2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

DIY GE8 Factory Armrest Install

Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM
DIY GE8 Factory Armrest Install

This is my first DIY install so please feel free to critique me as needed. Please remember that this is at your own risk and neither I nor Fit Freak is responsible for any issues that you encounter. Let’s dive in!

This DIY is for the factory Honda armrest installation and will take roughly 45 minutes to do. It took me this amount of time because I had to dig around my storage unit for a drill and other tools so I think it should take roughly 30 minutes for a standard install time. Here is your tool list:
14mm Socket and Wrench
12mm Socket
10mm Socket
#2 Phillips Head Screwdriver
Medium Sized Flat Head Screwdriver
¾’ Spade or Hole Saw
1/8” Drill Bit
5/16” Drill Bit
Now for the fun part is the install:
Step 1, Stock Armrest removal (Sport Model)
Remove the armrest center cap using a flat head screwdriver. It is very easy to pop out. You can either discard it or save it if you want to sell the stock armrest as a kit later.

Next, remove the armrest using a 14mm socket. My picture shows a wrench but I highly suggest a socket to keep your hands from getting beat up.

Third, remove the stopping bolts. This is done using a 14mm wrench. You might be able to use a deep well socket but I didn’t try it so I don’t know for sure.

Here is a photo after they are removed.

Fourth, Install block off plate utilizing bolt and plate supplied in the kit. Remember to look on the plate to see which direction is forward. On mine it was the thicker side that when to the front of the car.

Fifth, install the plastic plug into the block off plate. It snaps in really easily and make sure it lines up with the designated slots.

Step 2, Console removal
First, start by removing the felt liner from the rear cup holder and then remove the screw under it. This screw is removed using the #2 phillips screwdriver.

Second, remove the cap underneath the emergency brake. This is done using the flat head screwdriver placing it in a small slot closest to the ebrake.

Third, remove the cup holder. This is done by prying it up by the slot nearest to the shifter.

Fourth, remove the plastic pop in rivets on each side of the front of the console. This is accomplished by unscrewing them a little bit with a flathead screwdriver then pulling them out. If they are spinning on you pull out gently on the console plastic to put pressure on the rivet.

Fifth, turn the key to the on position and put the car in drive. Make sure that you pull the emergency brake prior to doing this.
Next, begin to pull up on the back of the console. I pulled at the back base of the console. The back will pop up a little but until it gets to the center holder. This will take a little more effort to get up but not a whole lot. DO NOT pull on the sides of the console. This can break the plastic and then you are in a world of hurt. It should free up pretty easily and you have to keep lifting on the rear of the console and pull backward to remove. I did not have any trouble doing this but it sounds like others have.

Step 3, installing mounting bracket
First, remove the ebrake cable mount using a 12mm socket.

Last, install the new mount with the tall portion of the angle facing the rear of the car and bolt down using a 12mm socket

Step 4, Drilling mounting holes
Start by locating the drilling locations on the bottom of the cup holders and rear. It is shown by an X inside of a circle.

Next, mark the center of the X with a center punch or something sharp. This allows you to properly center your drill bit so that you do not miss-drill your location. This is highly important because this is how you align the armrest with the console.

Then, predrill your locations using a 1/8” drill bit. This allows you to again center your drill bit properly so you don’t have alignment issues.

Next, drill the cup holder bases with a 5/16” drill bit. Remember to keep this aligned well.

Then, using the ¾” spade or hole saw drill out the sides of the console. If using a spade bit like I did make sure that you use some speed and go straight on with the bit. It will prevent it from snagging and breaking the plastic. I almost did this myself because I was going to slow on the first hole.

Step 5, installing the armrest
First, slip the armrest into the console with the metal end to the rear.

Second, flip the console and armrest over. Put the black spacer over the two protruding plastic nubs on the front cup holder and use the two plastic screws to hold it on. Then place the metal plate on with two of the 10mm bolts supplied in the kit. It can only go on one way.

Step 6, reinstalling the console
First, make sure the shifter is in drive and the ebrake is up.
Second, install the console with the front down and the armrest in the air. Slide it over the shifter and ebrake and press down on the center to snap it back in place.

Third, install the two 10mm bolts supplied in the kit into the holes you drilled. You will probably have to press down on the armrest to align the holes into the mounting position.

Next, install the rubber grommets into the drilled holes. This hides the bolts that you installed.

Then, snap the plate back into the spot in front of the ebrake front to back.

Next install the front cup holder’s front to back.

Last, install the plastic pop rivets. Make sure that you do not press the centers of the rivets because that will lock them before they are pressed all the way in. If you have to install the base and then the center after the base is in.

Here is a photo of the final product!

I hope this was fun and helpful and if you have any questions please PM me. Keep modding all!

Last edited by jamfred; 02-18-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Nice writeup, I installed mine not too long ago and it came out great.. How do you like those weather tech's? do you use them with the factory carpet mats?

Btw...Ur car needs a good vacuum haha. Also i think this should be in the GE8 DIY section

+rep

Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM
I love the weathertech's! I am not a big fan of the water soaking into the stock carpet mats so I took them out and used these. Much better for snow and dirt. Yeah, yeah, I know I need to clean her out. Bad thing is that I only have a parking spot and not a garage so I really have nowhere to go to clean her very well.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
great writeup! +rep!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Very nice instructions. They helped when I installed my armrest. Thanks for the details and pictures

Getting the console out took a bit more force than I thought it would. Wiggling it while pulling seemed to help.

This will be a nice addition to my Fit.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
Taking more stuff out of my fit getting ready to get rid of it

Old 03-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Nice. The console was one of the first mods on my GE. Managed to lose a few bolts and spent more time fishing for them than actually installing the console.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the write up and pics! I was going to have the dealer do this for me but after reading the instructions and seeing what is involved I think that this procedure is pretty straight forward

Hey 120 something bucks to spend on another accessory rather than for labor install right??

Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by viperjh16
Taking more stuff out of my fit getting ready to get rid of it

What's the point of this post? Are you selling an armrest you have? If so, you should say so. If not... then what?

Old 03-13-2011, 04:06 AM
Originally Posted by FitBerry
Nice. The console was one of the first mods on my GE. Managed to lose a few bolts and spent more time fishing for them than actually installing the console.
I lost one of the center bolts within the carpet. Slid down the hump and deep within the carpet and floor board. Tried fishing for it but after 30 minutes I gave up. Still pretty solid with one bolt holding on the parking brake cable.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sometimesjoe
I lost one of the center bolts within the carpet. Slid down the hump and deep within the carpet and floor board. Tried fishing for it but after 30 minutes I gave up. Still pretty solid with one bolt holding on the parking brake cable.
get one of those telescopic pen magnets. Amazon.com: Ken-Tool - Carica Telescoping Pen Magnet (17800): Home Improvement.

or, if you have a strong enough magnet (hint, speakers), put the magnet on the carpet over the spot where you think the bolt is... and pull it slowly towards the opening.

Plenty of things you can do.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sometimesjoe
Same thing happened to me. As I lifted the carpet to try and grab it, I heard it drop further down. Went into my box of honda bolts and pulled out a comparable one and screwed it in.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM
Very helpful DIY thread. I'm sure i'll do this in the future, bookmarking is in order.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 PM

Fifth, install the plastic plug into the block off plate. It snaps in really easily and make sure it lines up with the designated slots.

Im looking for these cover plate anyone know where i could get one? i know it came with the armrest. but, i only want the plate cover dont want to buy the armrest kit. I like to delete my stock armrest.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Well, unfortunately my fit was totaled a few weeks back so my armrest is now for sale. PM me if interested since I cannot post to the classifieds yet and I have a few fit items that I need to let go.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 AM
sent you a pm ^^^

Old 07-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Back at ya

Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 AM
I picked up this arm rest. I've been to busy to install it yet but I plan to soon. can't wait. I'm a little worried about shifting now though seeing that its bigger then it appears in the photos and sits quite high. I'll find out soon enough.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Exiled Lakai
I picked up this arm rest. I've been to busy to install it yet but I plan to soon. can't wait. I'm a little worried about shifting now though seeing that its bigger then it appears in the photos and sits quite high. I'll find out soon enough.
Worst case scenario just get a cool long shift knob to use like a fancy beer tap!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
Worst case scenario just get a cool long shift knob to use like a fancy beer tap!

Haha yeah I might do that when I get some more mods done. I installed it today and man its great to have an armrest. My base 5spd didn't have the chair armrest either so I'm pretty spoiled now. I just paid her off today and I have about 7k miles to go on the warranty so I'll start really getting into her soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY GE8 Factory Armrest Install