hear little things that I never heard in my car's stereo. That's sad.

*runs to crutchfield to check out new stereo options*
its the same wattage, but a much higher quallity sound. u gotta get the faceplate, and a lot of times it doesnt fit 100% flush with everything

Old 08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Your sound is only as good as the originating source. Replace the hu

Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 PM
My HU came from Crutchfield with the Metra dash kit which comes with everything you need to install the new radio. It fits in the dash as though Honda put it there originally, color match and contour are perfect IMO. The wattage is the same as the OE stereo at 200 watts but the difference in sound quality is difficult to describe adequately. Suffice to say that you won't believe you put up with the stocker for as long as you have! I will eventually replace the speakers but I think for now I will probably get a powered sub and high-pass the interior speakers so they live longer LOL. Believe me i was more dead-set than most on NOT cracking the dash open but i am sooooo glad I did.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:38 PM
FWIW just go with SonicElectronix. MUCH better prices, you'll get the dash kit as well. I think it's a Metra kit?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, i knew i could have got the unit cheaper from some one else but Crutchfield made it so easy with all the harness' and the dash kit in one box I couldn't resist!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Crutch is definitely the standard-bearer for car electronics, I'm just saying for future purchases there are indeed other options.

Excellent sig.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:08 AM
Well, I finally installed my new HU the other day. I had already put some Infinity Kappas in the rear doors when I was bored. Those with the stock HU were quite sad. The Kappas want 70 watts RMS, so the HU's 12 watts RMS (I think) hardly powered them. I put in a Pioneer DEH-P6100BT that runs 35 watts RMS, and during an hour long drive I destroyed the stock speakers in the front. The first thing I noticed is that the stock speakers have absolutely no high end at all. It's like listening to music through a sock.

While the stock HU is horrible, the stock speakers are hardly a step above. Putting a $150 unit in is very good and ten times better than the stock. Upgrading the speakers by spending maybe $60 per pair would make a world of difference. Have you seen the stock speakers? I think I have bigger magnets on my refrigerator.

Also, on a side note, I used the Schosche kit. The color is spot on, but the fitment is a tad off. It bugs me just a little, but it's certainly worth being able to actually HEAR my music! I'll be putting in my Alpine 4 channel amp under the passenger seat and my Alpine Mono block sub amp under the driver seat this week hopefully. Then I get to start teaching myself how to fiberglass!

Moral of the story: Upgrade your HU first, then your speakers. It's a must, there isn't much of an alternative.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 AM
if you decide to go with crutchfield, i have a 20 dollar off code for ya. you just have to spend over 200 and its an instand 20 bucks off... the prices are standard on headunits, but u end up getting the 2 wiring harnesses free, and the dash kit for half off (25 bucks) so in the end, crutchfield is probally the better deal.

with all the above said, you are still stuck on keeping the stock headunit, an amp would stillgreatly improve sound quality.... but it will still be noisey because of the processing from the headunit. and of coarse an aftermarket headunit with an amp would be the best.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Well I greatly appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. I may end up going with the Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD at some point or something very similar. Plus, some decent upgrade for the front speakers.

I think my original concerns/fears around upgrading the HU all stem from the fact that I had a car broken into about 7 years ago and the HU, amp, and subs were stolen. I am convinced it's because they went car-to-car peering into the windows and looking for aftermarket HU's. (it was at a movie theater parking lot)

I just need to grow the balls to take the plunge and not worry about the past, and park in well-lit areas!

Quick Reply: Don't Wanna Replace HU, Is Speaker Upgrade Worth It?